Recommendations of F2P games with Decoration mechanics

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by NadiaO, Nov 24, 2020.

1. NadiaO

NadiaO New Member

Nov 24, 2020
    Female
    Hello!

I'm doing some research, and I'd like recommendations of F2P games that make good use of decoration mechanics and live events.

The type of decoration I'm interested is not home decoration type of thing, but more city or island decoration. Some examples would be Township, Megalopolis City Building, or Hay Day.

Thanks in advance!

2. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I’m never sure if posts like this are genuine or some sort of jolly jape; I mean who does research into F2P game decorations? Who knows. Maybe NadiaO is writing a doctoral thesis on the subject. A PhD in F2P would be great.
    I suggest that Flero Games’ Abyssrium series of subaquatic games would merit in-depth study, along with their more recent Dear My Cat. Both comprise primarily adding decorations together with regular events.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah I thought it might have been some weird type of spam but I may be wrong.

As an older game in my 40's i cant stand any game which allows me to add decorations to rooms (or costumes for characters). I just want to play the game and don't care for any of that. And dont get me started on my feelings on F2P !

Cant stand it when its Xmas or Halloween and some of my games decide it has to be Xmas themed or Halloween !

4. NadiaO

NadiaO New Member

Nov 24, 2020
    Female
    Hi! It might sound weird, but we do that in game design when we need to implement similar features and we want to see what's out there and what type of thing players like. And yes, we call it "research".

Thanks for the suggestion Asp, AbyssRium looks really cool, and I'll take a look.

Cheers

IdleCandyLand and Asp like this.
  5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Would The Elder Scrolls: Blades count? The town building mechanic is technically functional in that game (it’s part of the leveling system), but it’s also acts as a form of decoration.

6. NadiaO

NadiaO New Member

Nov 24, 2020
    Female
    I haven't had the opportunity to play that, but I'll take a look. Thanks for the reference!

7. IdleCandyLand

IdleCandyLand New Member

Dec 11, 2020
    Game Developer
    Germany - Karlsruhe
    The game Family Island has a nice "island" theme based decoration mechanics. You can place buildings/decorations and upgrade them.

8. NadiaO

NadiaO New Member

Nov 24, 2020
    Female
    Hello IdleCandyLand!

This one reminds me to Paradise Bay, it looks good! Thanks a lot, I'll take a look too.