Universal Realm Defense: Hero Legends TD (by Babeltime Inc)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BabeltimeUS, Nov 1, 2016.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    It definitely copies a lot but it's not a clone as in there are some different features. For one, the hero aspect is pretty big. Looks like you can field 3 heros total in each stage. That actually is pretty fun. Then the towers are pretty typical aside from the Mage tower... Which I probably love more than any Kingdom Rush towers right now :) that attack amazing.

2. rittchard

rittchard Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    I'm having a lot of fun with the game but seem to have hit a wall at the 10th scenario in the campaign. Thus far I've had 3 stars on all but scenario 9. I normally don't mind "grinding" old levels but I'm not sure that will help much. I'm wondering if maybe I'm just not using a good setup for 10. I do fairly well up until the big boss arrives and then it all goes to hell. I've tried using some of the items, but even that has had limited effectiveness in the last wave.

It seems like my options are:
    1- Repeat old maps, which seems to only help in leveling up heroes.
    2 - Repeat/grind the Endless, which only nets me a few extra items and no xp for heroes?
    3 - Purchase gems for a third hero, but even then I'm not sure that would be enough

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

3. DezTheSpic

DezTheSpic Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Is there plans for lots of new worlds?

4. BabeltimeUS

BabeltimeUS Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Thank you! The wizard tower is one of our favorites as well! :)

5. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Testing out stage 10 for the first time (stopped after level 9 yesterday), it does seem to amp the difficulty way above every level before it which seems oddly imbalanced. As a TD junkie, the levels before were standard/non-threatening while 10 was super fast paced. I think having more levels in 10 might have been better because you might need more gold. I almost beat the stage but I focused too much on the boss and got overwhelmed but the rushing enemies.

I'm pretty sure I could beat it with a 3rd Hero which I'm going to assume is the solution for this level...

6. BabeltimeUS

Oct 28, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback! Try taking advantage of some of the different tower/enhancement combinations they provide. For example, the haste enhancement of the third tier wizard tower is very powerful in combination with the barracks tower, and the barrage enhancement of the third tier cannon tower is very powerful in combination with the scout enhancement of the third tier archer tower. The spells you can use in battle are very helpful in beating the levels, and a well placed burn spell can be crucial in finishing a level off. We tried to balance every level to be beatable without consumables though, so sometimes certain strategies are more effective than others and finding the right one is part of the challenge.

We're still in the early stages of launch and may have to make tweaks to levels based off of the kind of feedback we are seeing, so thanks for letting us know about your experience and we'll keep it in mind as we make adjustments for future updates.

7. BabeltimeUS

Oct 28, 2016
    We're hoping to create more worlds and content in the future, so ratings and good community involvement is definitely great in helping us to continue working on adding new stuff.

8. BabeltimeUS

Oct 28, 2016
    The third hero slot isn't actually unlocked until level 12, so you'd still only be able to equip 2 heroes until that point. We are going to make a change to unlocked that 3rd hero slot if a third hero is purchased and push that into the game very soon. The potions are definitely very helpful in beating a harder level, and can be obtained from the store, playing the endless levels, or from requesting them from Facebook friends. We tried to make the levels a bit puzzle like where certain tower combinations were more useful than others, but we may still need to go in and make adjustments. I'll give a hint on the ideal combination for this level in a spoiler tag below that you can look at if you're curious about it.

Thanks for all your great feedback so far, and keep it coming cause we wanna make this game great for all our players!

The most effective combination on level 10 is cannon towers with barrage and barracks.

9. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    This game rocks. Well done devs!! Will buy some iap to support you

10. BabeltimeUS

Oct 28, 2016
    Thank you! We really appreciate it! Glad you're enjoying the game!

11. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    I'll be throwing some money in as well. I do like how interactive you are on this forum. It's always nice when devs accept changes from positive and negative feedback. This also scratches the itch for a new Kingdom Rush-esque game since a new one is very far off.

12. BabeltimeUS

Oct 28, 2016
    Thank you! We wanna make the best game we can and a game that our players are going to love, so we enjoy reading the feedback positive or negative.

We're working on things for the next update based on a lot of the suggestions and feedback we're receiving. We're also working on some new improvements and additions to our heroes that we think will make them even more fun to play with. Let us know if you have any more feedback as you play the game and we'll keep you updated on future releases!

13. thesinmaster

thesinmaster Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    And the star rating goes halfway down after players hit the wall of the first boss ( rating was 5/5 yesterday eve - and no I havent rated yet )

F2P and not a fair one I presume

14. Unoriginal

Unoriginal Member

Sep 13, 2014
    #34 Unoriginal, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    Hi, just downloaded this on iPhone 6s

It checks for updates, says done and there is the opening screen(Legends on the top is sparkling so I guess it hasn't crashed) but there is nothing else. I tried tapping around and nothing happens

Edit: just had a look at the supported devices page and the 6s isn't there so I guess that explains it

15. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I must say I do like the shorter levels.

16. scape211

scape211 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    Been playing this game a bit and wanted to give a little feedback.

As a TD game, this is pretty solid. Controls are good, nice graphics and gameplay variety; feels much like Kingdom Rush which is totally fine to me (thats the gold standard). Overall, the game itself is strong.

