Universal Reckless Racing 2 - (by Polarbit) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    What are you talking about? The publisher is the one dropping the price to generate revenue and exposure which further generates revenue, not the customer.

2. Arq24

Arq24 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #63 Ayjona, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    Actually, properly coded online multilpayer allows for private rooms, which allows for the exact same experience as local multiplayer (provided you fellas meet up in real life to play online), barring lag (which was never a problem for me in Reckless Racing 1, and rarely is in ANY online action game for iOS but SFIV Volt). Let's hope RR2 allows for private rooms/password-protected/invite-only games, and we will all be perky and happy ;)

I don't think you can, even though you do try :) And, new or not (which it certainly is not. Automatic upgrades are as old as player-controlled development, which is to say, almost as old as computer games themselves), a VAST majority prefer to choose their own upgrades, almost regardless of genre and audience (one of the most pervading trends in gaming, today, just like ten or twenty years ago), so you'll find it rather lonely in the automatic upgrade camp ;)

4. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    #64 EightRooks, Feb 1, 2012
    Oho, am so getting this. I absolutely loved the visuals and the controls in Reckless Racing and Reckless Getaway, and only the lack of any real campaign mode in RR1 (and, well, not finding comedy redneck jokes that funny :p ) stopped it from being one of my favourite arcade racers ever. Probably buying this twice, if it does turn out to be as good as it looks; once on the Touch, then again on my Android tablet once the exclusivity period on the Play is over. Complaining about $5 if it is RR1, improved, plus a lengthy campaign would be ridiculous.

EDIT: And although I'm not that bothered about multiplayer, local and private online rooms are hardly the same thing! Unless you've got some kind of full-body hologram projection system rigged up to beam your friends into your front room...

DOUBLE EDIT: ...although I guess you can just run a private room with your friends who are physically there. Not that you can tell almost none of my real-life friends are into videogames or anything. :eek:

5. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #65 GoofyJmaster., Feb 1, 2012
    Dis be iOS bruh!

:D

Yeah, $5 for this seems much more than reasonable.

6. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That was very much my point ;) (Hence the same thing, barring lag, which is often a non-issue.)

7. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    wow, we made it to page 5 before asinine comments about price drops on a, *gasp* $5 game!

anyway, i might get this, but i barely touched the first one after waiting impatiently for its own release. i should probably play that one a bit first.

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Based on what I've seen and the reports I've read, you'd probably be better off jumping directly to Reckless Racing 2. Seems to be the kind of sequel that makes the original redundant in every way. Provided you have the money, and are still planning to spend them, etc :)

9. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

For me personally and friends it's important that we can join local mp games…

1. Without WiFi/carrier (because we play on locations where is no), Bluetooth would be essential (works perfect in Asphalt 5 and 6 without any lag, superfast games)
    2. Without Game Center (see my sig)

Then we'll be perky and happy.

I did see super smart intelligent auto upgrades only once in an iOS racer. Don't remember the name but I am pretty sure it's a low grav racer. They are implemented in a modern way and I appreciate that (at least as an option).

No. At least my racer friends have all the same opinion. They want to race and not to go shopping and buy some nitro or new brakes and tyres because it's always the same. It's a very bad money and going-shopping-addiction nowadays. Too much! A pestilence. "Always when I'm depressed I go shopping." :rolleyes:

Those RPG elements were fun for some time but now almost EACH new game has them. There is enough shopping in the App Store—I personally don't need that inside EVERY game.

10. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    Wahoo im back anyone miss me lol might pick this one up for a start

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That was kinda the point of my post, that for the majority, private rooms/invite only/password-protected games will be enough for local play as well, which might mean you might not see local multiplayer in Reckless Racing 2. I hope you (and the rest of us) do, though :)

In this case, I am speaking from a foundation of statistics and thorough market research, and can unfortunately tell you that while I've no doubt you and your pals would prefer the opposite, some element of controlled progression through upgrades is the order of the day, and appreciated by a vast majority :) The number of requests for car customization and upgrades after the release of Reckless Racing 1 was probably enough for the devs to deem that selectable upgrades and car customization is a financially sound move, and I doubt they will remove it (though possibly introduce an automated upgrade process, if you suggest it often enough ;) I still doubt it will happen, unfortunately for you fellas). You will probably not see less of this mechanism over the coming years.

