Universal Really Bad Chess (by Zach Gage)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by stfj, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Peterplodocus

Peterplodocus Active Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Loving it so far! It's fun but it's a real challenge! Unlike normal chess it escalates really quickly with pieces being taken almost straight away - I'm finding the AI quite aggressive!
    Or maybe I'm just really bad at Really Bad Chess! :)
    Enjoying the different modes and I like the really clean and simple design. I've purchased the full unlock to support this great game!

2. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    @thumbs07 - Thanks so much! Im really glad you're enjoying it! and the name :)

@J.R. Jalapeno - I couldn't plan ahead either, although playing a lot of really bad chess has taught me a few ways to kind of read the tension in the board state instead of working out all the individual moves. I'm not great, but it's a start!

@Peterplodocus - Thanks so much for the support! So glad you're enjoying it!

3. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    I think the ability to play against humans is what this really needs. But other than that, it's great.

4. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Great to see all the positive coverage this game is getting!

5. Pantsjo

Pantsjo Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Netherlands
    Nice game. It has got me playing chess again.
    Question though: i got stalemated by AI and it counted as a defeat. Is that intentional or a bug?

6. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    This game I would recommend to new chess players over proper chess! Its got me knowing why pure attack is bad, and why development of my units is better. And, the art of checkmating, you got more variety, and focus entirely, and exclusively how you will do that.

7. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Whoa. Whoa! I've been offline all week and didn't realize this was released. Zach Gage's games are all gems, elegant and interesting and fun to play. Can't wait to dig into this over the weekend. Rock.

8. kwokx@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    brilliant game! I had to stop playing bcos my wife was getting pissed off, and I'm someone who thinks 99% of games are crap.

9. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    I'm awful at chess but this one is really fun. Bought the Iap to support the dev. Sage solitaire is one of my favorite games. Congrats on the 5 star review from TA also!

10. Cyl

Cyl Active Member

Nov 15, 2013
    France
    #30 Cyl, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    Great game. It's giving me interest in chess again :)

@stfj - A bug you should correct : there is no ads banner on my iPhone 6s+ running ios 10.
    Your game widely deserve the 3€

11. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Neat little game. Like the clear presentation and early hand-holding. But for now - after a few minutes of playing - I think that Chesh is the way more creative and entertaining take on chess. But I will keep playing for sure.

12. Redzik

Redzik New Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Poland
    Game is ok, something different than classic chess, opening etc. But I think AI I mean CPU is very simple, to compare my level, I play Fritz. I did few mistake and CPU did not take piece, and CPU doing mistakes. Overall game is good, but for me I wanna change level of opponent, cause I see from rank it does not change level but only chessboard.

13. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    @pantsjo - There are no draws in Really Bad Chess. In testing I found a lot of new players getting really confused about draws because the rules surrounding them are very counter-intuitive. That means there are a bunch of situations where you end up just needing to surrender. The flip side is if you get the enemy king in a cant-move-but-not-in-check stalemate it counts as a win for you.

@guise - thanks so much man! I'm hope you like this one too

@kwokx - glad i could win you over!

@turakm - thanks so much!

@cyl - Hm! Do you still have no ads? sometimes there just isn't one to show (fill-rate issue), also in the first few games I don't show any ads intentionally

@redzik - Ah sorry you don't find the AI smart enough. Perhaps give the daily and weekly a shot? On those if you're going for a high leaderboard rank things are very challenging. I was somewhat limited in what I could do with the AI. Because of the random nature of the game, I had to use an older brute-force style AI, and making it smarter means its turns would take forever. A lot of the new fancy chess AI technology actually relies on the board being the standard chess board.

14. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Since this game is already unconventional chess, I think it would be amazing if we had randomized pieces with 4 way chess.

15. Cyl

Cyl Active Member

Nov 15, 2013
    France
    #35 Cyl, Oct 16, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    @stfj - I still have no ads... because I bought the full game ;)
    Before that I played about 10 games, only 2 had ads. I've dowloaded the game on my wife iPhone 6s and my father new iPad and they got ads every game.

Maybe it is just me, sorry if I confused you with my post.

I must leave, I have a daily board to solve :)

16. marcus0

marcus0 New Member

Apr 7, 2016
    I love Really Good Chess :)D) and purchased the IAP within the first 10 minutes of trying the game . As with all other Zach Gage games, the attention to detail is amazing. The AI is perfectly fine for me, but then I'm not good at chess!

Really hope Apple rectify their mistake of not featuring the App on the front page of the App Store, as it truly deserves to be played by as many people as possible.

17. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I love Chesh as well, but as the developer pointed out in that game's forum, Chesh really needs to be played by two people (in online multiplayer) for best results. Playing against the AI is not how the game was designed to be enjoyed. I think Really Bad Chess solves this issue with the ranking system and the Daily/Weekly modes, which sort of act as the game's multiplayer components. Both games are great, in my opinion.

18. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    I need to check Chesh out. I played a few games of RBC today and enjoyed it. I have to pace myself though. I have to study the board quite a bit at the beginning. Double bishops at the start of the game are tough to fend off! I don't like it. It's usually Blitzkrieg mayhem(as someone noted earlier)/take or be taken at the beginning which can be fun but also tricky. I'm rated 56, but not liking the look of my next game. Oh yeah, I did play today's game but bombed it. I made up for it with the weekly game. Are you suppose to keep replaying the weekly game if you want to boost yourself in the leaderboards?

19. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I liked the concept of Chesh but it was just too obscure and strange to really grab me long term.
    This game is just perfect. I don't even want to play regular chess anymore, and I loved the "Tall Chess" app.

20. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Does this game have multiplayer?