Universal Reckless Racing 2 - (by Polarbit) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 1, 2012.

1. helriser

helriser Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Well I just downloaded the game and I must say the steering wheel option is HORRIBLE. Completely impossible to control the car properly. How can they screw that up when MMR and Death Rally pull it off with such ease?

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    WELL worth the price. Every cent. One of the few standout titles on iOS that are actually worth the asking price (when the asking price isn't 0.99)

3. pcgeek73

pcgeek73 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    agree with the controls for the steering wheel. really doesnt work well at all. But other than that, this game is awesome. Stunning graphics on the Iphone 4S. controls, besides the steering wheel, work great.

Collision detection is perfect and it seems like there is a lot of content.

4. Cerberuz

Cerberuz Active Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Reckless Racing 2 is definitely worth the $5. I will tell you guys why later when I'm not playing it. :)

5. helriser

Oct 28, 2011
    Well after trying the steering wheel and tilt, tank controls seem to work best for me. All else look great so far.

6. AbsolutePhenom

AbsolutePhenom Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    It's definitely A LOT different then the first. I'm liking it so far. The only thing I'm disliking is the fact the seamus is so much better then everyone else. If you don't win the race he does. If you don't win the cup, he does. Every single time. I wish it was more random and not have one person who is that much better then everyone else in every race in every cup. Grrr.

7. Cowboyman381

Cowboyman381 Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US
    Loving the game....it's every bit as fun as the original (and to me that is saying something) !

The only problem I have is every time I play it and choose Arcade Mode....it crashes....every time.....Every other mode (Career and Single Race) is fine....I'm playing on a iPad 1....iOS 5.0....never jailbroken.

It plays real good on the iPad 1 though....there is a little choppiness when that BEAUTIFUL water is on the screen...(Best water I have seen on the iPad by the way) !!

8. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    The drifting in this is still there, as in the first one, kinda loose to begin with, but as you upgrade your vehicles handling things get more controlled, but still with the drifting there (if that makes sense).

9. helriser

Oct 28, 2011
    I'm having somewhat of a mix feeling here. While there are tons of improvement in the game over RR1, I feel however the cars in rr1 animated/drove better on the road than they do in this one. I even went to play Reckless Getway again and even the cars in RG simply control and animate way better than in this game... for me anyway!

Reckless Getaway has weight shifting, this one seems to be very flat. I can't even spin out an opponent or hit them off the track. Sad!

10. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #110 Big Albie, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    Reckless Racing 2 Drives Home a Winning Sequel

Movie sequels generally don’t have a good track record when it comes to topping the original. Video games, on the other hand, are a decidedly mixed bag often times delivering outperforming sequels that provide superior gameplay. So where does Pixelbit’s Reckless Racing 2 rank? The similarities between the two games don’t extend beyond the name as the sequel is significantly different than its high-falutin predecessor and in many ways, much better with more of a focus on racing, track design, upgrades and customization. If you’re a fan of top down racers, then RR2 is arguably one of the best in the genre on the iOS platform. While some may argue about the physics within the game, RR2 provides a top flight racing experience along with plenty of content that should keep gamers entertained.

Visually, RR2 is all about the details and the visual depth when it comes to the tracks. The tracks are very detailed right down to the barriers, orange cones and surrounding environments. RR2 is the details especially during races. Whether it’s mini sand storm that gets kicked up on skids or the shadows that cast themselves along the track, RR2 does not disappoint on that end.

Unlike the original, RR2 does away with the hillbilly theme so gone are banjo tunes and “Yee haws!” that were humorous to some and irritating to others. Racing among 24 tracks, the objective in RR2 is to earn money which can then be used to purchase cars and upgrades. With the Sansiban XL as the default, RR2 offers a total of 18 cars, each with customizable attributes in speed, acceleration and handling. These cars include Vico Tourado V6, Maxima Ventri, Trumper M2, Yoshma Rally, Phantom GTS, and Textor V2-R to name a few. There are number of upgrades for the engine, handling, and tires as well paint, rims and window tint. Also a garage is included where purchased cars are stored.

While the vehicles look great in the garage, one thing to point out is that the vehicles don’t seem to have as much texture or depth as the original game during gameplay. For me, this is a mixed bag that ultimately doesn’t impact gameplay, but it’s something I miss.

The devs do a nice job of including steering control options: Full Wheel, Half Wheel, Standard (directional arrows), Tank, Tilt. From here, players also set auto gas, steering sensitivity and even adjust the placement of controls. Personally, I found all the controls extremely usable, although my personal preference is the Full Wheel with auto gas turned off.

If that weren’t enough, players can also adjust assists and the difficulty. The game uses dynamic difficulty where the game gradually increased the difficulty so races will start out relatively easy and will become harder as races are won. If you’re in the mood for road rage, turning off dynamic difficulty will allow you to set your own difficulty level.
    These options are some of the most extensive available for this type of game so players should be able to fine tune the game to their liking.

RR2 has several gameplay modes: Career, Arcade, Single Event and Multiplayer. Within each of these modes, there are a number of variations for the 24 tracks. In Career, players race in a number of tournament cups: Roadrunners (Rookie), Reckless Cup, Swoop Cup, Moto Sprint, Crowley Cup, Red Rocket, Super, Golden Rim, Roundhill, Tropic Breeze, Framstupa, and Outer Peak.

Arcade offers 40 challenges where the objective is to finish in the top 3, earn gold stars, and win prize money. Challenges are unlocked with a top 3 finish, and prize money can be used to purchase vehicles and other upgrades.

