iPad Reiner Knizia's Ra [v1.5 - Game Center]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by codito, Nov 2, 2010.

1. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Right, I assume this is the case.

@codito: any sort of timetable for when we can expect the online multiplayer addition?

2. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Wow, talk about narcissism. I hate to break it to you cprloe, but those things floating around you are not planets, but rather delusions. I wasn't referring to you personally, just to this general notion that is prevalent among many in the app store community that they are being personally attacked when a developer makes a decision that may affect them in a dollar sized chunk or two. I already agreed that the intro price thing was a mistake. But there are others here who act like their puppy has been kicked.

3. jones2929

jones2929 Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Los Angeles
    No offense to anyone posting here, but I think people have gotten spoiled by the general low price of iPhone games. This game is easily worth $6.99. I bought it immediately (after searching for "Knizia" in the App Store every hour or so for the past week), and I think that the game is of high quality. Being a novice player, I can't attest to the AI, but this game appears to be of Carcassonne or Samurai quality. Hopefully, the lower price will generate more sales, which will encourage Codito to make more games.

4. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Happens to everybody .... Sometimes you save sometimes you sound more.
    My first look ra is that it is high quality, that matters the most.

5. codito

codito Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    iPhone developer
    Apologies

We know the price drop is annoying for those that bought before it, but it didn't seem to make sense to wait any longer once we realized the price was too high.

We made a mistake in not checking the latest status of the iOS board game market. $9.99 used to be the "standard" price for a universal app, so we genuinely thought $6.99 was an introductory sale price. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We're not marketers, we're game makers. We aren't trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes or screw anyone out of their $2. We're just trying to get what we think is a great game into as many hands as possible. Of course, we want to make money, but only so we can make more games and better games and add features to the games that are already out!

Again, we apologize and please feel free to contact us directly if you still aren't satisfied. (info at sageboardgames dot com.)

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I think it is a safe rule of thumb that no price you see at the AppStore is guaranteed!

Intro rates might jump up at any point and expensive games might drop in price unexpectedly.

My best rule of thumb would be, if you think the initial price is inordinately high and don't want to risk being screwed, wait 24-48 hours after release before purchasing as I've noted most of the most radical price drops occur in this window of time (while you are still likely to get special intro pricing if that was initially offered).

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I've now had a chance to play and so far think it's great! But I really want online play. Like Medici I really can't see a Carcassonne-type approach working due to the bidding nature of the game. I really think online games need to be live, but then you need in place disincentives to dropping out. There needs to be rankings and dropping out has to count as a loss. Something to that effect. At the sane time you have to be tolerant of temporary disappearances due to 3G coming and going on a train, for example.

8. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    #48 TheSporkWithin, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
    Just a thought, but you might want to consider offering those who purchased the game at its original price point a code for the iPhone version of Medici? Have them forward you their apple receipt or something? I personally think that people getting into such a tizzy over two dollars is silly, but it might help to assuage those who are foaming at the bit.

9. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I finally had a chance to play on my lunch and I have to say this is a great digital version of the board game. I am more than happy to pay $6.99 for this and if it is an extra $2 that what people would pay for it now then so be it. At least the devs get the extra cash which can hopefully go towards more great board games.

Also very happy to see a stats setting added to the game. Hopefully something like this is applied to Medici as well. :D

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, perhaps Carcassonne started a precedence here of treating the AI like local players with their own stats and rankings, but this adds another level to them beyond just giving them unique personalities that makes them almost believable.

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I agree, There will also be issues with people getting phone calls and having to leave the game.

Maybe when a player drops, AI can take over and fills the gap until you return?

As for the price thing the description never said what the intro price would be, a few people even stated on here that they would wait to see if the price dropped.

I totally understand not wanting to pay more than you have to but we've all seen games release on to the appstore before their release date and sale prices not taking effect immediately, or releasing at the wrong price point entirely (this is why appshopper was made!). Codito is pretty active on the forum and listening to fans on here and facebook so they would clear things p just like they did.

12. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    Did you revised lately the AppStore? The new "standard price" for a universal board game is around 1$...

Bazinga!

13. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
  14. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Definitely. I love the fact that the devs of both Carcassonne and now Ra actually add different AI characters who all have their own unique play style. I wish more games included this, games like Samurai only have the one AI setting and they are pretty easy... actually I can't remember the last time I lost to the AI in Samurai. If they had different play styles and difficulty settings I would play against them more often.

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

I haven't spent much serious time with the game yet but already have a whine!

While I think the instructions are decent, I find that font on the selected textured papyrus background very tough to read. If there were a way to increase the contrast like darker font, less frilly font, or lighter papyrus would help a lot.

16. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA

I second this. I had the same issue with the Medici instructions. The font and background make them very difficult to read.

17. codito

codito Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    iPhone developer
    Quick update

Hey folks, just wanted to say thanks for the kudos and feedback. We may not chime in that often for the next little while, but rest assured we're watching the forums to see what tweaks and fixes we may need to make.

We're looking at probably a patch release to Ra in the next couple of weeks, and an update to Medici to add some of the new features in Ra (such as player stats) and other improvements.

Multiplayer is still in the works. We definitely want to have it ready for both games before Christmas, if not sooner.

Until then, happy gaming!

Codito Development

18. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Any chance of adding retina support? When there is a lot on the screen, as there is in this game, the extra crispness would be much appreciated.

19. codito

codito Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    iPhone developer
    Yes. We needed to update to the latest Cocos2d version to get Retina support and we didn't want to risk break anything before launch. We're working on that as hopefully part of our planned patch release for November.

20. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Great to hear!