The part that lacks for me is the freemium model or just overall structure. People will very likely compare this to KR as its quite similar. That game had a small pay gate (1.99 or 2.99 i believe), then had premium items you could buy after that. It was a great system as it allowed you to enjoy the game intended or add more for a few bucks.

This game is free which is nice, but has a strong paywall at the first boss. He is beatable, but hard and most casual players will get easily frustrated and likely quit. For those they keep pushing on if they are fans of the genre will be able to play through, but with very hard levels and little rewards. So with that said, here are some overall 'pain points' :

- Gem system is slow and tedious. First play through nets you a very small amount of gems and you have to pay 100 gems on endless levels for a chance at more? And realistically, the only way to beat those endless levels is with a ton of time into the game or putting money down. Essentially there is almost no way to slowly grind up to more heroes. Heroes are already expensive; 1500 at the low end and gems come in at about 25 or so per board clear. I think we should be allowed to play through previous boards continuously to gain gems. Keep the amount small (25 or less) so the grind is still there, but make it possible.

- Energy timer seems like an overkill in the current state. You already have gates to block us from continually running gems easily or just blasting through the game. However, if you take my suggestion above of letting us grind gems, i would be fine with the energy timer.

- Tower upgrades - this is more of an ease of use or intuitive thing, but upgrading towers abilities is cumbersome. As a fairly new player, you are only given images of what each tower ability does unless you click the '?' This is all well and good, but i had no idea to do that early on and it made me just pick upgrades and see what happened (and even then its not always obvious). Furthermore, its not easy to tell what further investments do to an ability. If i upgrade bombardment (i think thats what it is called) on the cannons did i just increase the damage? range? frequency of blasts? I think the '?' should update after you pick an ability to show its upgrade path

- Is there a way to see or know our hero stats and abilities? I assume hero level ups boost this, but i dont really see it anywhere and im curious which are better ones to invest time into.

Ultimately, i know you guys need to make money and deserve to so i hope there is a balance you can find. I do think you got a fun game here, but i believe in its current state people will try it in hopes for a similar KR experience and be disappointed. I know this is not the same game, but its an obvious comparison and in most cases, you guys measure up. I just want to see some model where the F2P and the P2P people can both enjoy the game. I hope this helps!

17. BabeltimeUS

Oct 28, 2016
    Hey there! Sorry to hear you are having a negative experience. It wasn't our intention to create the level so that it would be a wall. We are hoping to make challenging levels that players can beat, and if they are struggling use the potions provided to get over the hump. In level 10's case we are looking into it as we speak and adjusting the balance so that it doesn't feel unfair. We should be pushing in some adjustments very soon so look out for that.

18. BabeltimeUS

Oct 28, 2016
    Sorry to hear that. The game definitely should work on iPhone 6s. Our engineering team has been notified and are looking into it. In the meantime try force quitting the app and starting again. That may be able to fix it. We'll let you know if we figure out the issue you're experiencing.

19. BabeltimeUS

Oct 28, 2016
    Thank you for taking the time to provide such great and thoughtful feedback. I'll try to address your points and let you know some of the reasoning for our decisions and things we are thinking about to address some of the issues.

As far as gems go, we tried to be very generous with energy and consumable items given when beating a level so that the player would get a high value of gems from 3 starring a level. For instance, if you get 2 burn spells and 5 energy after a level you are getting 300 gems of value from that level along with the gem reward received. The endless level gives at least one consumable per play through, so we wanted to increase the cost after each session to make it a gamble to see if you can get your value back. We mainly wanted to create a time gate so that players don't burn through our content before we can provide them new stuff which is one of the decisions for no gem grinding, but we are getting feedback that a lot of our audience would prefer to just play the game without any of the time restrictions Kingdom Rush style.

We are trying to make some improvements to address some of these issues. The first thing we are trying to do is go through the levels that appear to be troublesome to a huge amount of players and making sure that they are not unfair. We assumed that players would use consumable potions to beat some of the levels that were a bit harder, but we are seeing that it's not always the case. We are also thinking of adjusting the level lives to 20, so that players can have an easier time at least getting through the levels even if it's with 1 star and continuing in the progression. For level 10 where the boss instantly kills you, we've identified some things that are causing some extra difficulty with the boss and are working to get those sorted out and updated in the game. We also want to add an IAP that allows players to remove the energy timer so that they can get through the progression without having to worry about the timer.

As far as the towers go, we wanted to go with a one click purchase interface which causes the issue with how we are going to show the information for the tower enhancements. We added the question mark for this case, but need to do a better job communicating it to players. We decided to not provide stats for towers and heroes because it is more of a hardcore player mechanic and we wanted to keep the game at more of a midcore casual feel where players don't have to look at any stats. For the towers, we wanted to focus more on the types of attacks they did and how they complemented each other so that players can form strategies off of that.

As far as the heroes go, we are currently working on revamping our hero camp and heroes themselves as far as their abilities go. This is a bit larger of a task so it's going to take a little longer, but we're hoping it improves the quality of the heroes and gives players more objectives to reach by grinding to level them.

Once again, thanks for all the awesome input and playing our game!

20. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Great feedback! I found a bug that the hero description text is too big for the text box. Lots of the longer descriptions get cut off. I thought it might be a scrolling box but the text didn't scroll so you might want to fix that!

Also you could add device notifications for gems - that might get more people to open your game more regularly and play.