iPad [Removed from App Store] Wolfenstein RPG (by Electronic Arts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by kapshin, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    That's why they call it a Role-Playing-Game. You level up your character and have skill points and have Turn-Based Battles.

2. Frant

Frant Well-Known Member

Oops, misunderstanding :)

3. Slapshot

Jun 12, 2009
    Oh, don't worry about it! :D

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
  5. solidox

solidox New Member

Jul 1, 2009
    RPG FPS explained (sort off)

This should be pretty good. I played Doom RPG on a mobile ages ago. Basically a first person shooter bar the combat side which is more of a "tactical" affair. Can only describe it as like chess. Move - Fire - Move ... limited ammo.. need to search for hidden ammo etc. If I remember Doom RPG was pretty decent by mobile game standards. Not sure about the white blood though.

Off topic. I have high hopes from the iphone Doom.

6. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Well, I've browsed through a few reviews of the phone version of wolf RPG and there seems to be no RPG elements; the game is turn based (3D but tile based so 90 degrees only). So it's more turned based strategy than RPG.

It got excellent reviews, but I'm just not sure why they stuck RPG in the name. There are no upgrades, no stats, no classes, no equipment except guns.

This doesn't mean it isn't good, just clarifying for others because I was curious as well.

7. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    The turn based nature of the game, if it's anything like Orcs & Elves and DOOM RPG, will come to play a key role as you get into the game further. In those games there were missed hits, recovery times dependent on weapon used (both for the attacker and the victim of the attack), spacing/distance which effected weapon usage (some items are more accurate from afar, some weapons can only be used close up), etc.

Plus there were enemies with abilities to move and attack at once, attack twice or more during a turn, or make two moves during turns (non attack moves like healing, etc. included), etc. There were items that gave you, the player, those same abilities for a limited number of turns.

It all came into play in terms of strategy during combat and defense, which was more in depth than what you'd find in the FPS titles where, even though strategy is employed, it's of a more "twitch/reflex" nature owing to the root of the shooter genre of which FPS is but a part (action gaming). In a turn based RPG like DOOM RPG and Orcs & Elves, and, now, Wolfenstein RPG, the strategy during combat is thinking out moves before committing to them, ala a chess game. Slower paced, allowing more time for thought, but also quite a bit more complex.

The other RPG elements that come into play are obviously in the form of items, stats (although, like in Orcs & Elves, stats are tied closely to item usage), side quests, etc.

8. Dojjah

Dojjah New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #68 Dojjah, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    Wouldn't that be amazing! Love that game.

And to the people questioning a release in the German Marketplace, isn't Wolfenstein illegal in Germany? It's freakn nazi killn! (I'm being serious about being illegal, not pokin fun)

And I was excited to hear about his title because I never played or even heard of the original, but after just reading a post saying there is no RPG elements (exp, leveling, stats, etc) is a huge upset :/

9. Slapshot

Jun 12, 2009
    Oh, and don't forget they're making a DOOM RPG for the iPhone. ;)

10. bigE1669

bigE1669 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    IT
    Ill
    Damn, 2 huge games purchases in a day. I just downloaded CivRev and love it. I come back from work and now this one. My spare time just got filled.

11. Frant

Frant Well-Known Member

And a Quake 1,2,3. At least John Carmack wants to port them to the iPhone :)

12. Slapshot

Jun 12, 2009
    Hopefully!!! :D

13. wythesyn

wythesyn Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Oswego, New York
    Man Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein RPG, and Civilization Revolution there goes my money for Gangstar and Modern Combat

14. Slapshot

Jun 12, 2009
    Yup, me too. :( But it was worth it! :D

15. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Depends on how one defines "RPG". But I can see your point.

Ah...but there are stats and upgrades. At least there was in Orcs & Elves and DOOM RPG, iirc. Just not "up front" direct customization style where you directly assign gained stat numbers to player/character abilities as in most WRPGs.

Different items allow for different recovery times, defense, move speeds, etc. The guns each have different distance accuracies, etc. While you cannot directly assign stats, you can know which items change what stats because it's made clear to you in game.

Yes, unlike most WRPGs, there's no real direct customization of the player/character other than the different items having different stats themselves. And that even differs from most JRPGs, even those focused on one player/character rather than a party, because at least you can see stats gained directly after battle in those JRPGs even though you don't directly assign anything in most.

Still, I wouldn't say it's a strategy game as you are really only in control of one player/character, which is not typically the norm for strat games, even SRPGs, nor is the whole thing centered around defeating all enemies on the board, etc.

It's more...it's more of an RPG-lite more than anything. A dungeon crawler (actually...yeah...that's pretty much what it is...a dungeon crawler) but without the direct control over stat/upgrade accumulation and assignment. It's limited in that upgrade/stat raising assignment only occurs with gaining and using different items.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

This game is really cool so far, the controls work so much better for the iPhone. You don't need any kind of precision aiming, and the pace of the game is much more relaxed... or, dare I say, casual? Either way, Firemint did an amazing job with this port. The only thing I'm disappointed with so far is how long EA sat on the game, we should have been playing this months ago! ;)

17. Slapshot

Jun 12, 2009

Agreed. Do they really think we're that dumb? :p

18. Danzach

Danzach Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    North Carolina
    Woot!

Yes, it was so worth the wait

19. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Oh, and I see some folk alluding to whether to purchase this or Duke3D.

Two very different types of games. After all, this one is an RPG. ;)

Seriously though, if you want an FPS, Wolfenstein Classic, Prey, Duke Nukem 3D, etc. should be considered...but probably NOT Wolfenstein RPG.

If, however, you want an RPG, and have gone through Zenonia, and The Quest, then this game will suit your needs. Especially if you've come off of The Quest, as the style of movement and combat are similar.

20. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Has anyone looked at the credits and noticed who is the lead programmer on this game?