Universal Reiner Knizia's Kingdoms (Universal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Oct 25, 2010.

1. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok, quick questions.

Heroinne: game says cancels all negative tiles in her row and column. Does this mean that any castles placed in those four rows are immune to hazard tiles only in the four rows covered by the heroinne, or does it mean that any castles placed in those four rows are immune to hazards period?

Wizard and Witch: adjacent tiles refer to only the four compass directions north, south, east, and west of the tile or is it the surrounding eight squares?

I figured out how to use the Rogue. He just deletes a tile.

2. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Figured it out. The Heroinne is the reverse of the Dragon.

The Wizard and Witch only affect the four cardinal directions.

3. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Still confused about Reiner Knizia's Kingdoms app scoring system.

Either my way of counting points or the app is wrong. I noticed that when I hover my tile over the board, the number of points that will be scored is shown. However, that number is usually different from what I calculate that spot to be worth.

Is the app wrong, or is the way I am counting wrong? If so, can you direct me to a clearer description of counting points? I had read the ingame manual and FFG's online manual several times...

This is really souring Kingdoms for me as I am losing games which I think I should win, and winning where I calculate I should lose.

4. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    There's no way to tell what's happening here without you actually explaining or giving an example of how you're calculating the values. The most likely mistakes are that you're not taking the castle pips into account properly, adding/ignoring tiles you shouldn't, or simply calculating the total incorrectly.

It'd probably easier if you take a screenshot of a game in progress and point out where you think the figures are not adding up to what you expected.

5. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    #45 iPadisGreat, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    In the screenshot, when I move my 1pip counter to (6,4), I calculate -17, but Kingdoms app says it is -11.

I derived -17 this way:
    1st column: -8
    2nd column: Dragon
    3rd column: 0 (+2 negated by dragon)
    4th column: just a tile so nothing added nothing removed
    5th column: -12 (-6 x 2 due to mine on 5,1)
    6th column: +3 (due to +3 tile on 6,3)

My calculated total = -17
    App shows current value as -11?

Attached Files:

6. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I see the problem (and I think you mean you were placing the tile on 6,3, not 6,4):

1st column: -8
    2nd column: Dragon
    3rd column: 0 (+2 negated by dragon)
    4th column: 0 (castle)
    5th column: -6 (the mine takes effect when scoring the row or column, so it technically doubles the total value of its column (4) and row (6), not each individual tile on those lines; i.e. the -6 becomes -12 when scoring column 5, but doesn't become -12 when scoring row 3)
    6th column: +3 (tile on 6,4)

Total = -11

7. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    I see. I will play a few more games using this calculation method and see if I have any other queries. Thanks.

8. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Does this game work on iOS 11?

9. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #49 LordGek, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Yes, but is it still available? I no longer see any of the Skotos Tech games in the Appstore. Almost all of them, I think as far back as iOS 10, were made 64-bit to avoid the Appocalypse.

10. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    I am still running 10 so it shows in the store for me, but that worries me that if they don't show in your store, then they're not 64-bit. I recall that 32-bit games would no longer be auto visible in the iOS 11 store even if they are still there.

11. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    But I have it and can run it on my very latest iOS 11 iPad...so it must be 64-bit. Weird.

12. vectorarchitekt

Dec 29, 2013
    Well if that's the case, then it works #. Thanks for confirming before I buy it.