recommend an old horror movie

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Jayg2015, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    I'm into horror movies and would love to hear your suggestions.
    mostly looking for titles of 80s, early 90s, or retro looking newer titles.
    love it follows i recently watched this epic movie

2. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    The Stuff
    The Thing (1982)
    Carnosaur (Not necessarily a good but a very bleak horror story involving dinosaurs)
    Alien
    Event Horizon
    Tremors
    Predator
    They Live

A good 80s 90s spread tilted towards sci fi for you. The top must watch here are The Thing (1982), Predator, and Alien.

3. Mariko

Mariko Well-Known Member

May 19, 2016
    I'm a huge horror junkie, so I'll start with several of different types. From there I can expand better, as time goes on.

For now I'll start with the essentials, in no particular order. A few of them are from the 70s, though.

I want to point out that some of these have remakes. AVOID them, none of them come anywhere close to the originals.

Nightmare on Elm Street
    Friday the 13th
    Hellraiser 1 & 2
    Halloween 1 & 2
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Phantasm (while 3 and 4 are weaker titles, all of them are great movies)
    Evil Dead (Just the original. It was the only one intended to pure horror. The second one is a comedic remake of the first.
    It's great, but it isn't 'pure' horror. As far as Army of Darkness goes, it's just got a totally different feel, and not my thing)
    The Omen

For now, I'll stop there. Once I get a bit more of an idea on your tastes, I can definitely tailor some recommendations for you a little better.

Enjoy!

4. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    The Stuff is such a fun horror film. Corny goodness!

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    All good suggestions. I would add only a little David Cronenberg:

Scanners
    They Came From Within (also known as Shivers)
    Videodrome
    The Fly (the remake with Jeff Goldblum)

6. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    The Fog
    It wuz the 1zt one i had nightmares 4rm#
    Here iz a site that will give you everythang 80'z = fast-rewind

7. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Not sure that it fits into the horror genre - The Cube, by Lionsgate Studios. It will keep you on the edge of your seat though.

8. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I loved The Cube. Did you also watch the sequels?

9. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I'll second the recommendation for John Carpenter's The Thing - it's just about perfect as horror sci-fi goes.

Keeping it old school, taking it back to the Seventies:
    Don't Look Now
    The Exorcist (obviously)
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the 1970s one with Donald Sutherland is the best of the three versions that I've seen)
    The Wicker Man
    And another David Cronenberg suggestion, The Brood, which is typically weirder than it is creepy

10. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    The second one. I felt it was much less dramatic so I never got the third. What did you think of them?

11. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Even those these are far older, the Alfred Hitchcock productions of The Birds and Psycho are still probably the original models of how suggestion is the ultimate instrument of horror.

12. Mariko

Mariko Well-Known Member

May 19, 2016
    The original is fantastic. The second movie felt like it was toned down. The last one 'Cube Zero' is actually set before the events of the first one. It does do some interesting things, and is worth checking out. I really don't want to say much more. They were all inspired by a 60 min teleplay of the same name, that aired on NBC in 1969. Surprisingly enough, it's pretty easy to track down online. Even though it has never been commercially been released to buy. And I definitely recommend doing so. It's very good, but I do want to point out: don't go into it expecting it to be like the movie trilogy that was inspired by it decades later. But definitely watch it.

13. Mariko

Mariko Well-Known Member

May 19, 2016
    As far as recommendations go, I was saving the older stuff for later as it seems the poster was first asking for more recent (or what I still consider more recent, relatively) titles. One can never go wrong with Hitchcock. Personally, I love stuff as far back as the silent era. But I kind of got the impression, that poster might need to be 'eased' into the older stuff. I thought I might have been pushing it with stuff from the 70s, since stuff from the 80s and 90s.

14. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thank you! I will watch it tomorrow on Halloween. ;)

15. Mariko

Mariko Well-Known Member

May 19, 2016
    Enjoy! I should also point out that the 1969 teleplay isn't horror. I thought I should say that, so that anyone watching doesn't go into it, expecting it to be.

16. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    A bit earlier than 1980's but well worth watching - gave me nightmares for a week as a kid:

Rosemary's Baby

17. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Are you a fellow movie buff? I don't really care so much about genre as the ability of the film to suck you in and become apart of its world. Thanks for the reviews, will check out the teleplay. I love historical tie-ins.

18. Mariko

Mariko Well-Known Member

May 19, 2016
    I'm more obsessive when it comes to great movies, and am always happy to turn someone on to something new!

19. Isometro

Isometro Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Mobile Gamer
    NW USA
    I am surprised that nobody has mentioned House of the Devil. It was made in 2009, but crafted to look like it came from the 70s or 80s. For a while I think they even sold a limited edition that came with a retro-looking VHS.

It's not a typical "horror movie" but if you have Netflix I would recommend watching Stranger Things. It has a similar "modern day retro" feel.

20. Mariko

Mariko Well-Known Member

May 19, 2016
    I haven't seen it, but will definitely check it out. My biggest problem is that I've got so much stuff to watch/want to watch, I've literally got shelves and stacks of stuff that I haven't yet. And that's not even factoring stuff on streaming services I haven't gotten to yet.