iPad [Removed from App Store] Wolfenstein RPG (by Electronic Arts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by kapshin, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    Don't encourage any more RPG action games the only reason Doom was made into RPG was for low powered phones to make it easier to play. The Iphone doesn't have these limitations so IMO don't encourage them. I'm sure this is an OK game but just again not my cup of tea.

Off playing Spider and DukeNukem :)

2. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

I'd rather have both action RPG AND the original FPS games and believe that's id's strategy.

If DOOM/DOOM2 were released right now with the Wolfenstein 3D controls, it would be perfect.

I wonder if they do bring Quake I/II/III out how they will adapt the controls to the iPhone/iPod Touch? We've seen how Duke 3D turned out, but I think it's going to be difficult on a device with no tangible buttons or keys.

A pair of shoulder buttons would work pretty well right about now...

3. powersurge

powersurge Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Bought and downloading woohoo. I loved Orcs and Elves on DS. I really hope we get the other ID RPG's (including Orcs and Elves) to go a long with Doom and such (if they keep with the Wolf3d controls anyway. I almost bought Duke Nukem 3d today without checking the forum but now I'm holding off).

4. Shinobiwan

Shinobiwan Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Well I was hopelessly addicted to DoomRPG, and Orcs & Elves 1 and 2 on my old phone before it broke, so I would love to see them on the iPhone. Besides, the RPG ports are done by a different studio so there's no reason iD can't pump out the RPG series along side the usual iD games.

5. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    It'd be nice if they had some randomized "dungeons" like in rogue-like/dungeon crawler games. The game seems simliar.

6. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Is anyone else getting stuck in the cut-scene after opening the Golden Door after killing the two Super Soldiers?

7. MasonFried123

MasonFried123 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Ehhhhh CONTROLSSSSSS

This game needs something. I like the idea that its a copy of the original, but i think a lot of people witll agree that these new FPS games need a better control scheme. I think that having to take your finger and move the screen itself to look around really takes away a lot from these types of games. Still excited to play it. I will give my thoughts later on

8. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    It's not a copy, it's direct port. :)

9. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #149 Big Albie, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
    Review: Wolfenstein RPG a terrifically balanced, designed shooter for the rest of us

What would you get if FPS married RPG? You’d get a good looking Wolfenstein RPG, a turn-based shooter that exceeds my expectations and maybe yours as well. While the game is designed for the casual crowd, it’s still a great piece of gaming with an engaging story and a terrifically responsive control scheme that just works. I harp on this all the time, and will continue to do so until devs get this right. I don’t care what the graphics look like or if the storyline grabs you by the family jewels. If the controls don’t work properly, it’s an easy delete off my device. Wolfenstein RPG is a strong example of controls done right.

Unlike traditional shooters which tend to be full-on, gun battles, Wolfenstein RPG’s turn-based approach slows the game down. So if you’re looking for a fast-paced game, this isn’t it. When you shoot a bullet at an enemy, the enemy will take a shot back and so on. But having said that, the game is still fast, and the game is free roam until you get to the action when it becomes turn based. While the 2D graphics are old school, they fit the game perfectly and ran without hiccups on my iPod Touch 2g 3.0.

The story is set in World War II, and B.J. Blazkowicz once again must deal with our most hated enemies, the Axis Army a.k.a. Nazis within the confines of Castle Wolfenstein. Where the story gets interesting is that German scientists are getting creative with cloning meaning this game has zombies, mutants, wacked prisoners, enemy soldiers, and yes, even chickens. This sounds like a great B-movie in the making but alas, we have Wolfenstein RPG.

The game has 9 levels and 3 modes of difficulty—Normal, Hard and Nightmare—as well as well as two mini-games one involving game of War and another focused on long-distance chicken kicking. Probably not something to show the parents or allies of PETA, but know that these mini-puzzles also appear randomly in the game’s story mode.

To say that the game’s controls are the strength of Wolfenstein RPG would be an understatement. They’re some of the most responsive and intuitive controls available for this type of game. A d-pad is provided for side-to-side, forward/backward movement, and swipe left or right to turn in the desired direction. Movement through the corridors is smooth, and I have little very trouble getting where I wanted.

