iPad Replayability

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Maythius, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    I've been pretty active around the TA forums, and I notice a constant word that is misused and it is "replayability." I want to quickly clarify what makes a game have replayability:

"Any reason to play the game more than once."

It's as simple as that. When people complain that there is no replayability on games like Rolando(This is just an example), that is completely inaccurate because there are medals and achievements to earn, and unless you earned all those medals and achievements the first time through; there is replayability.

Another example is the game Edge. Sure there are only 26 levels, but were all the levels completed with an S Rank?

Again, whether you personally want to go back and achieve all S Ranks is entirely up to you, but you can't say there is no replay value when it is clearly present.

I hope this cleared things up for some people.:D

2. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    True, but once you unlock all achievements, that's it. Games with replayability are like Bejewled and Fuzzle.

3. CrocStock

CrocStock Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    It depends entirely on how you would view something as replayable. To me achieving ranks isn't appealing so I wouldn't say it has replayability.

4. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    Sure when you are talking about the amount of replayability Fuzzle does have more than a game like Rolando, but again that doesnt mean there is no replayability in Rolando.

Does that make sense?

5. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    Exactly, which is why I said:

Again, whether you personally want to go back and achieve all S Ranks is entirely up to you, but you can't say there is no replay value when it is clearly present.

*Sorry for the double post*

6. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    highscores are replay able. Papijump: 30.000;)

7. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    While I do consider that replay value should be an important factor in any game, a lot of the games that are released cost very little. If $10 is the premium price point on the store, you can't expect a bucketload of content for $5.

Besides, any game gets tiresome. Online play can extend a game's life for weeks if not months - but all too soon you'll be playing the next offering.

8. Ahiru

Ahiru Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    public servant
    nowhere near you!
    replayability stands for "randomly generated levels/puzzles/dungeons/items/etc" in my dictionary...

lock 'n' roll is free and has more replay value than most titles (specially the 10$ ones)

any puzzle game (not 3-match, but rather logical) that are "randomly" generated each play has great replay value - IF you like puzzles...

i don't see myself playing rolando again just for fun, after finding/unlocking/seeing everything... simcity on the other hand - i like trying new city designs and stuff...

i would love to see a port of diablo or something real close to it! would pay full price with no look backs.

9. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    replayability?

replayability is when you really, and i mean really, love the certain game. for example i go trough blackbeard's assault over and over again - and it's not the best game out there for sure, but it's awesome for ME.

as for the edege... i finished the it (without having "s" in every level) and at the moment i don't wont to play it one more time. maybe later. it's great and i loved playing it - but it's all for now.

10. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    How about SlotZ racer? That game has really good replayability, as you can make your own tracks and race with friends!

11. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    LOL I love your sig tunawrap!

12. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Replayabilty, to me, is wanting to go through a level again or wanting to complete a certain mission again just because that mission is fun, not to get a great time or finish collecting the jewels.

This isn't an iPhone game but I'll use it as an example:

Sonic Unleashed (360) has some awesome day stages where you're breaking the sound barrier. The controls and graphics are awesome. I love launching myself into the air and land only to start running across water. I'll play certain stages over and over again until they bore me completely.

I, however, sometimes have to replay levels to get coins to unlock more stages. That sucks a lot. I usually have to go through a stage three times to find 3/4 of the medals.

So there's good replayability and bad replaybility. It just depends on the player.

13. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I really don't care if it has replayibility. It just has to have a long play time. For example, Flick Fishing has next to 0 replayability, IMO. But it gave me a solid month's worth of playing. That is what I base my decisions about playtime on. Of course you also have to factor graphics and controls into that. I love the truly addictive games, like Trism and Quadrum:colors, but if it has a long play time, does it matter?

14. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    #14 Zincous, Jan 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
    I have found replayability in Trism for the last 7 months it's been out and I'm still playing. Even though I got all the achievements and beat the levels. Playing one game is never the same as another, plus playing different modes for different high scores is why I play. Knowing every single game I play could be the high score and that setting up new combos will always be challenging and fun. If your not at that point, then there's always something you can improve on in it.

So a game with replayability is one that you cannot reach a limit in the game. So edge is replayable because you can always get a better time or games where you can always get a better score. But something that can be beat and maxed out is a game with no replayability...

15. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    i can read it from your sig :D

16. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Lol yeah, Trism was just my example I was using....There's others...

Scoops is such a simple game as well but it will always be replayable. Always.

17. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    :D Thanks LOL!
    I have a good example: There's a game called Caster, it's a 3rd person action game (I think there's a free demo for Macs) and it has really high replayability for me, because once you level up your dashing, super jump, and blast power, it is really fun to just go to any random level, blow sh!t up, and fly 1000 feet into the air, creating a shockwave when you land. :eek:

18. jarikata

jarikata Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    To me replayability means having fun with the game. If the game is good and it interests me I can play it many many times even if there was no achievements left to gain. If game is palyed through it doesn't mean it has to be thrown away - if it is a good game. There are a lot of good games I have played over and over

19. Ahiru

Ahiru Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    public servant
    nowhere near you!

wow i remember playing Sonic Adventure (dreamcast) back then, even though i have beat it thousands of times, i would always come back to the 1st stage (the whale beach thing) - it was simply awesome! that's a kind of replayability that hooks me in... final fantasy vii (ps) is another great example - WAY TOO linear, but the story and events are so awesome that after a couple of years, i would start it over again - just like watching favortie movies - you know what's going to happen, but the pleasure to "revisit" that favorite part is what matters... condemned (xbox 360) is another great game that i enjoy re-playing it all over again every now and then! and there are lots of other "linear/short/single-player" games that i can play again and again...

odd though, haven't found any game with "great" levels/missions/scenes/etc to make it worthwhile playing again on the iphone/touch... for idevices, i think puzzle games are the best, in long time terms....

20. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think that everyone's criteria on replayability is different. Games don't have to have replay value to make me want to purchase them. As long as I think that I will get a minimum of a few hours enjoyment then I'm happy. For me, a game that I am willing to pick up and play after I've already beaten it is a replayable game.