(Reliance on the opinions of friends is a common argument, and while I've no doubt you all share that view, it is not enough to achieve statistical significance :) )

My conclusion is that Reckless Racing 2 is probably not for you, and I guess that you might have to search well and long to find the kind of top-down racer yer looking for. But the best of luck to ya ;)

12. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    So how does the game perform on ipt4s !?

13. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Plays absolutely perfect on mine. I for one, love the new upgrade system. Great game so far and looks perfect. ��

14. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

I am not a politican. I don't care about the vast majority (I am almost afraid of the human vast majority), marketing and statistics at all. Thanks for your kind words, Ayjona, but for me it wouldn't be a problem if I would be the only one with my opinion in the whole universe. No need for consolation.

Just wanted to say that the shopping mania is insane today and maybe some dev comes up with something different and even more exiting than "buy this and that".

Don't be too sure on that. I am a racer addict. And the genre is NOT served too well in our iOS world. So you have to take what's there.

15. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    First couple of races (just tried the first easy cup) run great on my iPod Touch. Very, very minor lag here and there - it's noticeable if you're looking for it, but doesn't get in the way of play at all. Feels very like the first game to me: it took me one race to get used to flinging the car round sharp turns again, but the first vehicle they give you in the campaign certainly seems to slide round corners in much the same way as the rides in RR1 did. This is just the first few minutes and I've no idea how things might change with different cars or a harder difficulty, but still, I'm impressed - looks fantastic, handles well. I'm eager to try some more.

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #76 Ayjona, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    After just a few minutes, the game seems to be everything Reckless Racing 1 might have aimed for or wanted to be, but was far from. It feels and looks great. At least after just a few glimpses and some quick dabbling about and around, RR2 seems to be the RR2 of top-down racers :p For those of you hoping for a really souped-up Reckless Racing 1, you can probably safely go ahead and spend dough.

You don't have to care for the opinions of others (though they can sometimes be an indication of standardized morals and sentiments that remain wide-spread for a reason ;) ). But you might want to assume for that developers often do ;)

(And there is a difference between caring about them, and knowing their opinions. The latter is very useful, even if you find yourself the polar opposite. Slightly less dramatic, relevant and pertinent in the case of Reckless Racing 2 and upgrades, but it does explain why the devs choose to implement a customization and upgrade system of this kind ;) )

True. Then I hope you enjoy it. I already am, even though this is not my genre of choice ;)

17. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Can't wait. I was pretty disappointed with mini motor racing, hopefully this can get me to delete that game once and for all.

18. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    #78 EightRooks, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    About my only complaint from the first few races is it seems possibly kind of easy... I did place poorly in a couple of runs just now, so perhaps I tricked the dynamic difficulty system? :D But I saw two AI cars hugging their way round one bend, slowing themselves down and letting me go straight past, and another AI that got glued to one of the heavy movable obstacles, stuck there growling along and letting me overtake. Might just be pure chance - just making an observation.

EDIT: Although picking parts unwisely can still screw you over even when the AI isn't doing so well. Did very badly in the next couple of races because from what I can tell boosting your speed and acceleration but leaving your handling alone (didn't buy new tyres) means you slide a whooole lot more than normal. <_<

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Luckily, we can turn off the dynamic difficulty (which, yeah, does seem very forgiving from the outset), and crank up that difficulty slider :) I'll try it and report back. Howsit working out for you?

20. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Ok, finished 2 cups and the game is AWESOME. Improvement on the first in every way. I hope devs get good money for this, as this game deserves to be very successful. Those who complain about the price should STFU. This game is worth every penny!!!!!!!!! If it goes down in price it would be a crime against humanity.