Universal Reaper - Tale of a Pale Swordsman by Hexage

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Thank God I'm not alone here. I love difficult and challenging games. Got SH, Boson, Impossible Road, Pivvot, Bitless, 14px, Orborun, etc. all in my game folder. There's nothing more satisfying than surviving a difficult level that put your skills to to the test.

So yes, Reaper has awesome fluid controls and then it's like a bullet hell game mixed an action RPG. It's all about evasion and dodging, staying mobile. I actually love the flying enemies because then you do these awesome aerial combos.

One question: those skulls you build up, they make your attacks stronger? I'm exactly sure how they help

2. michaelfields

michaelfields Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Yeah the skulls are how you do any attacks besides the auto-attack. You can do them without the skulls but they'll score a "weak" hit every time.

3. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    #143 Echoen, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    Swipe attacks consume 1 rage skull each to deal full damage. Otherwise, they will deal lower damage noted in pink text labeled 'WEAK'. These can still crit but won't have some of the oomph a powered rage attack has like knockback and being able to make enemies flinch.
    One trait card also increases your armor by 6 or 12 points per rage skull depending on the card level.

Someone earlier up said there's no farming. Just travel back and forth between places and you'll get random encounters. Battles also make shops refresh item stocks

4. Bronxsta

I never realized that the swipe attacks used a skull. That's definitely going to change how I play. Thanks

5. Bronxsta

Just got updated
    Nice to see the dev is listening to us

6. symmetrian

symmetrian Active Member

Jul 21, 2011
    #146 symmetrian, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2013
    I, and many other gamers, would disagree vehemently with this. While it isn't for everyone, it is an extremely tightly designed game with levels of nuance that astonish me every time I play.

It's not better because it's hard, but it is in no way a 'bad' game. Not liking something does not immediately equate to poor quality.

7. Bronxsta

#147 Bronxsta, Sep 27, 2013
    Ah...no. It's not

But let's not derail the thread over Dark Souls

8. Avantyr

Avantyr Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #148 Avantyr, Sep 27, 2013
    I like this game, just felt some things were not too balanced(not really a matter of difficulty, I wouldn't mind it if they made proyectiles 1hit kills, as long as I had a way to dodge, since dashing means you get hit a bunch of times), but most stemed from the dash move not being a dodging move...(one thing I don't like about the dash is how it flips stunned enemies around, I dash to get behind them, so it backfires...)

My only problem with the difficulty thing is that some people, who think of themselves as "hardcore" gamers, think that beating a hard game is an achievement, and act like difficulty=quality.

In regards to DS,
    -----------------------
    It isn't a good game, it's only selling point is its difficulty, I played dark souls and demon souls, and the dlc. You are not going to convince me that they what you lose in gameplay in order to make it harder and grindier makes them better. The stamina system is idiotic, you lose your breath after like 3 strikes... The story is non existent, there is no item variety, characters are just as bland as the gameplay, and it's an endless grind.
    Every once in a while I do pick them up and keep playing, unless I have something else to play. I loved dragon's dogma, and I just got diablo 3, so I won't be back to those 2 for a while.
    ------------------------
    Sorry for the off topic rant, I was just making a point.

This game's art style is very cool, will play until i beat the story if I have some free time.
    I'm out, good luck to you all.
    Thanks for the game.

9. Bronxsta

Must...resist...DS comeback....

Yeah Reaper's art style is really good, I love the enemy design and the background art.

10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Not balanced in what way? I think if the dash were a dodge that would create imbalance, plus there's a skill that increases your defense when dashing.

It is, and a rule is a rule. Read the forum rules before posting or you may risk "sensoring [sic]"

It is.

No one here said that, only that difficulty isn't necessarily something negative that needs fixing as some seem to believe.

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Word.

12. .THOTH.

