Universal RealmHacker (by KaiChihGames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Julianwind, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Julianwind

Julianwind Member

Jul 22, 2011
    About to support MFi controllers, I'll add it to my working progress and working hardly.;)
    But before it's been done, you can adjust the control pad in the option menu to make you feel more comfortable in the game.

here is a howto video

Thank you for playing RealmHacker! If possible, please take more time for the game.
    There are tons of idea hiding in levels and wish you like it!

2. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    Thank you for letting me know it.
    But fixed control is tough.
    You can't make this game's character movement available by dragging anywhere on the left side?

3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I definitely disagree. It’s very well explained in the tutorial/help section what those buttons are for. And it’s really easy to remember 3 buttons, isn’t it? Right now with transparency on controls it keeps the UI clean and as least distracting as possible. I wouldn’t change a thing in this department.

What needs some changes or (spell)checking is English translation though. English isn’t my native language. It’s not even my 2nd. I’m neither fluent in it nor in position to educate. But even I’m able to notice mistakes in spelling like “lifes” or discrepancies in tenses and -ing forms. But it’s not a dealbreaker. I’m just nitpicking.

If I may have a suggestion, I’d love to see the time requirement for each stage to get a lightning badge. With my slight OCD I have an urge to 3-star each level before moving to another. And at the moment I’m stuck at 1-5 because I can’t meet the time requirement, whatever that is. Because I tried multiple times, increased my run speed-wise each time and yet it’s still not enough. If I knew the specific requirement for time badge, I’d either give it a try again or move on if it’s so ridiculous I couldn’t possibly meet it.

Speaking about badges (or 3-starring), I really appreciate I don’t have to get all three at the same time and instead focus on specific one during each run. That’s absolutely great and I love that you went this way.

Btw, I should’ve start with the fact this game’s amazing! I love the pixel art, music and SFX. Touch controls are as precise and responsive as they possibly could be. The ability to rearrange it to my likings is just a cherry on top. If I wanted to go to extreme I’d request an option to scale them as well, but it’s absolutely unnecessary.

Anyway. Where the game excels is the level design. The ability to build blocks. The overall hacking idea. It’s just brilliant, fresh and hell of a fun! There are power-ups to buy, multiple game modes to unlock. This game has it all. I’m certainly glad I took a leap here and bought it. I read the previous complaints about first time developer and too high price and whatnot but with current launch sale at $2.99 / 3,49€ this is a no-brainer! So I highly recommend going for it while it lasts to whoever was previously hesitant about it. I’m serious guys, @Qwertz555 @psj3809 @sakara214ever @anthony78 trust me, it’s worth it!

Last but not least, @Julianwind congratulations on your game and - most importantly - thank you for it. You did a great job and I hope you won’t abandon it and bring even more content in the future. Also I really appreciate you being here, responding and taking interest in our feedback. I wish you the best and hope the game will do just great so you can keep doing what you’re doing.

So, yeah. Just my 2 cents. If anyone’s interested.;)

4. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Thanks macplash i just hit the buy button because of your post. Cheers :)

5. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Hit the buy button after @macplash post as well!

6. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    Alright, played a bit and like the concept a lot. But game desperately needs a tutorial.

After I understood the idea of building and going through blocks, I have been making more progress. However, the controls could still work better. I don’t understand why you have to move a little to get the building or moving through the blocks to work. If it flowed better with that aspect of the game, I think this could be an amazing game. But just feels wonky at the moment and too flaky as to when you can use the block controls.

7. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    What do you mean by “having to move a little to get building or moving to work”? I didn’t experience anything like that. Building and hiding inside blocks works just as I’d expect it to. I just hold the build button and start building with directional keys. No additional movement necessary. Btw, I totally love the keyboard sounds while building blocks. It feels so much like actual hacking is happening on background.;)

What I’m still struggling with a little is precise jumping. But I wouldn’t blame the game or controls. It’s on me. I struggled in games like Celeste or Super Meat Boy as well previously, on other platforms, with controller nonetheless. So I assume it’s all about practice and getting used to it. I also made peace with the fact I’m not getting that lightning badge on every single stage. I’ve never been a fan of timers, so I pivoted all my focus on those two remaining badges.;) So, after multiple attempts I finally didn’t die in 1-7, yay!

8. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    Wonder if it’s an issue with the iPhone X?

9. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Can’t say. Playing on iPad without any issues whatsoever.

10. Julianwind

Julianwind Member

Jul 22, 2011
    You know, as a game developer, it's my pleasure to hear people who said they like this game. Thank you for sharing so many feelings in playing RealmHacker, it means a lot to me.

As you reminded me, the time badge requirement in the score menu is not shown clearly. I'll fix it in the next update to make sure everyone can get it. I'm working for an update version which including fixed several bugs, some UI improvement and add the Mfi controller support. It may release at next week if everything going well. :)

I'm enjoying to hearing these feedback from you guys, wish I can hear more experience of playing RealmHacker here. Thank you!

macplash likes this.
  11. Julianwind

Julianwind Member

Jul 22, 2011
    #31 Julianwind, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    You don't have to move a little first to get these thing works.
    Please press the "Building button" before press "Direction button" if you want to building or through the blocks when the character is in stand state. Keep holding the building button, you can press the direction button multi times for more block building.

12. Julianwind

Julianwind Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Oh, I see what you want.
    Hmm, to control the character by dragging on the left side may conflict to the camera move function now. But anyway, I'll study it after I finish the MFi controller support. Thanks!

solarnya likes this.
  13. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I have to say the difficulty ramped up fairly quickly. But I’ll get to that. My favorite level so far is 2-6, especially for grinding materials. I didn’t make it through without dying yet, but I’m having a lot of fun in there. It’s great to practice game mechanics. Second favorite is 2-4 because after countless trials and errors I have learnt very valuable feature:
    when I hack existing block by changing its color to current mine and build additional blocks connected to the existing one, I can blow up the whole group of blocks by single shot, which is incredibly useful everywhere the enemies are trapped

On the other hand, my least favorite level so far is 2-7 and it’s the one I’m currently stuck at. And from what I’ve experienced I might not even make it through. I had a hard time with 2-5 already but eventually I beat it (with no badge of course), but that’s what I stated in my very first sentence. The difficulty curve became very steep suddenly. Unfortunately for me, the puzzle element seems to be fading away and with every next level the game changes to some sort of hardcore platformer mostly.

I’m about to start using shields, transformers and jammers as soon as I figure out how they work. But if they won’t make it easier for me, I might as well give up because I’m not particularly good in games like Celeste or Super Meat Boy. Which is exactly what this game’s shaping to look like, difficulty-wise. But I might be overreacting, hopefully. For my sake.;)

Julianwind likes this.
  14. That's the spirit. It's great that you're dedicated to make the game more enjoyable after launch

Julianwind likes this.
  15. Julianwind

Julianwind Member

Jul 22, 2011
    #35 Julianwind, Jan 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    I heard many people are struggling in Level 2-7. Bellow are several tips.

- Don't be shaken by the number of the Cleaners (plasma of blue color), most of them won't hurt you if you just focus on the key and the portal. Plan your path carefully before action.

- You can't destroy the cleaner that mean sometimes you have to guide its movement you want by build a block path. Trade space for your action time.

-You don’t have to be a shooting or jumping hero, even you can play the game by that way. You are a skillful hacker, you can hide in the block which build by yourself and chose the timing to act. You can stand on the bridge and destroy it when the enemy tracing for you.

-Don't forget to purchase more lives by the stars, the maximum number of lives can be 99, more lives mean you have more chance to find useful tricks to complete the level.

Hope it helps!

16. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Alright, alright. This was actually quite helpful! It still requires some proper timing, but it’s definitely doable. Hiding inside the blocks is the key. I know because I just went through this level on my first attempt after reading your post. I mean, I’m not focusing on badges, so I don’t care about dying or timers or collecting stars. I was - in the beginning - but after I realized it’s just out of my reach ATM, I shifted my focus solely on getting through the levels. For now.;) So, thanks for the helpful tips.

Julianwind likes this.
  17. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Makara Nou how is that even possible? Follow the arrows.:) But, here’s one just for you:

Julianwind likes this.
  18. Julianwind

Julianwind Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Thanks for sharing this video. Even level 1-5 is a short stage, I can recognize your hacking style. Good Hacking!!

19. Julianwind

Julianwind Member

Jul 22, 2011
    You can use the hacking ability for building multiple vertical blocks like @macplash did, or climb the wall, then build some blocks under your foot step to help you get to the top!;)