Universal Reaper - Tale of a Pale Swordsman by Hexage

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Gatada

Gatada Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Love the visuals. But the controls - that swiping the sword prevents turning was annoying.

2. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Been playing for a few days (android) and I love this game.

I don't think you can unlock dark harvest normally, but anyway I find it worth already that I got the most expensive IAP because its a new game mode - randomized stages with faster skill progression, adds replayability and personally I prefer playing both modes when I'm a bit bored with the campaign.

3. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Just love it, great game

4. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I'm new to the world of iOS and am still learning about the type of games I like, if I read only the description of this one chances are I'd have skipped it as fighting type games are not normally my cup of tea, but because I love this type of graphics I dloaded it. The controls feel so natural and the gameplay runs smoothly. I'm a 33 year old stay at home mum, probably not the target audience for this but I am totally in love with this game. It's my new favourite now, replacing injustice or badland as the game I'll choose to play when I have larger chunks of time.

I have played this on my iPad mini and my 8 year old daughter (another fan if this game) ipad2 and found it much easier to control and more comfortable to play on the mini. My daughter also liked the controls but it took her a couple of plays to get the hang of it.

As for unlocking, I clicked to purchase the dark adventure and I then got a message saying purchase successful, a few seconds later It said said I had been given a sword as a complimentary gift, and then I got the game centre achievement for purchasing premium. It said items are in my inventory but I can't see a way to access the inventory. Can anyone help me so I can see if my purchase has gone through?

Also is it possible to change the profile name? when ever I tap it a box pops up saying "username" and the only options are to tap ok or cancel, tapping either just makes the box disappear.

Thanks for any help.

5. Xissoric

Xissoric Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    It's crazy to me that people are complaining about the controls, they're awesome! If you're on the fence about whether or not this game is worth a try, just go download it. I've been addicted to this game since I downloaded it, it seems to be quite lengthy and there is tonnes of equipment. The combat is fun too! Might as well give it a try, and buy it if you like it.

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Full game upgrade is working now :D

Press the mask icon in the upper right corner. Inventory is categorized by type, so tap your equipped sword to see any other swords you own for instance.

The iOS keyboard should pop up if you tap the text box in the popup.

7. Mfox76

Mfox76 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    NM, just saw the prices couple pages back

8. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk

That's what I thought would happen but it doesn't, I've tried clicking on location and promo code but the keyboard won't show.

9. WarMachine

WarMachine New Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Wow holy hell I didn't expect this game to be so entertaining. Honestly I think a huge majority of ios games (not counting ports) are crap, but this one definitely stands out. And for all you people complaining about the controls, are you really not intelligent enough to learn how to use it. It's not hard FFS. And honestly it's great to see that this games iAP is actually to unlock a full version and not some paywall crap.

10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Do you split your keyboard? I've seen apps in the past that don't support that so the keyboard won't load unless you dock it before going into the app. If that doesn't work, you could try contacting Hexage support through their website: http://www.hexage.net/

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Nice... Havent played much of this yet, but my initial reactions are pretty positive.

12. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Only played the free version, but going by the trailer and what I've played...the move set seems pretty small. The focus is more on evasion, but the only moves I've gotten so far is the Whirlwind, the downward smash, uppercut, dash, and regular attack when in range.

Is that it? Combat is fun but I have a feeling that it could repetitive if those are the only attacks

13. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I'm level 25ish on my new Nexus 7 and I recommend going for the highest IAP.

One of the reasons I haven't completed the campaign yet was because of the fun from Dark Harvest mode, sometimes I get sick of some boring battle with annoying enemies in the campaign so I go to DH, which is basically an series of seemingly random battle stages but you progress quicker and buy gear sooner, I find it very fun since I love the combat in this game.

Also, I bought some items in the shop that had a star on them. I guess they are available only or the middle and top IAP tiers from what I've seen.

14. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Yup that's it. I found it less repetitive the more I played due to the enemy variety.

15. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    This game is pretty darn good. I think the controls are great. I'm playing on an iPad and just use my thumbs. I find the control scheme perfectly intuitive and fluid. An actual fixed button setup would be horrible for this game.

I went ahead and bought the highest iap. Seemed worth it. No regrets thus far. :)

16. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Pretty enjoyable. The controls are an intrinsic part of gameplay, but adjustable input areas are a must. IAP is confusing, which is unfortunate. I think a single unlock of all content would have made better sense here.

17. Woohoo, UCLA football won, now time to try this before I go to sleep.

18. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Anybody can confirm if the bonus features are exclusive or not? On the fence here.

19. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    They are exclusive.

Here's what I understand about the game editions:

The first tier unlocks the full core game, removing the level cap of 10 for free play.

The second tier adds
    Torken Arena: I have not unlocked/encountered this yet. I am guessing its a location in the torken zone of the wilderness that allows repeatable battles.
    Fortune Teller: Again I haven't encountered this, but some text popped up around level 5 or 6 hinting at the function which I believe was related to the cards you get at level up.
    Destiny Items, which will become available at shops.

The third tier adds
    Dark Items
    Additional Dark side quest line
    Additional game mode called Dark Harvest. It is sort of an arcade mode. You battle, get gold, buy gear, battle again. Your character there is separate from the one in the wilderness, and seems to power up more rapidly.

I also got a sword which was already useless by the time I bought the unlock, but would have been an upgrade from the starting weapon.