Out Now Redout: Space Assault (by 34BigThings)

Discussion in 'Apple Arcade' started by Boardumb, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA

2. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Can’t wait for this one and hope it comes out soon!

3. boydstr

boydstr Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Male
    Gamer
    Netherlands
    Looks great!!

4. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    REDOUT like the racing game Redout?! They have my attention...

adin and Anotherkellydown like this.
  5. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 10, 2014
    Male
    Machine Operator
    Upstate NY
    Thought the same thing! Sadly it’s not the one I think you’re referring to. On the bright side, this still looked like it had promise when I watched the trailer on Xbox the other day. I’ll have to give it a try at soon. So many games...

sweetdiss likes this.
  6. RawData

RawData New Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Male
    This seems a bit like hyperburner

7. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
  8. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Not sure why I didn’t realise but its on rails. Not for me.

Quite pretty though.

9. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Agreed. It’s not obvious from the trailer. I was expecting something different. It’s kinda weird to play this kind of “on rail” combat in 2019. I see no fun in that, hence, deleted.

10. LeoMoraes

LeoMoraes Member

Jul 15, 2017
    It’s out! Finaly!

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

It’s actually either on rails or free flying, depending on the mission. And even when it’s on rails, there is a fair amount of movement control.

I’m thinking of the shooting sequences as a 3D shmup. Overall, I’m finding it quite fun.

anthony78 likes this.
  12. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    That’s actually what I was expecting. Hoping for even. 3D shmup. It just doesn’t feel like it for me. This is more similar to Epoch 2 gameplay which I don’t find as satisfying as back in the days.

Anyway, I deleted the game immediately after the very first “on rail” mission. I guess I could give it another chance. Especially if you’re saying there’s some free flying involved as well. Won’t hurt I guess.

13. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Despite being on the rails, going to give it a shot. Played the first mission and seemed fun.

Was hoping for something similar to Subdivision Infinity, but still looks pretty good.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Mission 3 of chapter 1 (“Like Wolves on the Prowl”) has you exploring around an asteroid to find scattered blueprints. Don’t know how many free-flying missions there are, but they do introduce the mechanic early on.

weipeng likes this.
  15. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    I too shall give it another go then.
    I really dislike on rails but I’ll endure it if there’s some decent free flying as recompense.

16. bx59

bx59 Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Give it some time y'all, it initially seems on rails and easy at the beginning, but as you progress the missions and weapons start to vary and it's getting closer to a shmup. Also even in missions on rails you feel kinda flexible as mentioned before.

17. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    #17 anthony78, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Used to love the game Arc Squadron (wish GameClub would revive this one) that was on rails so definitely will find those parts up my alley anyway.

weipeng likes this.
  18. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

So far I really like the game but holy crap does it run like garbage on the Apple TV! I can barely play it’s so slow and laggy, there’s like no reason for that. I may have to turf it and switch to the iPad, which is a serious annoyance.

19. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I’m enjoying it quite a lot I must admit but it’s not perfect on the iPad Pro either. I got a lot of jerkiness and frame drop playing the tutorial levels and it’s definitely not as bad after that but it still happens on occasion, and whilst the controls in general are pretty good I find the evade and thrust gestures not registering a fair bit.

andsoitgoes likes this.
  20. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

There’s a lot to love here. When it works, it works incredibly well.

the problem is when it DOESNT work, it’s infuriating. Multiple times I had to go in and toggle the invert settings to get them to work. It’s strange how strong the muscle memory is with flying games. I haven’t really played a TON over the years, heck the last time I really put a ton of time in was for the wing commander series (good ol Malcolm McDowell made that game!) but my brain is so boggled by the non inverted controls, so it led to a lot of issues.

Add in the poor optimization just was too much. The fact that it isn’t buttery smooth on the pro is baffling.

hopefully the devs update it to address these issues soon.