Reign Of Swords Talk

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Oma, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    For single-player or multi-player? I could give you tips for single-player.

2. greenhornet9

greenhornet9 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2009
    i guess singleplayer. Im pretty good at it, but theres some missions that im not good at. I like using alot of cavalry so i like the more open maps where i can run over a few guys at a time. I guess i need some strategies for more crowded maps.

3. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    #43 Isilel, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
    OK, here are my opinions:

From the foot troops, I love pikemen and footmen.

Put pikemen in defensive line and don't touch them and they can take almost everything with their "formation" and "pike wall" abilities. I usually weaken the enemy front row with artillery fire and then just let them break on the pikes. Weak enemy front row can do less damage, so I just concentrate fire on the farther enemy units.

Footmen - relatively sturdy and damaging for the cheap, cheap price. Can hold the line in a pinch due to their "formation" ability.

Militia - has it's uses for flanking and drawing enemy fire from more expensive units.

Don't like:

Swordsmen. They are only a little sturdier than the footmen, much more expensive and do less damage.

Great-swordsmen - since they go last and get damaged first, their increased damage almost never comes to bear. For the same price, I'd rather take a pikeman ;).

Ranged units: basically, dislike them all, since it is very difficult to figure out their fields of fire and they are quite illogical. I mean, longbowmen can't fire over a hedge?! Please. But if I have to have some, then longbowmen (cheap) or musketeers (long fire distance) are my choice. Crossbowmen just seem generally useless.

Artillery:

Love: catapult - good area of effect damage, not too expensive. Just don't fire them near your own troops and their lack of precision won't hurt you.

Cannon - long range of fire, decent damage, the "last hurrah" attack in melee range. What's not to like? Great for taking out elite or ranged units of the enemy.

I like putting cannons and catapults behind my wall of pikes/spears and blazing away, when scenario permits.

Don't like trebuchet. Targets one unit at a time, imprecise, no defensive capability, costs almost as much as the much better cannon.

Mounted troops: love knights, they are just allround great.
    Cavalry also can be quite useful when you need as many mounted units as you can get, like when the enemy has a lot of ranged units/artillery on the open field or attacks you with tons of gryphon riders. Didn't use other mounted units much, to be honest, so no opinion.

Non-elite spellcasters: only used the Shaman and he seemed quite helpful enhancing melee troops.

Elite units:

Cannon - see above. Love it.

The Hero - a great unit, sturdy, lots of damage, buffs nearby troops. Love it, although I find myself using it less and less in later scenarios, which are cramped and feature tons of enemy ranged troops/artillery. It is just more effective to have a knight + cavalryman for the price in such situations.

The Gryphon Rider - meh. Sounds great, but can be useful only very situationally and goes down far too easily for the price. In most cases a humble cavalryman or knight can do better.

The Wizard - I am just getting the hang of this unit, to be honest. They featured prominently in my multi-player defeats ;), though.

Hope this helps.

4. Qwerty Guy Meroveous

Nov 7, 2009
    Reign of Swords is awesome! I've beaten every campaign except Aguileon 3, which is IMPOSSIBLE!!! Can anyone tell me how to beat it?

5. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I finished it some time ago. Which is the third mission? Is it when you are attacking a massive castle with cannons and musketeers on the walls and where you start with trebuchets and get swordsmen and crossbowmen as reinforcements a couple of times?

If so, then the trick is to use the Druids to best advantage. Chose one of the castle wings for the main attack, soften it by trebuchet/longbowmen fire, change the Druids into eagles on one round, then move to attack the cannons and musketeers on the next. Change them into bears once they land so they aren't killed so easily. Have a Priest or 2 out of enemy fire range and retreat your Druids for healing as needed.

I used footmen stiffened by a shaman for the suicidal attack on the main gate, with a couple of longbowmen backing them up. You can throw swordsmen reinforcements that you get later in, too, once enemy sortie pins you.

And I also had 3 horse archers to move around and cause general havoc. If you chose their routes correctly, they can cause a lot of cumulative damage.

6. warcrylx159

warcrylx159 New Member

Aug 29, 2010
    it's easy...well it toke me like 20 tries to beat it
    u'll need 8 druids,2 musketeers and 1 bowman for disraction so the archers dont take down ur druids,put the druids on the top so they wont get damaged and ranged in the middle and 1 hero and 1 priests on the last one if u still have points get greatswordmans

(4 druids on each wing):D

7. warcrylx159

warcrylx159 New Member

Aug 29, 2010
    ok then plzz help me to beat hunewold 1 i beat eveything except hunwold T.T

8. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    is everyone talking about the first one, or episode 2? want to know which one to buy.

9. ChocoVanilla

ChocoVanilla Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    SweetsTown, DessertVille, CandyLand
    They're talking about number 1...but you should buy both because they're both different and when you're finished 1 your units transfer to 2.

10. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Buy Battle for Wesnoth. It's really odd that this thread was suddenly bumped...and it also appears to be in the wrong section.

11. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    maybe i will. by the way, I like your all-time games list. I just got hooked on pathpix (and piczle lines). i don't know why i find it so fun.

12. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Thanks. :) Yeah, Pathpix is amazing, and Piczle Lines is great too. I don't know what it is either, something about such a simple thing being so compelling and fun...I like that I can play with PathPix anytime though...even if I'm half asleep or also listening intently to an audio book or a podcast. I'm about 100 puzzles into PathPix Pro right now and I have no doubt I'll eventually finish both of them, and probably Piczle Lines too. That's a whole lot of time spent with one kind of app. :eek:

Definitely do check out Wesnoth though; I like ROS but if you want a TBS and like the fantasy theme, Wesnoth is the only one you'll ever really need. Tons of content (literally hundreds of hours if you choose to complete all the campaigns) and very well-designed maps, storylines (Wesnoth is an immersive setting with its own complex history) and Kyle Pool has done a great job porting it after all the updates he's put into it.

13. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    i don't know why i've been putting off wesnoth. i thought i liked that kind of game. I used to play advance wars on my gameboy advance. i think the thing that's making me a little reluctant is the same thing that's attracting me to it - the depth, etc. sometimes, these tbs games just turn into huge time sinks for me that, when i really think about it, don't give me all that much satisfaction in return. sometimes, they feel like there isn't actually that much strategy involved - just plowing through with whatever you have. other times, they feel overly complex and too hard. so i keep putting this one off. my mixed feelings about tbs games wasn't helped by playing the demo of rogue planet, another game that i thought i should love, but somehow didn't. i don't know if you know what i mean about these games - the love / hate relationship. maybe i should stick to piczle lines.

14. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    ...as for piczle lines and pathpix (even though this is OT), i've come to the conclusion that it's not really the puzzle element that's keeping me playing it. i think it's just making the lines, connecting the dots that is the fun part. ha. it's funny. it sounds like such a lame concept if you explain it to someone. but everybody i know who's tried it loves it.

15. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Yep, it's simple and fun, and I always did love "connect the dots" when I was a kid.

I wanted to love Rogue Planet but after a few maps found I couldn't enjoy it. The maps were just too poorly designed in my opinion. Wesnoth has very well-designed maps and campaigns by comparison and also several different levels of difficulty if you feel the game should require more or less strategy than you're putting into it. It is pretty easy on the easy level, and brutally difficult on the hardest level. I prefer to play it on normal, myself. It makes for a good challenge but doesn't require multiple replays to beat a single map.