Universal Repulze (by Pixelbite)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Pixelbite_Games, Jan 2, 2013.

1. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Have the same issue unfortunately, same iOS version, iPad 3rd gen. Tends to break things quite a bit.

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    It's a good game as it stands, don't let comments from people who hadn't played it mislead you.

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #43 syntheticvoid, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    The only reason people were a little iffy about Beans Quest is that it was from a (then) newcomer Dev to the AppStore. IMO, Beans Quest, and how it built update after update was amazing. It was a total blast seeing ow that game developed from the beta stage (if youre wondering, i was lucky enough to be a tester... After version 1.0) all the way through to completion. It's not something we see very often in the iOS world, with so many games being abandoned by Devs (which is why many people were worried about BQ in the first place, not necessarily because of the Devs themselves, but because of other Devs)... I seriously can not count the number of games I bought that we're suppose to be episodic, or add on mode after mode promised from the Dev, but that we're abandoned after the original 1.0 version release simply because they thought that the game was going to sell 20,000 units in basically a beta stage, with no advertising, and poor Dev support on top of it.

If that's the case for why you're worried here... Pixelbite is already built up quite a rep, and I have no issues whatsoever with their pricing, and how they want to build it up. I actually wish more Devs would do this sort of thing (well, more Devs that have already established themselves a bit in the iOS world...)... As, like I said, it's not too often we get to see a game grow from a small package into a larger, and fully complete one.

As far as reviewers opinions go, I think that they'll be keeping Pixelbite's previous releases, and status among the iOS gaming crowd, in mind while writing their reviews, and although there will be warnings telling gamers that if they're looking for a FULLY COMPLETE title, that they should probably wait for a few updates to hit, the whole 'price will go up after each content update) will probably be a huge selling point... It has been with a few other titles (Grokion anyone...) - cept this time, it's coming from a Dev with a fairly large fan base, and knows what they're getting themselves into.

4. madebymadison

madebymadison Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Artist
    I'll but it, AND gladyly pay more, when a complete release is finished so this is a REAL racer with various modes, named appropriately. This, for now, is simply not enough. Love the gfx etc. But I need a game, not a time trial thing.
    So here's a future customer. Can't wait for the phass to update.

5. raymond_cgc

raymond_cgc Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Is two games I got earlier (this and the hundreds).

Between two, of course this is much better, plus it costing 3x lesser! Some say flashout, and I also play that. This is better every way. Lens falre graphics effect = mega win for me!

Only problems is that the turning/handling seem off. I play withda settings but not much can change. Anyone feels the turning is too stiff at first, then suddenly enter too much? Why not make it gradual and liner, the degress of turning?

Also, got a trick. Some ppl abov alreadi mentions it. No matter the track, if even locked, you can play...just clicks it!

I cant wait for some updates making this have circuit racing and multi players. But I do not wants the weapons.

6. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    #46 k1lljoy_89, Jan 3, 2013
    Reminds me greatly of Wipeout, an old PSP/PS3 favorite of mine

Will be getting it when it releases

7. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    There's a significant "dead zone" when using tilt steering, even at maximum sensitivity. Is this intentional? If so, can an option be added to disable it? I'm finding it quite disorienting for there to be no effect when tilting my iPad slightly, then having the ship "suddenly" lunge left or right when I am trying to make minor adjustments.

8. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    i'm really enjoying this in feels much better than flashout since you are not crashing a lot when driving, as in flashout the music is great as well being really smooth not even one slowdown but that should be a given since you are racing alone

But like the others it really needs opponents it would be my number 1 priority then weapons if is possible if not maybe try to add a multiplayer for now the leaderboards fulfilled this in a way

and one minor bug i have in my 4s is that when you open the leaderboards or the achievements during the game when you return to the game the screen is upside down so i have to rotate the device every time i open either one of those two, the other bug is also happening

It could be good as well having a sort of tutorial page at first i didn't find a way to know how many boost i have until i notice the bar (green/reed) below the number of laps as well a sort of indicator where its display at what speed we are going of course being a option in the settings

9. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Just keep your eye on the end goal.....an ark! Whoops sorry was thinking of another game:)

10. Shan82

Shan82 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Songwriter.
    USA
    #50 Shan82, Jan 3, 2013
    US iTunes link? It's not showing in the app store yet? :confused:

11. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

12. ssahnan

ssahnan Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    This is one of the more regrettable ios app purchases I have made in some time. My thirst for wipeout type racing suckered me in, all my fault. My wow are tilt controls horrible, way way to big a dead zone. In its current time trial type incarnation it gets boring super quick. This is a glorified tech demo. Price is irrelevant, this is a very incomplete game. I get that improvements are coming but you can not possibly use that as an excuse to release a game in such an incomplete form. Complete rush job. Few more months of work, it could have been something.

