Universal Reflex Unit (by Alex Hughes)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Robosaru, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Robosaru

Robosaru Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2016
    Auto aim

Sure, I was considering this. I will add to the next release (next 7 days). In the meantime, in the options you can change the auto aim to manual, which only activates autoaim/firing when the right stick is held. BTW, the reason for autoaim is to give a competitive edge with other players who are on Gear VR.

2. Robosaru

Jul 7, 2016
    Offline play and NO ads!

Yes, you can play the 7 stage campaign offline (try and get 4 stars score for each stage!). Also, there are no Ads!

Here are currently 3 unlockable mech types and more to come in future (+ more stages).

3. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area

I just 4-starred as well! Final score of 1093 in about 4.5 minutes with the Assault Mech. Felt good. :)
    Anyone else having your mechs stutter step in tight quarters? As smooth as the controls are, this is still something that could be addressed.

4. Robosaru

Jul 7, 2016
    Any particular stage? I'll look into this...

5. shfrost

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    No, this occurs in every stage. I'm on an iPad Pro 12.9". It's like the mech can't spin, certainly not fast enough to get out of harm's way.

Also, the 6 minute time limit for camp #2 seems a little severe. I'm plowing through and still hitting 8.5 to 9 minutes. Perhaps I'm just not good enough yet, but with the three mechs as choices, I don't see 6 minutes happening anytime soon. Suggestions?

6. Robosaru

Jul 7, 2016
    Thanks for the info. I haven't seen this in my testing, I'll try and reproduce it though.

I just did a quick run through stage 2 with the light mech. Died once but completed in 5 mins 20 seconds. I think you need more practice my friend ;-)

Seriously though, perhaps the last red respawn point is a bit mean. I have one tip - don't bother shooting the soldiers, just run them over...

7. shfrost

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Ah, but can you do it without dying? # I'm shooting for 4-star wins only. I do need more practice. I have run over some of the soldiers, but I found they can often be pretty brutal before you catch them. Little suckers. I'll try with the light mech. Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated.

8. Robosaru

Jul 7, 2016
    #48 Robosaru, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Stage 2 in under 6 mins!

[​IMG] just did it! Wasn't easy and I did bump into the issue you mentioned where you can't get through smaller gaps in the stage. I'll update the navigation mesh in the next release.

More tips:
    - If you pickup the cloak, just ignore the enemies and run to the next objective!
    - always take out the flying enemies first. Move in close quickly and get underneath them if you can.
    - run over soldiers (as mentioned yesterday).
    - play a good custom soundtrack ;-)

9. shfrost

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    So, it CAN be done! ;)
    I continue to try with the Assault Mech but haven't succeeded yet. The stutter-step is definitely cutting into my times but I can't blame that alone. The final leg of that mission is indeed pretty brutal. Have you tested the game on an iPad Pro 12.9? I'm thinking that could be the issue, although you say you also ran into the problem. Was it often or just once or twice? I'll have to run some tests on my iPhone 6+.

Congrats on your completion, but then, you are the Dev. ;)
    I plan to catch you some day.

10. Robosaru

Jul 7, 2016
    Sorry to say I have not test on the 12.9 iPad Pro. If you could check on the iPhone+ and let me know if you see the same issue I would really appreciate it. I have a new release ready to go in the next few days that adjusts the difficulty of stage 2 and 5, as well as adding a new enemy type (I'll keep the details a surprise). However, the downloads for this game on iOS have been unfortunately very poor, so I may need to focus back on Gear VR for a little while...

11. shfrost

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    #51 shfrost, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Hello again.
    I loaded the game onto my iPhone 6+ and it's perfectly smooth, no stutters when near objects or in close quarters. Apparently the issue lies with the iPad Pro, which is unfortunate, as I prefer the larger screen, and the size in this case is not a detriment. I hope your update can address the problem but I understand if you can't put a lot of time into iOS. What a shame that the downloads have been weak. This is a very good game! Sure, I'd like to see a couple of improvements like leaderboards, individual high scores, extended stats, larger online community, and of course endless mechs ;). But I'm enjoying it quite a lot as is, even though I can't 4-star level 2! Although, now with the iPhone, perhaps I can.

I look forward to your surprises! Thanks again for all of your input.

12. Robosaru

Jul 7, 2016
    Thanks for your kind words! Yes, I have a lot of plans to extend Reflex Unit experience if the downloads pickup (level generator, daily challenges etc etc). Stay tuned...

13. shfrost

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Daily Challenges would be great! So, consider me down on one knee.
    BTW, I completed the second level right after my last post. However, I died once so it's still not a 4-star win. But I think it proves the iPhone 6+ is smoother/faster than the iPad Pro (for this game, natch). The problem occurs when navigating close to objects and within tight quarters. It also seems that your left thumb can't go too far outside of the control area or it doesn't read properly. Hope that helps. Hope it makes sense.

Challenges! ;)

14. Robosaru

Jul 7, 2016
    That is useful info! I have an idea what could be causing it then. Do you think you could pass me your Apple ID via direct message - I could pass you a Beta with a possible fix in the next few days to test before general release?

15. shfrost

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Ok, message sent.

16. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Hey there,

I haven't played in a very long time. I just wanted to say HOLY CRAP!! I love the control scheme! I love what you've done with the game! It looks pretty incredible. It plays beautifully on my iPhone 6s+. I love the voice overs and the breaking news cut scenes. Really well done!

I'm going to dig deeper into it tomorrow as it's really late but wow what a difference from when you first launched the game!!!

Billy

17. Robosaru

Jul 7, 2016
    Thanks Billy! I'll pass your comments onto the team (which is just me...) :)

Seriously though I am developing this on my own in my spare time as a passion project, so your feedback means a lot. Just wish the sales would pickup... there are to many apps on the store and Reflex Unit gets lost in the sea...

18. Robosaru

Jul 7, 2016
    Coming in the next update:

Breaking news: some of the enemy tanks have learnt how to switch on their energy shields. More on this story when we have it...
    [​IMG]

19. shfrost

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area

Excellent. Looking forward to it!

20. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Robosaru,

Here's the thing. When you first released the game I begged you to add IAP so I could send you money lol. I got a new phone and hadn't loaded the game. I saw you updated it and I decided I wanted to play again and now it's a full paid game with no IAP. So again I'm stuck not being able to send you anything. You are killing me. I wish you would have made it another game so I could have purchased it. I would have.

So how about this. Could you add an IAP. I know I Know. I hate the idea. BUT hear me out first. Make the IAP a special mech. Not too powerful but not too weak. Sort of in the middle but maybe with some cool special ability. Call it the Reflex Mech or something. That way those of us who adopted the game early can contribute and those that want to have a cool mech can pay if they want to.

Billy