Universal Really Bad Chess (by Zach Gage)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by stfj, Oct 13, 2016.

1. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    @paulkane - the idea with the weeklies is you can keep playing them to raise your score if you want to. I try to have something for everyone in my games. Brute force deconstructing a difficult board isn't my thing, but there are definitely people out there who are into it.

@vectorarchitekt - I'm glad you like it! sorry to ruin chess for you!

@Mag - no multiplayer at the moment although it is very possible in the future, especially same-device multiplayer

2. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Dude, you didn't ruin chess, you made it more fun! I agree with you about loving the idea of chess but the game itself was always stressful and not very fulfilling. The randomness of this game make me look forward to it #

3. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Don't Blame Me, I Voted For Really Bad Chess! (imaginary bumper sticker for the current political season and beyond)

4. bbegirl

bbegirl Member

Feb 7, 2012
    I love this! Got me back into chess as it takes me straight into problem solving with chess instead of the long setup. I'm all for preparation but sometimes you just want to get straight into it!

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Zach, I don't know if it's been asked, but have you thought about implementing an unlimited undo IAP? I know it could potentially ruin the game, but isn't it technically the same as what's already been implemented? :p

6. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    This came into my mind during the review, but I think there not being an unlimited undo IAP is a good idea. If you could undo every move, there isn't really any barrier between winning every game perfectly, and no necessity to learn and improve your chess skills. Yeah, you can always watch an ad to get more undos, or pay a dollar for some, which aren't massive barriers, but the fact that there is a slight cost/effort incurred is enough of a deterrent to try and not be dependent on undos imo

7. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    yes, this is exactly why I didn't put an unlimited undos purchase in.
    In the next version I moved the 'watch a video ad for undos' button to the main screen so you can stock up there instead of only being able to watch when you are fully out of undos, which should help a little bit. One of my friends had been complaining that he couldn't get more undos while he was on the subway.

I tried something similar to this in sage solitaire actually (when the game is unpurchased you have to watch a video ad to reset your vegas $), but if you had purchased the game you didn't have to. I felt like I was constrained at that point by having already sold a 'no ads full game unlock', but in retrospect I regret allowing people to just reset, and I'll definitely be exploring different ways to handle gambling in a game in the future. Sorry if the undos feel a bit annoying but... i guess they're supposed to :)

@vectorarchitekt - haha glad i did not ruin chess :)

8. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    Just wanted to drop a little note here that 1.1 is out, and includes a local versus mode so you can play your friends!

9. uberdan101

uberdan101 Member

Jun 29, 2016
    But what if you don't have any friends. #

10. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
  11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Why can I not take that pawn on my diagonal right?

I've surely missed something, just need to run it past the brains trust.

Attached Files:

12. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    Moving the pawn puts your king in check, because then there would be nothing blocking the way between the enemy queen and your king.

13. Ag3ntP3ndergast

Ag3ntP3ndergast Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2016
    #53 Ag3ntP3ndergast, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    Can anyone please tell me a full list of what you get with the full unlock for this game vs. what's in the free version? Thanks

*oops nvm I see it now in the app. My bad lol

14. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Ohhhhh got you. Wow. Ok, yeh, you can tell I'm amateur. Thanks for that.

15. Ag3ntP3ndergast

Ag3ntP3ndergast Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Hey guys.... I don't know how to post a screenshot or I would have, but I was just in a game where I should have put the computer in stalemate and neither of us should have won, but really bad chess declared a victory for me anyway. Has anyone else run into this problem?

16. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Really hated today's daily board. I lost to it twice. The board is Ranked 37, but the position of the black bishops in front and the white pawns pinning my queens in place really sucked. I couldn't figure out any decent opening strategy. I kind of wish we could replay the dailies and not have them count towards the leaderboards if you've lost twice.

17. paulkane

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    So, not sure if this is happening to other people, but I had Really Bad Chess crash twice on me today, forcing me to lose the ability to play today's daily. The first time it crashed mid-game and also crashed my entire iPad, which is crazy. The second time, it crashed at the very beginning of the game with no moves made, crashing the app only. I know this has happened to me once before, while playing the daily. I'm on an iPad 3 with iOS 9.3.2.

18. paulkane

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    Playing the daily this morning when the next move from the computer was my own white bishop killing my king?!? That's a crazy bug on so many levels. Wish I could attach the screen shot of my killed king. Really bad chess, indeed!

19. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I've been playing the Ranked mode a lot and haven't run into any problems, so it might be a Daily mode issue. That instance of the AI moving your own piece to kill your king is crazy.

20. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    This is probably obvious, but anyone know the difference between Longest Daily Win Streak and Longest Daily Pro Streak for the GC leaderboards? Thought the Pro might mean no undos used but wasn't sure. Thanks in advance for any info or advice.