Buyer beware, I didn't. What a tease. What could have been. There is a template there, but can't believe they thought this was in releasable form.

13. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

#53 Habakuk, Jan 3, 2013
    Game Impressions

Yes. Tilt steering seems to be a bit off. Tried settings 0, 25, 50, 75 and 100. (Keeping 90 right now, maybe I'll get used to it. I never play racers with touch steering, except on the Mac.) Needed 8 attempts to reach the 2:10 goal in the first track. Really hard to steer in boost mode.

The second track is a bit easier for me (5 attempts to reach the time goal), and there is some traffic (slow and broad cargo transporters, hard to overtake sometimes). The second vehicle seems a bit easier to steer. Nice third track (night). Sometimes it "jumps" a bit in boost mode and then crashes into the ceiling (when there is a lug). Don't know how to avoid this, maybe I have to learn the tracks better and need more precise steering.

Positive: Level und menu design. The polarity thingy. Multi-language (German, written text, not voice over). Good speed feeling. Music and effect sounds okay. Promising.

The most important feature for me would be a local multiplayer option via WiFi or Bluetooth like in Asphalt 7. Don't care for combats with weapons.

(Tested with iPad 4.)

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    These tech demo comments are completely irrelevant and people need to stop with this whole "I wanted Wipeout. It isn't. I'm disappointed" BS. What you have here is essentially Wipeout meets Mikey Shorts meets Polara, and it works very, very well. If that sounds like something you'd like to experience, by all means pick this up and enjoy the game for what it is...not for something you want it to be.

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    It's far from being a tech demo. It's got an incredible sense of speed, great graphics and really is a lot of fun with the polarity gates. That said, it has the infrastructure to be an OUTSTANDING game. Not saying that in a bad way at all. The game is well worth the price of admission.

I just see so much potential here and I think Pixelbite knows it and that's why they've got plans for the future. Add opponents and I think it could easily blow away any iOS Wipeout wannabes. No, after reading the comments here, I knew it wasn't a Wipeout clone. But after playing it, it has me longing for the greatness it can achieve...and I'd be willing to pay for it. A racing vs others component would push this into the forefront (and I wouldn't mind weapons, but that's a matter of preference).

So, I wholly recommend this game as it stands. Just know it has so much going for it that it can be even better.

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    There's really nothing I'd disagree with in your post, to be honest. The game's fantastic in its current state (hell, if this was it and nothing more was to be added, I'd be happy [but that's not the case. ;)]) and it's going nowhere but up from here.

17. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Wanted to add that I'm truly amazed that they were able to get the quality of the graphics and a fantastic framerate for this in a mere 70.2 Mb installed size. There's games quadruple that size that don't look as good as this.

And it runs great in my paltry 3GS.

18. witedahlia

witedahlia Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2012
    I'm really enjoying it. Very fast paced and no-nonsense. The polarity thing is cool. I turned tilt controls off, works great for me.

19. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I am ok with non-combat as long as there are enough modes to play (just purchased it to find out). I hope they have or plan to have a race mode where the ship gets faster and faster every lap and you see how many laps you can get before your damage gets to 100% (no chance to repair ship). Wipeout pure had a mode like that called Zone. That is my favorite race mode of all games like this.

20. xStatiCa

xStatiCa Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    #60 xStatiCa, Jan 3, 2013
    I haven't played this game enough to judge it yet but not including this game AXL: Full Boost (only an iphone game) has the best control and fluid gameplay to me.

My initial impressions on this game are that the dead zone in the center for tilt control is a big problem for those that only like playing games like this with tilt control. AXL: Full Boost has that part nailed down. The framerate is not completely smooth in this game. There are no major hickups in framerate on my ipad 3 but I can see that there is some minor jitter in frame rate causing it to not look completely smooth like AXL: Full Boost while racing that just bugs me. I would much have lower resolution and or lower background stuff like buildings (with upscaling) and constant 30fps or 60fps (prefered) vs high res and lots of eye candy and inconsistent frame rate. The framerate should never drop below the set frame rate or it really distracts me from the game. Full Boost has that nailed down too from my experience(but AXL: Full Boost is not running at ipad retina resolution either since it is an iphone game).

I am certainly looking forward to see how this game shapes up with updates. The dead zone in the center is really keeping me from enjoying it right now because I prefer tilt controls for racing games. I hope the developers check out AXL: Full Boost to see how that handles.