Along the bottom of the screen is the HUD, and it’s relatively straightforward. Tapping the various icons will bring up health, inventory, perks, and even a head of B.J. to skip a turn. The Inventory is a collection all items collected through the game including syringes, weapons, ammo, treasure, and health. These are things that you may come in handy later so the pack rat mentality helps here. A Journal is also available because you will come across information worth remembering. To round out, an overview map is also available showing where you are within the schematics of the castle.

In the game, B.J. has the ability to switch between different weapons, and the turn-based system does come in handy because it gives you the time to effectively make switches without the rush of a typical shooter. With weapons drawn, you tap on the target to shoot, but keep in mind that targets have an equal opportunity to fire back. In addition to weapons, you can use your fists and kicking abilities which tends to be entertaining if you’re into physical gaming violence.

The game is less about RPG and is rather more about interactions. Throughout the game, you do collect items and level up in terms of weapons and power, but those elements are pretty basic. The humor shines when it comes to interactions with prisoners and scientists and the occasional chicken. You have conversations with a variety of characters that tend to either be docile or completely off the wall because they’ve all been injected with weird substances…sounds like a typical San Francisco evening. Each of the cells with prisoners has a board showing what they’ve been injected with and their behavioral tendencies, and in some cases, you can even release the prisoners at your own risk.

Throughout the game, you’ll learn more about the experiments and of course come across the random syringe which you should keep for the later showdowns. But, the overall humor, while a little dark, definitely keeps you engaged.

The play in Wolfenstein RPG seems well balanced with plenty of enemies and side incidents to keep you busy, although I will say that playing at the nightmare level of difficulty offers quite the challenge. As I mentioned, the pace is different from the typical gun and run shooter, and in many ways, I find the turn-based approach ideally suited to the iPhone/iPod Touch platform. But to be honest, I would only recommend a handful of the typical shooters anyway. While hardcore gamers may find this game less than difficult, Wolfenstein RPG is definitely a top notch game for the casual gamer. It’s a worthwhile experience.

Albie Meter: 4.5 Stars (serves as an ideal introduction to the Wolfenstein series; great slower-paced shooter for those looking for a balance between intense and frenetic; controls are among the best along with high production values even with 2D graphics)

10. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

11. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I'm glad people actually read my meanderings :rolleyes:

12. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    You write good reviews, so you get my full attention when reading them. Nothing to add or dismiss about your review. Just thought I'd poke your ribs.

13. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    alright, after plowing through most of the game with my eyeballs bleeding out i have to say that this is the best iphone game i have played yet. the gameplay, the graphics, the violence, the humor, even the dialog(in a wolfenstein game no less) are all spot on. though, i shouldn't have expected any less from the people that were behind Doom RPG(also hilarious and a ton of fun to play). i have high hopes that the upcoming Doom RPG for the iphone is different from the mobile one, featuring high quality graphics like Wolfenstein RPG and new maps.

even if five dollars is all you have left to your name, you should buy this game

14. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    is it just me or is all these wolfenstein doom duke nukem 3d/rpg's get jumbled up in the head? And there all released around the same time too T_T

15. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

its just you.

16. elimcfly

elimcfly Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This is great for $5 so far! Im suprised i'm liking this actually. Its really fun!

17. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    How long are the levels? I know there's 9. (I keep saying but, I think this game is a good candidate for randomized levels like in dungeon crawler/rogue games).

18. Glomgold

Glomgold Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Looks pretty cool :D

19. silentdante

silentdante Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    florida
    #159 silentdante, Aug 12, 2009
    man i absolutely love this type of game, why is this the ONLY one like it out there?

i want more, i want a sci-fi theme, i want a fantasy theme, a noir theme, get cracking out there devs, this is a model of game you should be stealing! enough TD games, enough puzzlers! i paid 5 bucks for this, make a clone, make it decent and i am going to give you at least 2.99 or more! great stuff.

20. silentdante

silentdante Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    florida
    #160 silentdante, Aug 12, 2009
    doube post sorry guys.

seriously though, this and Civ: Rev... some great stuff starting to come out!