Universal Reaper - Tale of a Pale Swordsman by Hexage

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Sep 21, 2013.

1. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Surely exclusive then?

Thanks, hmm, I like the sound of that arcade mode, so I will probably get the third pack.

2. I think I would prefer regular button controls in this game. The gestures just aren't quite doing it for me. Either that or apple joystick support. Good game otherwise.

3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    The full game is pretty good. I'm loving the interesting / quirky story in campaign. Actually that attracts me more than Dark Harvest though once I'm done I'm sure Dark Harvest will interest me more. Does anyone know how long the campaign is?

4. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #64 Bytebrain, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    Yeah, the keyboard doesn't pop up for me either.
    I don't split my keyboard.
    Currently, it's not possible to chose a name for the leaderboards for me.
    I'm using an iPad 3.

Maybe it's an iOS issue?

5. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    You lost me at split your keyboard, I know ill sound like a divvy but I don't know what that means haha, so I'm guessing I've not done it, I'll contact Hexage, thanks for the link.

6. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I'm on the iPad mini with iOS7 and I get a white box come up, with no text area, I tried my kids iPad2 on ios6 and hers is a dark blue box with a white text area that brings the keyboard up. It's just a little niggle but it's like a scab that you got to keep picking lol. I'll let you know if Hexage replies.

7. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Cool.
    It sounds like Android owners doesn't have any issues with this.
    It's just a minor niggle in an otherwise great little title, but a niggle nevertheless. :)

Now it's just the question which IAP to purchase....

8. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Yup when I click my profile name on my Nexus 7 the keyboard pops up immediately.

I advise you to buy the full IAP, I love Dark Harvest mode, that's what prevented me from completing the campaign lol.

9. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Alright, I'll take your advice and go for the full IAP. :)
    Thx. :D

10. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I would say the dark edition, for an extra pound or so you get a lot more stuff.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Been playing this game more, must admit i'm getting used to the controls.

Think i was a bit harsh before as basically i wanted another 'Swordigo' but i know its not like that. Enjoying the story, done quite a few levels and i'll probably buy an IAP to unlock the rest.

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    OH MY GOD, that game is a bloody fantasic piece of gaming art!?!

13. airdan

airdan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Belize
    Didnt like the controls. But I'm going to keep playing until I get the hang of it.

14. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Very nice game... Controls are explained well during the tutorial... Will gladly support this game

15. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    The more I play this game, the better it gets!

It took me a while to realize this, but the environment can be pretty hostile... :)
    New players, be aware, it's cool to get extra height on your jumps on certain plants and spikes, but it can wear down your health.

The RPG inventory elements in this game is pretty deep, loads of weapons, armor, necklaces, belts etc. all with great impact on your stats.

Also, those that find the different attack moves weak(ish) in the beginning, when you level up, you'll be able to chose which stats you'll like to improve upon.
    Combined with the right equipment, they can get pretty powerful.

To those struggling with the controls, please give it a chance, they're very intuitive and easy to pull off and in this case trumps button controls IMO.

A great little gem of a game.

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Word, bro.

17. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Love this game! This is IAPs done right. Try B4 you buy, one time purchase (not in-game currency style) and reasonably priced to boot. Bought top IAP and just love the way it doesn't make you uber, this game just feels so good to play and ticks all the right boxes - I'm going straight back to it!

18. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    #78 ojtitus, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    Joining the party of people really enjoying this game. I think this is going to be my GotW this week unless Shadowrun Returns!;) Even then this would be a very very close second. Hexage has released a classic game here, all too happy to buy in the top tier as the extra mode plays more as a condensed quick play version of the game. This one might make it on my GotY list.:D

19. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    I got the largest IAP for the heck of it and currently at level 20. The fortune teller recently showed up and I need 20,000 for a card. I haven't tried Dark Harvest yet.

The controls don't really bother me. It's the behavior that ticks me off such as when there is a destructible object you just want to walk by instead of automatically attacking it while stuttering. I also hate how you can bounce off of any object you land on (even a solid shed) and be forced to use a rage down swipe attack to get to ground level. And it might just be me but I would have loved it if the charge/dash attack made you invulnerable (could be me used to Bayonetta's and Guild Wars 2's dodge mechanics).

At this point in the game, some stages feel like a bullet hell game (i.e. Raiden) in a 2D platformer. Things can get pretty hectic with a dozen enemies on the field with dozens more of homing, straight, bouncing and arcing projectiles flying arond. To top it off, traps are often lying around to further ruin your day.

That's not to say it's impossible though. Like a try and die game, you just need to adjust your attack patterns and seek out targets to keep things going right.

Leveling in the campaign feels a tad slow for my taste but in no way will you feel outclassed by enemies, just overwhelmed, if ever. Items are well balanced and ever so slightly gain more stats as you advance. Not sure on what the max level is but it goes up to at least 60.

I'd have to say personal skill and your character's gained traits matters more than items (other than your weapon) here since the equipment bonuses are so small (at level 20). Instead, they offer playstyles. I personally went with stacking block chance and raw damage but I imagine other styles like boosting only stun rate, crit chance and crit damage (which usually means low defensive stats) would work.

I'm enjoying the game and I'd probably like Dark Harvest more for the faster pacing which you can unlock with IAP. Controls work fairly well (sometimes a bit sensitive on swipes) and the system is balanced. Some personal quirks here and there but it's worth trying out for free up to 10 levels.

20. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    #80 kenken11, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    I Can't seem to change my profile name, the keyboard is not loaded when I wanna change it. Ip5 iOS 7 here. Dev plz fix it.