Universal Reaper - Tale of a Pale Swordsman by Hexage

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Sep 21, 2013.

1. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    I'm really loving the game. but one question, what upgrade should I buy?

2. michaelfields

michaelfields Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I bought the version with everything because I'm really enjoying the game but someone said earlier you can just buy whichever version and upgrade if you want to for whatever the difference in price would be.

I haven't found the torken arena or any of the special armors yet from upgrading but the fortune teller is pretty cool. Not sure if it's worth the money yet but I seem to be making plenty.

3. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    The dark legend option in my opinion is well worth the little bit extra.

4. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Yeah you can buy the $2.99 version and upgrade to the next one up for .$99 or leap that and go straight to the final upgrade for $1.99. I personally really love that option., especially since they make it all the same price in the end. Good stuff!

5. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Damn, I have the arena, lots of special ger but I haven't found the fortune teller yet (level 27)

6. Avantyr

Avantyr Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #166 Avantyr, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    For the FT->
    Check the western part of the map for an icon similar to the accessory shop. I got it around lvl 15, I believe.

7. michaelfields

Jun 14, 2010
    You're talking about the fortune teller, right?
    I'm almost level 30 and still can't find the arena.

8. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    thanks for the info! i think i'll start with the adventure version then upgrade as i go.

9. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    I don't trust in-app purchase for full version. If the app ever vanishes from the store, the ability to get the full version restored from deleting the app goes with it. :(

And it looks free at first glance.

And I can't see if it ever goes on sale.

So sick of these. It actually looks interesting, but...

10. michaelfields

Jun 14, 2010
    So can anyone tell me when torken arena shows up and where to find it?

11. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    There are so many things wrong, I don't even know where to start...

12. Intendro

Aug 6, 2013
    #172 Intendro, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    What is wrong?

If an app vanishes from the store, I assume the in-app purchases aren't going to stay on the server either. If you delete the app, IAP are deleted. If the IAP are not on the server, you can't get it back then.
    If an app is simply the full version, I can back it up on my computer and put it back.

It does look free at first glance. The listed price of the app is "Free."

A price change notifying app does not work, as the app itself is "free." Can't tell if an IAP goes on sale without checking every single day...

13. squashy

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    IAP in Reaper are unlockers, not consumables. You can spend hundreds on the latter with no guarantee that you get to experience most of the game, but you can spend at most 5 measly bucks here and be over with it. Furthermore, Reaper is content-based, so by the time you delete it you have likely played it sick. In the end of the day, the former pay model is much more reasonable, so if the app disappears from the Store - which is rather paranoid to be worried about if you ask me - you aren't losing potentially much.

Beside, if you backup the app, the backup contains your progress as well. If you have purchased the unlocker, you aren't losing anything in any case.

And you assume every frikkin free app on the App Store is essentially "free"?

Then buy it. The least you're losing is 2 dollars. TWO.

14. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Dude Intendro, if you're so worried about deleting it then DON'T DELETE IT. This game is amazing and guess what, it only takes up 30MB! It's not like it's 200MB of space sitting there. Even if I get bored of it, I probably won't delete it because it barely takes up room and I can always come back to it.

15. Intendro

Aug 6, 2013
    "IAP in Reaper are unlockers, not consumables."

You can't restore consumable stuff anyway. This doesn't have anything to do with my point about making the full version an IAP.

"And you assume every frikkin free app on the App Store is essentially "free"?"

"Free" technically means free. Sometimes here it means "free with consumable stuff to buy."
    It honestly shouldn't mean "free except the game stops and you absolutely have to pay money to continue."

"Then buy it. The least you're losing is 2 dollars. TWO."

I was speaking about full version IAP in general. Look at Final Fantasy Dimensions. It was, what, $20+ for the full game IAP? Wouldn't you want to easily see if it's on sale with a price notifier app?

"Dude Intendro, if you're so worried about deleting it then DON'T DELETE IT."

Sure, but... Something could go wrong.

Something can go wrong.

Upon updating to iOS 7 and deciding to play Ghost Trick again, I discovered that my IAP of the full version had disappeared, and it won't restore. The game's description says they are working on fixing iOS 7 compatibility but...
    If the IAP of a game that no longer exists disappear, and if a backup didn't restore them somehow...
    Don't underestimate the possibility of something going horribly wrong.

"...by the time you delete it you have likely played it sick. ...if the app disappears from the Store - which is rather paranoid to be worried about if you ask me - you aren't losing potentially much."

