iPad Repton "Defender type game"

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Rad, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    Since retro is in again I thought I would mention that Repton hit the app store. Its a defender type game.
    I didn't see any mention in the forums, may have missed it.
    Looks like I'm the only one that has bought it so far. The game play is actually pretty good and the controls work well.

2. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Welcome to the forums,

http://appshopper.com/games/repton

From the description

3. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Could you post a video of the game? I would like to see it....if you can't, no worries. I read your review in the app store, and I am interested.

Thanks!

4. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    It is?

5. there's always going to be retro enthusiasts

retro will never die

6. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    I hate retro games.

7. I'm pretty sure retro games aren't exactly inviting you over for dinner, either.

I love 'em -- but then I was around when they were new. Not really liking this one though. It almost looks like the author equates "retro" with "MS Paint." Sorry dude, but if you're going to retro it up, you need the chunk to go with it.

8. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
  9. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    The screen shots are not the best, game play is good though. Most of the new games of today have alot of flash and gameplay as an after thought or not at all.

10. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    Sorry no can do on the video (No Cam), never hurts to try to get a promo code out of the developer I tried to explain to him that he needed to lower the price to generate more interest.

11. True, but if you're going to go for a particular style, you've got to follow through with it, not just equate simple graphics with primary colours with retro. If the graphics were more pixellated then yes, that would probably go a long way to providing those retro-styled graphics, but it really does look like a half-assed attempt.

I do agree that the gameplay is the most important aspect, but I'm of the school of thought that you can't just focus on one aspect and make it great while the rest suffers. You need to at least try and provide the whole package, otherwise you're just building in your own Achilles heel. Screenshots are one of the key elements in the App Store that people tend to judge the rest of the game by -- and they're really the only thing people have to go by (apart from the description) to determine if it's worth buying, and the author just isn't doing himself any favours here.

I say that only because I hate to see developers shoot themselves in the foot with a good idea or one element of a game that's really good while the rest isn't.

12. drewk6502

drewk6502 New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    The author responds.

I am the author of Repton. I won't spend any time defending what I mostly describe as engineer art; engineering is what I get paid for at my real job not art.

I appreciate the advice on better screen shots and getting some video of the game play on YouTube.

I see the iPhone and iPod Touch as offering the same opportunities for independent development that were there when I wrote the original Repton back in '82 for the Apple II. I was pretty happy to be able to use more than than the six colors that were available to me originally. And, it was done in six months of after work hacking. Flying Saucer was the last 'real' game I worked on and it had a team of 25 people and a 2 million dollar budget. I just like what I've seen done by individuals and I wanted to see what I could put together.

Thanks again.
    AndrewK

13. GreenLightJerky

GreenLightJerky Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Senior support engineer, jerky guru
    California
  14. drewk6502

drewk6502 New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Let me know what you think. Or, if it is worth the $1, please post a reveiw on the app store.
    Cheers,
    AndrewK

15. GreenLightJerky

GreenLightJerky Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Senior support engineer, jerky guru
    California
    The game is great.
    I remember it on my C64.
    It actually seems more fun on the iPhone.

I will post an app store review soon.

16. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington

I’m jealous Andrew my first computer (not counting my Atari 400) only had CGA graphics 4 colors. I recall upgrading to glorious EGA 16 colors and really hitting the big time when I went to VGA 256.

One of my first PC adventure games back then was Kings Quest.

It was a fun time going from the BBS era to the internet.

Andrew you started the walk through memory lane with the 6 color comment.

Rad

17. drewk6502

drewk6502 New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Thanks for the positive words.
    Rad - after Repton I went to work at Infocom, where the only graphics were in your imagination.

18. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Repton is free now!
    It's a great game--good gameplay, nice retro graphics (for those of us who appreciate that type of thing!)
    Just FYI, for those of us who have been out of high school for a loooong time! ;)