Release date broken on mobile App Store - theories?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by nattylux, Mar 15, 2009.

1. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    People in various forums have pointed out that the sort by "Release Date" is completely broken right now in the mobile App Store.

As an example, in the racing category, the top games listed are:

- Snail Mail Lite (Feb 18)
    - "Z" Race Crew Challenge (Feb 8)
    - Carrect (Feb 17)
    - Snow Dude (Jan 21)

And nowhere does it show our game, Little Red Sled, which came out Feb 19. I can't figure out any pattern for the order as it stands. And we currently have 3 updates waiting for approval, so it would be a shame to miss out on the usual 2-day update bump.

For the record, the order is fine on iTunes.

I know they've been making lots of changes in the past week, and I assume this will be fixed in some way soon. But does anyone have any theories where they're going with this? Perhaps an upcoming fix to the release date bug where you have to update your date in iTunes connect as soon as your app is approved?

Let the wild speculation begin!

2. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    My update was approved 2 days ago and I still saw the usual 2-day bump. That leads me to speculate that either not too many people rely on the mobile app store release date section or people that did are now looking at iTunes for latest versions.

3. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    That's great to know, thanks.

Since this disconnect has never happened before, there was no way to test whether people were looking at new releases on the Phone or on iTunes. It does make sense though - you have to specifically navigate to "Release Date" on the phone now, whereas in iTunes the new releases are front and center.