What- come on now, that's not an argument. Tons of people still go back and play NES games again.
    I do not want to lose any of my games.

Some games I've gotten have disappeared from the app store.
    Paranoid, am I? I think not. :p

16. squashy

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Exactly my point. Full game unlock or consumables, as long as it's IAP there is the risk of unability to restore it. If you ever lose the ability to restore your IAP, you are likely to feel like crap if you've purchased some virtual currency pack which might have gotten you to nowhere in the game, but a full game unlock should have offered you much more up until the point you delete it, replay it again and somehow unfortunately cannot restore your IAP.

Long short story, your problem is with IAP in general, not just full game unlock - which by the way is the fairest kind of IAP and if you still cannot tolerate that, you should have avoid this game in the first place since it's free. Which brings me to the next point...

Free on the App Store basically means "free to download", nothing more, nothing less. I mean, you mention you have played Ghost Trick, what's the dang difference between the pay model of that one and this game's?

Well too bad the developers never consider making it easier for you to spend as less as possible.

To be fair, there is a website that tracks IAP sales too, but I never bookmark it. IAP rarely go on sale anyway. Just buy this one man, buy the cheapest one and you can upgrade to higher unlock tiers if you want.
    Okay let's end this, you're worried that accidents might happen. But we can never tell if it's gonna happen or not, so stop being so paranoid and just enjoy the games. Yeah, I'm sticking with "paranoid".

Btw I just finished a quest with a guy asking me to kill some boars to earn him a position, refused to lie that he did it so I was rewarded with 1 gold coin !(◎_◎") take note people, just lie that one time.

17. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    This app won't disappear from the AppStore. Hexage has a been a premier publisher on iOS since the early days of the AppStore. If I had to make a short list of developers I don't expect to see disappear from the AppStore until the AppStore disappears, Hexage would be on it. In fact, Hexage games are an excellent investment in general. All of their apps, some several years old, are updated a couple of times a year, so you know they will remain compatible.

18. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    You're on the wrong platform buddy. Any game on the App Store, premium or otherwise can and will eventually go bye bye. It's the nature of the digital app store. Why? Because updates eventually make games obsolete. Unless a developer continues to support an app indefinitely, it will eventually cease to exist. I guess you could hold onto an old iDevice to run the old and supported iOS, assuming it won't ever break..which it will at the very least lose its battery. So yeah, your logic is flawed.

If we're speaking in shorter terms like the next few years, you should look at the developer and their rep. Does this developer have other quality games available? (yes 8 total) Have they been out for more than a few years? (yep) Than make your decision.

But please refrain from complaining about tracking a potential sale because you're too cheap to buy it at $3. ;)

19. Intendro

Aug 6, 2013
    #179 Intendro, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    "You're on the wrong platform buddy. Any game on the App Store, premium or otherwise can and will eventually go bye bye. It's the nature of the digital app store......So yeah, your logic is flawed."

Well, I'd prefer if there weren't even more ways to lose a game. Seems logical enough.

"Well too bad the developers never consider making it easier for you to spend as less as possible."

The point of a sale is to get more people to want to buy it. If you can see that it's on sale more easily, that would help.

"But please refrain from complaining about tracking a potential sale because you're too cheap to buy it at $3."

Again, I was speaking of IAP in general, not just this particular case. See my previous post mentioning Final Fantasy Dimensions being over $20. I heard it actually went on sale...

"Free on the App Store basically means "free to download", nothing more, nothing less."

There's a big difference between a free game and a demo.

They could make up a new label, "free to try" or "demo+full version" or something.

If nothing else, the description should state this as the first sentence. This does not.
    So like I said, it looks free at first glance.

"I mean, you mention you have played Ghost Trick, what's the dang difference between the pay model of that one and this game's?"

Basically it's the same. But my choice was either uselessly refuse to support it having full version IAP, or buy it, so... I can't really do anything about it. I still don't like it.

Well, I've leveled up to 10 and want the game. Nothing to do but buy it ASAP.
    Wait, seems I can actually keep playing without leveling up.
    Ha ha, I doubt I could beat the game like this, though. :p

20. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Please take this crucial piece of logical thinking into consideration.

Simple stuff here. The pay model is preferred in my eyes. I don't care for IAP infested games. I much prefer premium; and not because I wait until they go free like some people do...

Reapers pay model allows you to check the game out and lets you decide if you want to continue playing a premium game by purchasing it. Any other fear of IAP unlocking the rest of the game should refer to the above quote.