In Single Event, 3 event types are offered: Race, Hot Lap and Elimination. Hot Lap is basically a competition against yourself to beat your best track time. I actually find this to be a good practice event before engaging in Career or Arcade modes. Elimination is a race where the goal is avoid finish in last place for each lap. Note that these tracks must be unlocked in Career and Arcade mode before they are available in Single Event.

Aside from the vehicle animation mentioned earlier, the gameplay in RR2 should make racing fans happy with an engaging and intense racing experience. The early races start out relatively easy with other cars slow and docile. I had no problems speeding right by them without much interference. Part of the difficulty early on is that the vehicle will have very little handling which makes the controls feel loose and subsequently adds a degree of difficulty. The races do become more difficult as players progress, and of course, the track terrains alter racing strategy. A number of obstacles such as dunes and ramps add to the overall experience. But, so does the smoke from engaging the brakes or the sparks from swiping across metal barriers.

Where the game does excel to a certain degree is in the actual driving experience. The controls are responsive although they do have a small learning curve depending on the selected option. The power slides around curves are actually pretty entertaining once you get the hang of it. And, sideswiping and ramming other vehicles adds to the fun. Tailgating right up against the car in front is even possible right before swiping them aside. However, unlike the original, there isn’t a sense of weight shifting, for example, when making a quick turn which may be due to the reduced vehicle animation.

While mentioning customizations and options, a mini map and green guide line are also options. One of things players will notice is how extensive and long some of the tracks can look and feel. A green guide line appears on the track showing track direction which is useful early on. But, as players become more comfortable with the tracks and desire a bit more difficulty, the guide line can be turned off.

As money is earned, purchasing and upgrading is relatively straightforward. For those who are impatient, RR2 does have IAP where players can buy credits that can be applied to picking new wheels and other gear. What should resonate well with players is that IAP are by no means necessary to progress in RR2.

It’s worth pointing out that the physics can sometimes feel a little out of whack. There are times when the cars don’t seem to shift such as on a quick turn and as funny as it sounds, in crashing. Vehicles sometimes don’t behave the way they should when crashing into each other, while crashes into the side barriers or environments can also have strange reactions. Also, occasional lagging and stuttering does occur, not often, but noticeable when it does and this was the case running on an iPad and iPhone 4S.

RR2 does offer GameCenter support, but the number of achievements is relatively small. In terms of importance, this will vary from player to player, but know that there isn’t much there at the moment.

RR2 is a significant upgrade and change from the original and really should be considered a standalone game from the original. From the tracks and cars to the options and of course, the racing experience itself, RR2 is a winner. Regardless of whether you’re a novice or an advanced racer, RR2 has the content and depth to appeal to everyone.

Albie Meter: 4.5 Stars (engaging gameplay with a plenty of content and depth, a variety of tracks and vehicles; a completely different game from the original; multiple responsive control options and game modes; visually detailed tracks, although cars lack texture; minor physics issues; occasional lags and stuttering)

11. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    I will probably get burned for this, but as I continue to play through, it is becoming apparent that this is the most beautiful looking racer on the iOS... the detail is phenomenal, the smoke from the tyres is perfect, the sunlight beams through the trees, the waves lapping on the beachside track.. the list goes on.

I know it's a big call but I am stunned how good this looks... this is console quality on a handheld, crazy!

IMO everything about this game from the graphics to the gameplay is absolutely stunning, everything..

12. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Don't flame me for this, but IMO I think rr1 was better... In almost every way besides buying cars. The whole point of reckless is that you can go off road, and drive in the mud and stuff. I liked the way the camera was, and the way that the cars could go off road, unlike on this one where they just get bumped, but still stay on the road.

13. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Maybe they plan to implement more true "off road" tracks in the future hopefully? :p

14. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    I hope. :)

15. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Among the best top down racers. There aren't many really good ones.

16. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    So far I really like this game. I never got the first Reckless Racing but this is a lot of fun. The tracks are well designed and the AI actually seems to give me a good challenge at parts. The controls may take a few minutes to get used to but those are good as well and there are a few different options in the settings. Also, the customization of your cars is a really nice feature. I've always enjoyed that in racing games.

I don't know if I'd call it the best racer on the platform but really that's personal opinion anyway. Personally, I prefer something along the lines of Real Racing 2 because of the realism it tries to offer and the 3rd person camera angle. All in all though, Reckless Racing 2 will be sticking on my phone right along side Real Racing 2 for the foreseeable future. Real Racing offers the realism I sometimes crave while Reckless Racing is a solid, fun, top-down arcade racer.

Really, my only big complaint so far is that there doesn't seem to be a way to turn off the menu button sounds which I'm kind of finding annoying. Also, although it isn't a complaint as much as it a suggestion, I'd love to see Airplay Mirroring supported in this game as racers on my TV are always fun (I haven't tried mirroring but I didn't see anything saying that it's supported like Real Racing or Modern Combat does it).

TL;DR - Fun arcade racer. Definitely worth the price if you're a racing game fan.

17. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Did anyone try it with Blutrol + iCP / iCade?

18. MitchNied

MitchNied Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Student
    Australia
    This is amazing!!!

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm enjoying this, , RR1 was a good laugh with the tracks, this one seems more 'serious', would love some full off road tracks as someone else mentioned.

Its a bit like Death Rally but with no weapons, just lots of tracks to play on, earn money and improve your car.

Really enjoying it, huge fan of Super Sprint style games and its great seeing this all these years later from that arcade classic.

20. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    thanks, i knew that something is not right after watching Sanukus videos. No offroad???I dont like $5 games and IAP's in the same package. And if i want deep car customization - i'll play Real Racing 2.