iPad Reiner Knizia's Ra [v1.5 - Game Center]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by codito, Nov 2, 2010.

1. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I would take anyhow ... But I just took Medici for iPhone by mistake and now have this and HD as well .... But I have no iPhone :(

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I love the board game so I'm going to buy this for the $6.99 price. $6.99 may sound like a lot especially when you compair it to other board games that already have features like online from the get go such as Samurai however, I believe that the devs will come through with their promises. I have no problem with paying this price as long as it ensure that devs continue to bring more fantastic board games to the idevices.

Haven't really had time to give the game a go though. Regarding Medici I know the devs are working at updating it with an online mode just like they are planning for Ra so maybe they will increase the price of Medici when that happens. Either way I now own both and I think I will be more than happy with my purchase. :D

3. codito

codito Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    iPhone developer
    New price point

Hey folks,

Well, clearly the people have spoken! And we are listening. After further consideration, and looking at the latest state of the iOS board game market, here's the response that we've decided on:

1) Ra will remain a universal app
    2) We've dropped the price to $4.99

We hope that people who've already paid $6.99 are happy with the game, rather than upset about the $2 they could have saved, and that iPhone-only gamers will be willing to pay an extra dollar over the $3.99 we discussed earlier.

The bottom line is that supporting a single release at this price is the best balance (for us) between offering a decent price point and allowing us to continue bringing you more games. We need to sell games to fund making more games, and we don't want to spend time maintaining two versions -- we want to make more games and add features to the existing games.

We fully understand that there will still be complaints, and we will keep listening to you all, but hopefully now the majority will find the decision to buy this game easy -- particularly given the highly positive comments we've been getting from happy owners.

Happy gaming!

Codito Development

PS Yes, multiplayer is coming. Getting that to you sooner is another reason why we don't want to spend time putting out a duplicate version!

4. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I agree on all counts. This game is well worth $5.

Now bring us Euphrat & Tigris! lol

5. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Sold!!
    I just find it stupid yesterday I bought Medici twice by mistake (HD and not) ... Let's see what apple says, I have no iPhone!
    Thus I can only be happy with devs going universal as this will avoid mistakes like this!!

6. codito

codito Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    iPhone developer
    Sorry about the accidental purchase. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't provide us a mechanism for refunding -- you have to get your money back from them. We've heard they are pretty reasonable about refund requests though.

In the meantime, enjoy Ra!

7. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I asked them. I won't starve if they don't I just feel stupid :eek:
    And I am now going for Ra, but now I have a problem ... I took Medici yesterday and Ra today ... Where do I start ??? :D:D

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    "Currently being modified". Dang. Oh well. Will try to buy it later.

9. clarsonx

clarsonx Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Are you kidding me?!? I buy the game the moment it comes out and you lower the price one day later? Are you insane?

I bought Ra immediately based on the fun I've had with Medici and seeing how the that game was supported. I thought $7 was expensive, but wanted to support the developers and in general, board games on the iOS. And this is how loyalty is rewarded?

Yes, I am enjoying Ra. But I'm very disappointed in the way that Codito treats it's customers.

10. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA

I have never once complained about having "bad timing" when it comes to app purchases, but I have to agree in this case. I bought Ra at $6.99 less than an hour ago because the description said "introductory sale price" and I think I rightfully assumed that there wouldn't be a price drop less than 24 hours after the app was released. The inclusion of the phrase "introductory sale price" in the description was incredibly misleading, bordering on deceptive.

If Codito had plans to drop the price less than 24 hours after the app was released, they should not have said that $6.99 was the "introductory sale price."

I have all of the Knizia games, including Codito's Medici, which I thoroughly enjoy. Whether Ra ends up being worth the $6.99 I paid is beside the point in this specific instance because the game description contained an outright lie.

Very, very disappointing.

11. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    I have to agree! Same here. I purchased it directly ... and less than 24 hours later that ... this is simply unfair!

So I have to learn to wait at least two weeks before buy a game from you.

12. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Don't take it personally. They didn't ask you to buy the game. Other people in this forum expressed the opinion that the game might be dropping in price very soon. All you had to do was be patient, but you wanted to support them. So what's to complain about? They are just doing what they think is best to make some money from their hard work and investment, and responding to the feedback here on TA.

13. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA

I would agree with this statement except for the fact that the description said "introductory sale price". That statement implies there has already been a price drop, assuming there was going to be one at all. Do you not agree that including "introductory sale price" is misleading?

14. clarsonx

clarsonx Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Apologist.

15. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Bought the game immediately, pretty much knew the price was going down, and don't care. I love Knizia games, this one is no exception, and want the dev to continue to keep them coming. The only issue in my mind was that whole "introductory sale price" thing. That does seem to be an issue, but honestly, who cares? Oh, that's right, the same people that expect console quality games on their phone for a buck.

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #36 crunc, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
    Apple really needs to have a mechanism in place for devs to be able to give partial or full refunds. This is a good case of where that would make sense. But I really doubt the dev intended to piss off the early buyers. They made a mistake by changing their minds so fast, but I doubt the intent was malicious. More like they realized their mistake right away and tried to correct it quickly. With the unfortunate consequence that some people get screwed.

EDIT: I still can't buy it at $4.99, though. Still "being modified".

17. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I've yet to buy a Knizia game. Given the lowered price point and the positive reviews, I'm definitely buying this after work.

18. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    That is an incredibly unfair characterization. I have never once complained that a game is too expensive or complained when I bought a game one minute, one day, or one hour before it went on sale. It happens all the time.

I don't expect console quality games on my Iphone for a buck. I have paid full price for hundreds of games and other apps on launch day. I expect developers to be honest with their game descriptions. The phrase "introductory sale price" was a false statement. That's all I was saying.

And I notice that the phrase "introductory sale price" has been removed from the description. I can't imagine why that would be.

19. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Misleading? - yes, or maybe a mistake. But let's face it, 'misleading' is the norm when it comes to marketing, so you have to take that into consideration.

@clarsonx: I don't have anything to apologize for, so I don't know what you are talking about.

20. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I don't think it's healthy to let $2 upset you...although I can understand having a bad taste in one's mouth by missing out on a price drop by a matter of hours as it has happened to me. But I suggest the best thing is to appreciate the thing you have purchased regardless of price now that you have it. I also don't think Codito intentionally mislead anyone, or they would have kept the launch price for longer. It's not exactly a win for their R&D dept. though. :eek:

Anyway, I'm a hair away from picking this up. I am wondering though, if it's really an objectively better game than Medici or if it's a matter of taste. Since I don't have an iPad and never plan to get one I am wondering which one I should get.