Real Time Data on my facebook advertising of 2048v2

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by 1stSPIN, Dec 4, 2014.

1. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    I want to post some real time data for a toe test ad campaign on facebook mobile. I have been looking for the place to buy these ads. Could someone provide a link if they know where it is.

I hope the information from the toe test will be helpful to those of you who are considering advertising on facebook

2. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Does anyone have the facebook link to buy advertising? Thank you for your help. :)

3. Xammond

Xammond Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    I actually like the sound of advertising there. My children and their friends all think it is important, while I'm more of a Twitter person.

Did you try the obvious facebook.com/advertising or is there something else which we should be looking for?

4. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I have always thought about tweetinto for advertising. It seems a low cost way of getting your app in front of loads of eyes. Likewise youtube advertising. Both of those to me would be the ways I would advertise if I was going too.

5. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Thanks for the info.
    I want to get as many toe test ads in as possible to determine how much of an investment is need to get that critical mass I have been referring to. I originally put that number at 15,000 to 25,000 but one of my people came back to me with 500,000 downloads are need to make a game go viral.

If I use the google numbers that would mean an investment of $1,000,000 to $1,500,000 would be need. You may say that is a large investment for one game but that is not my end goal. I want to create a company that will cooperate with other developers and use that critical mass to promote other games. The details of such a cooperation is only in draft form. First I have to solve the problem of critical mass.

I would like as many opinions for developers as to what they feel the critical mass number is to make a game get noticed and go viral.

Which game/s will use those funds will be resolved later

6. Xammond

Xammond Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    #6 Xammond, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    ----

7. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    I think 5K downloads is enough to know if you should be putting more advertising into to try and get to that 100K's downloads.

It seems to me 15K would be enough to go viral but enough to know player habits and if it is worth putting the money into it.

8. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    I original thought $20,000 for the first month then $10,000 for the next 3 months. If the game/s go viral within that period to maintain a monthly advertising budget. But my co designer does not feel 10,000 players is enough to have a game go viral that the number should be around 500,000.

Still working on getting the facebook test running then put a plan together.

9. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    UpComing Campaign

I don't think there is a set figure you can pay to ensure the game will go viral, it depends on a lot of factors like game play, design, and sharability.

Typically to get the best chance of success you just need to get into the top 100 in at least 1 or more of the leading countries, USA, UK, Germany, or Canada. If you can do that, it will follow suit in the other countries.

A 50k budget is a decent spend. Spent right it can get you the best result across social, banner campiagns and review sites.

We have a large game launch in feb/March so I'll make sure to post my ROI results from Facebook and Twitter here which might help.

10. Alda Games

Alda Games Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Brno, Czech Republic
    Well, it seems that this service is no longer available:
    "The service is unfortunately no longer available.
    Twitter revoked our access as they say it is a potential competitive ad model - sorry folks!"

11. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Where did you see that?

The website doesn't say it anywhere and still appears to be live. They had a lot of funding!

12. Alda Games

Alda Games Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Brno, Czech Republic
    @Destined Just try to login using your Twitter. The message will appear after that.

13. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Trying to advertise on Google but ran into an error message. Once I resolve it I will post the day to day results.

Put up a few more ads on Google. Found that Saturday is a good day to advertise but don't use that as a rule of thumb. There is not enough advertising to verify that.

Doing some android advertising. Targeting Samsung note and gallaxy users in Japan, Korea, etc

It might be possible with a bit of luck to get critical mass with 10,000 serious downloads.

14. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    To date the game play for 2048v2 is consistent with the limited amount of advertising. I would like to run a test with a budget from $25 to $250 a day for 30 days and see the results of consistent advertising.

Interesting the game produced as much money in China from 10cents as it did from Google without any advertising. Maybe we will run a few ads in China with 10cents.

15. gatchaman73

gatchaman73 Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oh So Shiny - founder : chief pixel officer
    Texas
    Is it worth using google for advertising? I've looked into facebook and chartboost as well. Anyone have experience with chartboost?

16. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    So far I have not experience any reason why I should not use google advertising. I was set to place an ad with facebook but I got an error message and I've been too busy to resolve that. I would like to try iAds if Apple offers that. The iPhone, iPad, iTouch market is easier to focus on. With Android I will like to select the phone model I target and there are so many. I've only targeted Samsung Note and Galaxy so far.

17. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    what is 10cents?

18. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Tencents is the equivalent to Google Admob. They push ads onto the Chinese games. There are a number of ap stores but the main ad source is Tencents. :)

19. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    ahhh thanks

20. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    What is the goal of your advertising on Facebook?

Usually you want to achieve either:
    1, Burst campaign - then one month is too long for this. You just want as much downloads as quickly as possible, ideally combined with other traffic sources besides Facebook. Don't spend money on this if you're not sure about your ROI, retention and working viral mechanics.

2, ROI campaign. You don't need to be high in the charts if you're able to buy users continuously with getting the money back into your pocket. You need to know your LTV, run a few tests on various networks and then keep scaling those campaigns that work.

However, your attitude towards performance marketing campaigns seems unclear. Set your goals first, then spend money.