.THOTH. Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Credit counselor :(
    Tacoma, WA
    Just finished the story and I really enjoyed this game. I would love to see a new game + mode with a different ending and more bosses. The difficulty is perfect imo, the only change I would make is that gold would stop at walls. I'm not even a quarter of the way to getting the gold achievement and I was diligent about collecting every piece. Also, I think it'd be cool to have a weapon charge implemented in the combat where you press, hold, then swipe just to mix up the combat more.

13. Avantyr

Avantyr Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #153 Avantyr, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    To clarify, despite what my comments may sound like, I don't have a problem with the game's difficulty, I just don't like having to run away/around homing proyectiles, but I may be too used to games where you can actively dodge and block. Other of my complaints have nothing to do with the difficulty, like how gold, fire hazards and factions work (opposing factions fight you rather than each other).

OP was probably the wrong expression, but ranged enemies are the only ones I find dangerous in the game, specially homing proyectiles which keep going despite the casters being long dead, or far away.
    --------------------
    I apologize for bringing DS into this, probably people with more free time and patience than me enjoyed it; I put 60+ hours into those games hoping they could change my mind.
    ---------------------

I'd like to be able to see what an item's effects do since when I got a belt with adrenaline rush+ I hadn't found the skill, so didn't know what it was.

14. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    So I'm currently level 39 and still haven't finished the main Wilderness story (farming and I had +exp gear). Already bought all the Datk armor pieces except the ring which refuses to spawn. Card reset would be nice because I'm enjoying the crit/stun build more that I went with in Dark Harvest. I went with max block instead and straight up damage since items just don't mix enough block and crit together. It was nice in the beginning but now it takes forever to kill stuff. :p At least I hardly take damage except from explosives and huge melee hits. Block chance 23.2% (x2.5 when slashing) crit chance 5.8% >:/ what builds did you guys go with and what would you have done differently?

I wish the descriptions for the bonuses were clearer. "Awareness 55%" wut? And at first I thought Skulls of Rage +x increased the max skulls but instead it lets you start with x skulls.

New strategy I have for the demon jellyfish is to jump up once first so they fly higher then jump again so I don't end up higher than them and taking 30 damage in a blink of an eye. :D I'd use stomp but it's too unreliable for flyers.

15. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Just defeated the last boss at level 40. It's a joke battle if you figure out the cheese you can do to it. Gonna start wilderness over to get the build I really want and farm up the Fortune achievement. :D

16. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I played for few hours last night and up to level 20, took me a while to get past level 12 and I dunno if I've gotten better or it's the actual game but whilst I'm not whizzing through levels, they seem it have got a bit easier.

For what it's worth, I think completing a hard game is an achievement and can see why many others think that, I feel so proud of myself when I have overcome something hard or difficult, not just in the gaming world but also real life. I'm by no means a hardcore gamer and difficulty levels vary for everyone but there is no denying the achievement when someone completes something that is difficult or hard fir them.

17. michaelfields

michaelfields Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Am I missing something on how to get better gear? I upgraded to the dark edition or whatever it's called and now I have a sword with a gold star on it (whatever that means) and it's weaker than the sword I had already.

I'm level 12 though and every item in the stores isn't worth buying. Do I find better items from quests or will they eventually show up in the store?

18. Rejera

Rejera Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2013
    They will eventually show up in the store.

19. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    One of the better arcade games I've played for awhile, I nearly skipped trying it because I thought it was freemium.

20. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    The exclusive items randomly become available in the store when you reach a certain level like a dev mentioned earlier. The Divinity set is actually the God item set and has more offensive stats compared to the Dark set which more defensive but unlocks at a higher level (30).

I managed to buy all but 1 piece from each set and I'll tell you they won't make the game easy mode. Plus, they generally cost a lot.

The item system has a number of tiers that have an increasing total of stat points, some stats valued more than others. So for example, one pair of boots might give 30 armor while another would give 10 armor and 12 speed and 105% strength. The gain is smaller at lower levels, especially if the bonus is a percent of your stats. Items are actually pretty balanced and other than your weapon, the cards you gain on leveling play a bigger role IMO with all the utility and high value stats you can get (crit chance and block).