Universal Republique - (by Camouflaj LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    My iPhone 5/iOS 7 stopped displaying updates that require iOS 8+ on my device after I had tried to install a few that weren't compatible...
    Maybe that's the case here?

I'm not saying it's unplayable on older OS, I know I played this on iOS 7... But to get the EP 5 update (or in some cases, even see the update), you'd have to have iOS 9.

2. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    There No Update Cause you're on iOS 8.4,it Not Show Updates That Require iOS 9.But There an Update,If You Start an Episode,It Say You Have an Older Version Of That Episode,and You Need to Redownload.That the Problem,And Without the Last Upate(Not The Update That Hit App Store Today) you Can't Play Even EP 4,It Crash in Same Point,A crucial Point,For Progress In the episode.They Released The Patch For That Crash Asking IOS 9..So,No Way To Play EP 4 Or EP 5.

3. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I always wondered why developers would make the latest iOS version be required. Is it some sort of iOS 9 specific feature that the game uses? Does requiring iOS 9 and higher somehow make the app more visible in searches? Just seems to be non beneficial to the developers to do this as you alienate a ton of people. What's the point of an app that can run fine on an iPad 2 but needs the most current iOS to work?

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Maybe it was in a contract they have with Apple... maybe it was just a marketing decision (one that I personally don't see the benefits of)... maybe some bugs that were fixed were fixed after iOS 8 and wouldn't work properly on anything iOS 7 or older anymore (didn't it use to be iOS 5 and up when it was first released, or am I just remembering that wrong?)... no clue...

But with that outrageous file size, there's no way I'm gonna be able to fit it on my current phone. Maybe I'll be able to in another couple years when I upgrade again...

I am curious to see what people think of the ending. I liked the beginning the first time I played through it... the next 3 times I was forced to start from the beginning it just got... meh...

I guess, like I said, I could always just ask my youngest if I could use her phone... or completely wipe my phone clear of everything so I could install this if I REALLY REALLY wanted to. =o/

5. krisko6

krisko6 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    College Student, Intern at an engineering company.
    Bakersfield, CA
    After two years, three months, and three days, this long episodic adventure has FINALLY concluded.

Gameplay wise, this gets back to the more traditional style of gameplay seen in episodes 1-3.
    I sided with Hope, who chose Mirelle. I'm pretty sure that if I sided with Zaeger, I would have had to murder the guards, though I don't know that for sure.
    I think this was definitely one of the best episodes in terms of its gameplay, since by this time you have just about all of the abilities for the phone unlocked. The new camera mechanic is great and forced me to use the expanded toolkit much more than I previously did. I did think the final stealth sequence, with multiple security cams was a bit excessive, however. I also loved how the "aside" logs were more integrated into the gameplay, as you needed to find them in order to advance.

The big knock against this though, is that the episode had very little space to explore, and even less to sneak around in. It felt more linear due to the events taking place in the story. Even though what was there was great, I felt that the gameplay kind of took a backseat in favor of narrative storytelling. The last third of the episode was pretty much all story, to the game's detriment.

I felt that the sequence inside the Terminus went on for far too long. You spent far too much time flying around and not enough listening to the snippets. Then hearing the snippets as parts of a larger whole didn't feel like a revelation, more like a tedious redundancy.

Then of course we HAVE to discuss the ending. BIG SPOILERS FOLLOW:

"Hope" is a clone of 390 that has Terminus' data encoded into her DNA. She is a backup. We hear testimonials from previous versions of 390 about the "problems" that the other hard drives had. Hope is the latest experiment, and appears to be a success - hence why Treglazov and the Prizrak are so hesitant to kill her.

I'm still not sure what exactly Hope's collar is supposed to be, but I'm guessing that it is some sort of device that provides controls for accessing the data, similar to the controls on the Terminus.

There are two things that I didn't understand. The first is why Mirelle/Zaeger/Cooper wanted Hope after they helped her escape. Why did Hope not want to come along with them? I can understand her not wanting to go with Treglazov and the US Government, but why them?

The second is what exactly happened in Episode 4. I'm still don't understand why her collar was broken, what that did to her, and just how much episode 4 fit into the overall plotline.

I found it interesting how at the end that despite the choice you make, Hope decides to drown herself anyway, destroying the last remnants of Treglazov's dream. It emphasizes that Hope is not the player, and that she is very much her own character. I'm still unsure how I feel about that choice, but it was a pretty bold move nonetheless.

