iPad Reign of Swords

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ReformatPlanet, Sep 23, 2008.

1. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    My initial impressions of this are that it's fantastic. I have not spent as much time with it as i would like too, but i think it's a safe bet for anyone who enjoys strategy games.

It feels like a complete, fully featured release, not like your typical iphone fare. This is something that would be right at home on a DS or PSP. There is lots of variety in the unit types, all kinds of special abilities, upgrades to be won from battle, terrain effects on unit stats, and story sequences with character portraits. It's essentially "Advance Wars" crossed with "Fire Emblem".

Anyone that's concerned about the price being too high, it's worth it. This is one of the deepest offerings on the iphone so far. If you like turn based strategy, check it out.

2. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Thanks for the info, before I buy it, did you see any significant bugs?? :p

3. diesel

diesel Active Member

Sep 23, 2008

no real bugs, however the menus are somewhat "clumsy" and moving around the maps can be a bit difficult but that's more a design issue than bugs. with the game menus, it's hard to tell if you can scroll down and when you can, scrolling itself can be a bit clunky since you might either scroll or accdentally select something that you didn't mean to.

also, i haven't experienced any crashes with the game so far and the good thing is, the game saves are uploaded to their servers so if anything went wrong you could always download your game progress from their servers back onto your device.

overall, i'm pleased with the purchase. it reminds me a lot of fire emblem for the gba.

4. dudehuge

Sep 7, 2008
    Cool, I'll throw my hard earned cash on it then, thanks. :p

5. ReformatPlanet

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    I agree with the menus being less then spectacular in comparison to the rest of the presentation. Probably something to do with it's port to the iphone from other devices. I'm sure we can expect some tweaking with future updates.

I'm curious if anyone has had a chance to get into the online aspect of the game. Sounds like it has great potential.

6. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I was put off by the simple graphics at first, but it sounded like an interesting game. I've been waiting for a multiplayer game like this to come to the iPhone (seriously, it's the perfect device for MMOs).
    I'm glad I bought it; it's surprisingly well done. The graphics aren't very polished, but the gameplay is. The first thing it makes you do is set up camp and make war plans. Any game that makes you make plans has a lot of depth. Hopefully this game will catch on fast and we can get some real wars going.

Definitely worth your $8. Actually, it's worth spending a lot more than that, but get while it's $8.

7. ReformatPlanet

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    I think the graphics are kind of charming. The characters are small but still seem to show an impressive amount of detail, and i was really surprised to see they all had simple battle animations.

It's probably difficult to find the right balance between good and practical graphics for a game like this. The characters would have to be larger to show more detail, but then not as many would fit on the screen, etc, etc.

8. dudehuge

Sep 7, 2008
    Right now it's not the perfect device for MMOs because 3rd party Apps can't run on the background. Meaning when you're in the heat of the battle then someone calls you, your game closes. Sure the devs can set a time limit so that you can reconnect but that's unfair to the other player that's waiting for you.

I hope Apple can have like a "Trusted" dev program for indies and big companies alike that have proven that they won't mess up the iPhone OS, and allow their apps to run on the background. Especially with this unlimited data plan, this device is amazing for online play.

9. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    1.2.42 update is out

What's new
    - All new and improved upgrade army user interface
    - Ability to listen to iPod music while playing ROS
    - Ability to set sound setting at Punch Logo screen
    - Increase maximum number of unit to 250 from 200
    - Improved font type, scrolling, and network connectivity
    - Several major bug fixes including many user reported issues

10. Shumby

Shumby Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    oO
    that was ... quick...

11. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Now FREE.

Is sales really that bad :confused:

12. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    It's an old game (by iphone/ipod app standards anyway), and they now have Reign of Swords episode two.

13. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
  14. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    9-23-2008
    wow that's old

15. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    This game shouldn't be passed up on. I love it. Bought it at the $1.99 price point a couple of months ago too.

16. kijib

kijib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Incredibly successful Brain Surgeoune
    Pokemon World
    that wasnt very smart why not .99 cents sale
    then maybe free

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member

Sometimes developers make an older game free in order to advertise a new game, or in this case, a sequel. The more people play the first game (the thinking goes) the more people will consider buying the second one.

18. kijib

kijib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Incredibly successful Brain Surgeoune
    Pokemon World
    yah but still
    2.99 to free is just dum

19. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

It's on the freeappaday.com promotion guys

20. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Anyone else see the irony in who posted this?