Universal Reaper - Tale of a Pale Swordsman by Hexage

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Sep 21, 2013.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Wow I'm still playing this and it's one of my favorite games now. New enemies appear every now and then and their art is just fantastic. I love the little touches like the lightly animated backgrounds and the mech helicopters blinking red when low on health.

I'm still going through story mode and I hope it never ends, I'm having too much fun. Some levels are super unfair with all the obstacles but I'm still loving the game.

2. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I'm not completely sure, but at one point in dealing with Banker Leo I had the option to punch him for more money at the end of a quest. I did so 2 or 3 times and he said something along the lines of me regretting it. The next day I got a random battle while traveling. It said "Banker Leo sends his regards!" and I had to kill a bunch of imperial soldiers and drones, but they were all colored differently than any of the other ones I've seen so far.

So at least I know that at least some of the choices you make impact gameplay. Which is only makes this awesome game that much more awesome!

3. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I had a similar experience when doing the quest to sell the weapon for an imperial. I chose not to give him half the money after selling and he said I would regret it, after leaving that location I was attacked by a group of imperials.

Really love the game, too bad SRR is also releasing this week because it is going to get my GotW vote.

4. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Bah issues with icloud are ruining this a bit for me. And it won't let me use the same high-score username?

5. michaelfields

michaelfields Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I'm not really sure which version of this to buy. Are the things in the more expensive versions unlockable in the full version just by playing? Or just exclusive to that paid version?

6. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Exclusive.

7. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I would say its well worth going for the higher tier if you can afford to do so.

8. scavio

scavio New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    I finished the story portion of the game and want to go play in the torken arena. I can only seem to do the last battle now and can't travel off of it. Do I have to start over in order to access it?

9. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    You can buy the cheapest version ($2.99) and if you decide you want the destiny or dark IAP, you can upgrade with the prorated amount without losing money.

10. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Haven't had much time to get into this, but that's nice to know!

11. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Agreed. :)

12. Avantyr

Avantyr Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    A couple of things which I find annoying:

1- ranged enemies are overpowered:
    -they have homing misiles
    -each unit can fire anything from 1 to 15 proyectiles at once.
    -proyectiles last way too long
    -proyectiles only dissapear when they hit you or the ground (or after you've ran away for 10 seconds)
    -you have no dodge or block moves, so you either jump around
    -ranged enemies ran away, sometimes floating enemies snipe from above a chasm(which quite often has an environmental hazard on the edge) forcing you to be suicidal or bait them.

2-gold goes through walls/obstacles you can't go through, why?

3-no farming, sometimes you are forced to repeat a story battle which doesn't allow you to move around the map to get stronger, making you replay it until you are lucky enough to not get hit by 30 proyectiles at once...

4-auto-attack range is too short.

5-braziers (the plates with fire on them) hurt you whenever you walk past them unlike every other environmental hazard, why?

6-enemies from different factions gang up on you rather than fighting each other, in contrast to the story.

7- bombs, proyectiles and hazards don't hurt your enemies. Specially annoying when you are surrounded by enemies and proyectiles which pass through them...

8-drop attacks against charging boars hurts you.

I like the game, but felt like sharing since some of these were really annoying.

13. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    @Avantyr: Those are my biggest annoyances as well. I suck at the game..but the beginning was pretty fun..but around lev 8 or 9..I started having some trouble with some battles. Your point 3 about not being able to farm eventually got to me and I just quit. I couldn't mask my lack of skill by farming/grinding.. It was a fun game (at first for me), and the controls are good.

14. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle

Umm I disagree on every point. Those are reasons the game has a bit of a challenge, which is the primary selling point of the game for me.

15. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    I hate stages that have only flying enemies, especially hornet swarms combined with elves that have rapid fire homing bullets or the jellyfish that spew out multiple clusters.

Hate those jellyfish. You have to jump to be able to hit them but when you get near em, they churn out a spray of bullets. And you jump higher than they hover so you have a high chance of taking multiple hits in one go.

I love the game but rewards for some of the more difficult encounters just don't feel enough. I could spend 5 minutes being very careful around those flying mofos and get 200 coins while in a far easier encounter that took like 30 seconds to finish, I got over 1000 coins.

Hopefully the upcoming update resolves some of the issues we mentioned. Hate jellyfish.

16. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Kind of pathetic to see people complaining about a games's difficulty and acting as if challenge is a bug. I realize this is an iOS game but not every iOS game should be casual and easy.

17. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Ha, thanks! Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking this...

18. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I'm at level 12 and it's getting tough for me now, must have tried the latest battle at least ten times but that's what is making the game more fun for me. I get a little bit closer to completion each time and it gives me chance to figure out the new enemies tactics for further battles.

The challenging aspect of this game is what I love about, it's difficult enough to keep you from breezing through and makes you want to come back for more but at the same time it's not impossible.

Edit I hope they don't make the enemies easier to defeat in a update, I'd prob end up deleting tbh.

19. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #139 ScotDamn, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    Agreed. It seems people mistake difficulty with glitchy play on mobile. I guess it's the nature of the casual platform. I think this is a great game worthy of the price.

20. nds_genesis

nds_genesis New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    i too, support this notion.. have finished the game twice, with much faster time that the first one.

this is not just a simple game although it may appear to be, the early stage really spoiled you. the hero cannot goes banana and rampage through the crowd, the simplicity yet the strategy to win this game is absolutely stunning and thrilled me as a gamer!!
    i managed to win lvl 38 battle sometime with full health (greed is rock!!), yet couldnt do it the first time if the tarrot card and the equipment weren't aligned properly.

some point from me that would definitely make me look forward on the updates:

- set equipment currently doesnot have added skill/bonus point. they should really give some otherwise they're not really special. (unless the highest point for dark set)
    - i'd be thrilled to see special equipment skills like others have mentioned before, ice sword or flame sword, etc
    - i dunno if this is the case but alternate ending would be awesome. i've completed the game twice with different options, but it led to the same ending. in my second game i was really against the imperial, asked them for more money, slayed them whenever i could, and support other tribe by not asking more fee or kill them unnecessarily (unless for the tribe with pumpkins because they support imperial). but it seems that the story was fixed to one ending/result.

as for some who complain about the control, i think this is one of the best game control ever in ARPG. too many button will make it clutter as you need to see clearly the direction of enemy projectiles and missiles. the respond was quick and the inputs were simple, couldnt think on how to make it better.

i love how many people hate some enemy, like sorcerers or dark elves, that means the developer really took into account the difficulty that cannot be bypassed easily just by leveling up or buying expensive equipment. as for me I really2 hate the scepter and flying demon head shooting fast projectiles. i just whirlwind them as soon as they spawn. lol..