Real Racing - which control method?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by farley, Jun 26, 2009.

?

Which control method do you prefer?

1. Method A

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  2. Method B

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Method C

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Method D

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. farley

farley Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    #1 farley, Jun 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
    First off, yeah yeah, I know there's already another "official" thread all about Real Racing, but I wanted to keep this thread discussion about one specific aspect of the game, and not have a generalised discussion about the game as a whole. So keep the flaming and the "wrong forum" comments out of here! ;)

OK, so I just took the plunge and bought Real Racing, and yeah, I'm pretty impressed. I've only just had a quick couple of races on it, and I'm still trying to get a feel for the controls, and with quite a selection of controls to choose from, I'm also still trying to decide which control method I like best.

So, I was just wondering what other Real Racer players here thought about the controls... Which one do you like best? Which ones don't you like? And why?

As a reminder, here are the controls:

Method A
    Accelerometer steering
    Auto accelerate
    Manual brake

Method B
    Accelerometer steering
    Manual accelerate
    Manual brake

Method C
    Touch to steer (sides of screen)
    Auto accelerate
    Manual brake

Method D
    Touch to steer (steering wheel)
    Auto accelerate
    Manual brake

Also, what are your opinions on the Brake Assist? At what point have you got it set? 0? 100? 50?

For the record, so far I'm liking method C. I prefer touch-controls to accelerometer controls, the reason being so that I don't have to use my entire upper-body to play the game and can instead move by the merest twitch of my thumb! I also really really really don't like the awkwardness of the steering wheel in method D. I end up swerving all over the place like I'm in a dodgem car at the fairground!

I'm also preferring to have Brake Assist ramped up quite a bit. I may slide it down after having driven some more.

2. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Brake assist is for panzies. Control method B, is the only real way to play. I honestly was of the immpression that the only racing games viable on the platform were the watered down NFS experience with auto accelerate. I really didn't think a full on racing game would be fun. I was dead wrong.

3. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    B and D, but B is a lot better.

4. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I use A with no brake assist. The main reason I don't use another method is because I am too lazy to try out anything but the default haha. Anyone who uses brake assist can't win.

Btw: does anyone find that controlling the car in third person feels totally different. I just can't keep the car on the road in third person view.

5. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    #5 le'deuche123, Jun 26, 2009
    yep, it moves as gracefully as a rock. I don't even mess with it. The cockpit views too damn awesome anyway.

6. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    All racing games, I can't keep anything on a track unles it's in 1st person! :D

I'm a B, there's a good case for A but it just doesn't work for me... probably mroe suitable for arcade style racers.

7. farley

farley Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    #7 farley, Jun 26, 2009
    Complete opposite scenario for me. I can't control the car properly in 1st-person view.
    I don't just like to see the road in front of me - I prefer to see where my car is on that road too. :)
    (It also helps you see better where the other cars are as well, IMO.)

8. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    yea it does feel really strange, I've tried a lap in 3rd person and I just couldnt do it. I love the 1st person view.

9. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Manual acceleration is a must for me in this game. It gives you much more control. Also, turning brake assist off helps a ton.

What view I use depends on what track I'm on. Usually, first person works best for me, but, on some tracks, I do much better with third person. I tend to over steer with third person, but it seems to help on very twisty tracks.

10. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Control Method B. After playing GRiD, which really stresses easing on the throttle and using the break, I can't stand driving with assists. I need the realism. NFS was ok because the tracks aren't winding enough to use braking, but with Real Racing, it's definitely necessary, and it's more fun, too, weaving, braking, slingshoting, lotsa fun :p

And yeah, while in nearly every racing game I've played third person, GRiD, Trackmania, Forza, NFS, Fastlane, I can't with this game. The car feels like it's 5 feet forward from where it should be. First person's the only way to go.