iPad [Removed from App Store] Wolfenstein RPG (by Electronic Arts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by kapshin, Aug 11, 2009.

1. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Yes.

It's a rail shooter, using the accelerometer for aiming. That was not "new" for this platform, at all, regardless of Carmack's statements otherwise. And I maintain that that "innovative set up for FPS" was neither "innovative", nor was it even used in an FPS because DR isn't an FPS. It was used in prior rail shooters, and DR is a rail shooter, NOT an FPS.

That aside, he, again, gets something of a pass from me. Still enjoy Jag DOOM on occasion, and DOOM 3 was, IMHO, woefully underappreciated last gen. Was it "kill 'em all" style DOOM? No. But for what it was (and, IMHO, it was closer to a "survival horror" style game) it was, IMHO, a better experience than I had with RE4.

2. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Correcting =/= "raging out".

Unless you're still smarting over that whole "why compare RE4 Mobile to RE4 GC" thing. :p

3. Malrulezzzu

Malrulezzzu Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Doom 3 better then RE:4? IMO , not even close. I did like Doom 3 but RE:4 is one of the best games ever made. Doom 3 was good , no doubt but not on the same level as RE:4.

4. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    They're all good. So is Wolfenstein RPG. If Doom RPG is like this, and why wouldn't it be, then that's another one to look forward to. I really like the slightly goofy vibe running through this game. It has great controls. Maybe we can get Carmack to program all of the iDevice games' controls. He seems to have the right idea.

5. sf49lu

sf49lu Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Sylvania, OH
    I think its doom classic

6. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    #126 sizzlakalonji, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    No, it's both, actually. I'm pretty sure Doom classic is close to completion though.
    EDIT: Here's info about the mobile version:
    http://www.doomrpg.com/n.x/Doom%20RPG/Home

7. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    How's the replay value? Are the dungeon layouts fixed or random?

8. falloutmike

falloutmike Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    VA
    Do you gain levels in the game? Are there different weapons, armour, etc... Random dungeons?

9. violatizzle

violatizzle Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    controls are hideous

10. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Are you out of your mind?

11. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

you sir are never allowed to speak your mind again. not if you're going to talk non-sense like that.

12. falloutmike

falloutmike Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    VA
    Getting itunes money tommorow, can't wait! Are the controls like the quest? Love those controls ;)

13. smirnoffsky

smirnoffsky Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Whoa! reviews reviews pls! :)

14. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    First rails, now turn based; seems the formula machine needs fixing.

15. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    rpg element works perfect and the hole game is great.YES YES YES!!!!!!

16. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    It's wonderful. I think many people are waiting on reviews because it's a big game and they're probably playing it. I'm going back to it in a sec. This isn't a game someone has finished yet more than likely.

17. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    I for one just bought Wolf 3d to help support future games.

Wolf 3d was never my game of choice, I think when doom and Heretic came out that changed everything. Gaming tell 3 in the morning :)

I think most are still waiting for Doom and hopefully some good controls.

18. frogtorch

frogtorch Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    This is great.

19. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

My impressions, by Jack Handey... (sorry, reading that aloud, it just reminded me of the "deep thoughts" line)

I think this game fits the iPod Touch/iPhone platform just fine. As mentioned, the game is a turned based Action RPG where movements are controlled in set steps and turns. When you encounter an enemy or group of enemies, you take your move and then they take theirs. Those expecting faced paced action or a true FPS game are in for a shock.

As you progress through the game, you do level up your stats and acquire better weapons.

The game is more story intensive and has more interactions than a regular FPS but is not as in depth as an RPG, it's a fine balance which is probably why I like it better.

The controls are done (as seen in the video) by using the on screen d-pad and swipe motions for strafing. Attacks and activating items or using objects are handled by taps to the open area of the screen. I honestly had no problem getting accustomed to the controls within the first few minutes.

So far I've played for about an hour and am really enjoying this game. The graphics are really well drawn and are a blend of 2D sprites cast in a 3D world. Even though you are moving in fixed movements, everything around you is in 3D.

What I like best is that the game offers a decent adventure that is a mix of action, adventure and RPG all in one. It's designed to be played in a more casual sense and it shows. Those expecting an all out action fest or hardcore RPG will be disappointed so you have to take this game for what it was meant to be - more casual and slower paced in nature. I am more of an action oriented gamer and really have a hard time getting into deep game play and involved story lines (read: I have a busy life with work, family, etc) but this type of game is perfect for me.

If you've ever played Orcs & Elves (as other posters mentioned), this game is VERY similar. I think I even recognize some of the sound effects from that game in this one, but I'm not sure.

I wish there was a lite version because it's hard to describe, you really have to try it. I think id did a great job taking a classic game and fitting it onto a handheld, they really seem to grasp what strengths and weaknesses a phone or portable device has.

I highly recommend this game for 4.99 and would pay more. I cannot wait for DOOM rpg and hope it comes out soon.

BTW - the "crazy" guy is hilarious, my sons laughed!

20. Shinobiwan

Shinobiwan Member

Apr 19, 2009
    So now that Wolf RPG is out we need a port of Orcs & Elves 1 & 2 (Come on iD make this one a single App with both games), and Doom 2 RPG needs to be a simultaneous release on J2ME and iDevices, and include Doom RPG as well on iDevices.