Universal Reaper - Tale of a Pale Swordsman by Hexage

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I think the controls work well. It'll get some getting used to, but it does work well.

Graphics are top notch, the gameplay is a decent side-scrolling hack and slash. Right now, im loving it.

2. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Which Full Game IAP did you choose? Can you confirm whether one can unlock bonus features of the last two IAPs through normal Full Game or not?

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Well, there's a pretty well developed story (with a central mystery) as well as character and equipment upgrading. Basically, this is a simplified take on an SNES Tales or Ys sidescrolling action RPG. With only a single character, you lose some of the strategic challenges of Tales of Phantasia, but the combat is still highly tactical, and I do appreciate the fact that you can interact with the environment.

Premium purchase is not working for me, either. Anyone been able to unlock the full game?

4. Kribo

Kribo Active Member

Jun 14, 2013
    UmeƄ, Sweden
    Had no problems with the controls. However, why be given the option to accept or decline a quest when you have to do the quest to progress? Illusion of choice or am I missing something?

5. florhackson

florhackson Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Love the game, just wish it had a jump button. ><

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    It's a damn shame the full game unlock is broken. Hopefully they will submit an update and ask for expedited review, which could mean just a couple of days.

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    ... why can't you just pretend there's a button? Tap in the lower right corner, like you would if there was an icon there... and voila, you're set.

Then you can pretend that that icon allows you to swipe gesture over it to do all the funky dashes and moves in the air. Whooptydoo...

Really... what would the addition of an actual icon add to the game, other than a section of the screen you would need to avoid while swiping?

8. DahakaJR

DahakaJR Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I drive trains, Locomotive Engineer.
    Pacific Northwest.
    Unlocking any of the tiers of the game seems to be bugged.

Ios7 iphone 5.

9. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Nice, been waiting for this one. This mean SR should be right around the corner.

10. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Downloading :)

11. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Up to level 5 now
    Very good graphics
    The controls do get a bit in the way but it seems to be getting easier. Perhaps there could be other options in the future
    Nice that this game runs on a touch 4g
    It's a shame the full game unlocks are not working right now
    Lots of fun hacking my way through wasps and screamers

12. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Yes, at first, I wanted a different control setup. But , after playing to
    the end of the demo, I was zipping and slicing like no tomorrow.

The artwork and characters are fantastic. I love the leveling and shop
    purchases you can make and the questing along the way.

Good job developers!

13. B3NDoX

B3NDoX Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    #33 B3NDoX, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
    The game has a nice concept and has tons of variety but is exacted so poorly with controls where it feels like just so floaty with really slow attacks and laggy movement. For me it feels like a kiddy fighter with the really floaty movement and tempromental controls.

The commentary of the game isn't enough to make me stay around for the endless grinding.

Graphics are amazingly stylized

Story is fine although some of the commentary feels useless and repetative

Variety and potential gameplay is really high tons of different hand-crafted enimies.

But the controls just fall out of place it feels like a game that would work with swipe controls IF they handled properly sometimes they happen a split second later or just don't register. That's not that big of a problem early on but the more you progress the more painful the controls become.

The reason I'm spending so long to write this is because I love the game and I hope the devs will work on the controls just a bit to try to make them more responsive and the movement less clunky.

14. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    What a great little game!

Controls are great IMO. Intuitive and easy to remember and execute.
    Maybe it's because I'm playing on the iPad, it may be more fickle to control on an iPhone, I don't know, but on an iPad the controls works for me.

I can't purchase the game via IAP either, I do hope they get it fixed.

Reading the description on the IAP, it's not very clear if you can get the additional items described in the more expensive IAP's by just purchasing the full game and grind a bit, or if they're only available via IAP.

They ought to be a bit more clear on that subject in the text descriptions.

I'm not very far in the game yet, but I'm having a blast so far.

15. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Never seen any lag. Your character starts somewhat slow. Speed is one of the things you can upgrade as you level.

Controls seem pretty near perfect to me. I honestly can't imagine how they could be done better.

16. bobbstermang

bobbstermang Active Member

Dec 11, 2012
    This is a sweetl game with nice animations. I've had no problems with the controls at all.

17. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

The controls seem to be pretty divisive. I think there's fluid and precise and intuitive. I'm playing on iPhone, what are you playing on? Maybe the controls are better suited for smaller screens?

18. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Has anyone been able to upgrade to the full version? I'm just wondering if it is a universal bug or device/OS specific.

19. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    No luck upgrading here. iOS 7

20. Too bad they don't have traditional controls too.