While this was definitely a much better episode than four, I still left the game with a number of unanswered questions. In my opinion, Republique ended with neither a bang nor a whimper. I suppose some of that was due to how long the wait was to see the ending, and it probably plays better when experienced along with the other episodes. But it was certainly a fun ride while it lasted, and even with its flaws, it's still one of the best games on iOS for its ambition to expand the possibilities of a platform more associated with quick-hit distractions. I can't wait to see fan theories and discussions on this board, and hopefully my opinion of the episode and the game will improve along with them. I will also have to play the episode on the other path and see how the gameplay ends up being different.

Thanks you everyone at Camouflaj, for this adventure. And please, don't take so long to deliver your next project.

6. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    iPad Air 2 iOS 9 etc.
    It just doesn't restore purchases. I have tried everything I can think of

1.usual restore purchase button does nothing and trying to repurchase sits on a contacting AppStore popular
    2. Tried signing out but the app doesn't even recognise I'm not signed in to prompt for that.

Any ideas?

7. Joeschmoe

Joeschmoe Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Ok so I'm a baby but I'm sick of getting hope killed over and over. I'm playing episode four for the first time. I got through the graveyard okay and am now in the garden. How can I get away from the giant long enough to get photos of all the orange items? He's faster than she is so even running in circles doesn't get her away from him. Help please?

8. Joeschmoe

Joeschmoe Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I managed to get past him and finish the level as well as most of episode 5. I'm boggled by the "space" scene in episode five. I tapped on the yellow orbs and heard all the sound clips. Now what? No clue what to do.

9. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Anyone having an issue where the play button doesn't work on ep 2 or 3? Also, I lose my ep 3 save every time I restore from backup. I've had to replay the thing a few times at this point....

6 Plus.

10. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Is MFI support working again? He was broken last time I attempted to play this.

11. Zamrod

Zamrod Member

Apr 28, 2011
    No, I hadn't played it yet and a couple of days ago I decided since I had bought it and got a season pass it was finally time to try it. Only to find out that my MFi control didn't do anything in game. I emailed their support asking why it doesn't work.

12. Zamrod

Zamrod Member

Apr 28, 2011
    As an update, here is what their support finally answered with:

I apologize for the great delay in our response. As a starting studio, we've only recently had resources to devote to regular customer support. We now have staff available to support our users fully.

Republique does not have controller support at this time, but I will note your request. If we receive enough requests for a given feature, we will definitely consider it for a future update.

Please let me know if I can assist further!

Camouflaj Support

13. mjayg

mjayg Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Episodes supposed to be free for the holidays, don't see any way to buy them only season pass shows up...

14. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Just updated with 60hz and mfi!! And it works very well :)

15. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    I did too it’s at 60 FPS on 2017 and 2018 iPad Pro models

16. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    Graphics look as good as they did when it first came out in 2013 I remember playing it on my iPad 3rd generation episode two the opening cenematic was amazing in April 2014 on my iPad 3 it’s amazing how fast the A series chips advanced I have the 2nd gen iPad Pro now this is powerful processing power I’m amazed

17. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    Got yet another update to République fixing bugs and performance issues in 6.0.0 I have not experience any problems the update is 6.0.1

18. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    I finally picked up this up day before yesterday Can’t believe I waited so long to play this I’ve been chopping away at my wish list little by little that last couple of days to satisfy my addiction I should be playing more, which I have, btw because my games catalogue is just as big as my wish list if not bigger. I also want to get to a lot of these games before they become unplayable one way or the other

I also picked up The Oddworld bundle which was a hell of deal. So far so good with this one Only starting 2nd Ch. though, but really liking everything about it. The music and sound. Dialogue and story. The visuals. Gameplay. The game design and mechanics are AAA quality. I’m really impressed. I’m playing with a controller so I can’t really say anything about the touch controls yet, but I would assume their good. It seems there’s a fair amount of content which I think is impressive for how much I payed for the entire game. I hope this studio gets back to their mobile roots because I’m looking forward to more stuff from them

Skall and sebgo like this.
  19. agreen437

Jun 12, 2014
    République anniversary edition coming to switch I wonder if they’ll update mobile in the future to match the anniversary edition?

yankeeblue000 likes this.
  20. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016