Release date: August or September for indie game

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by baptiste, Jul 13, 2012.

1. baptiste

baptiste Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Hi everyone

I'm finishing my first ios game, and i'm asking to myself, what will be the release date?
    Is that August is a month to avoid? Is what the review sites, the blog, and the press does not go on holiday on that date?
    And same question for September, is it the good time? Is this a indie game will not go unnoticed at that time because of a large number of release?

what do you think?
    Thank you for your answer.
    Baptiste

2. nvx

nvx Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK
    Knowing nothing about your game, I would suggest releasing it as soon as you can :)

Trying to avoid releases with big studio games is almost impossible, since there will always be something quite major coming out at any given week.

The month doesnt matter too much (August or September), and coinciding with holidays is probably even more of a risk since there would be more games to compete against

Give yourself a few weeks buffer time for marketing though, dont just release the game immediately after it gets approved

Search the forums, I've seen this kind of question get asked plenty of times in the past ;)

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I agree, dont think the month matters but spend a bit of time giving free copies to websites for their reviews, start a thread here once its out (None of this 'my friend found this game...' !) , just start a thread when its released and if its any good word of mouth should help sell a fair few copies.

Be nice to hear a bit about the game though. Reminds me of game mags in the old days where in the back pages it mentioned 'coming soon' and you used to get excited by some of the upcoming releases.

4. ruiznick

ruiznick Active Member

I hope you are aware of the release date problem before you submit. If you submit your game and it gets approved, but you set a release date for a future date, then on that date it will be available on the app store, but it won't be visible on the newly released list.

Think about the day you want it actually released, then submit 7 or 8 days prior and make sure its available as soon as its approved. Thats the best you can do.