Real Racing 3

Discussion in 'Android Games' started by fury, Mar 12, 2013.

1. fury

fury Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 2, 2009
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ea.games.r3_na

Anybody have any recommendations on the best way to get through the game without paying a penny?

This is a game I have been waiting a long time for - was/am a big fan of the first 2 Real Racing games. I refuse to give into this business model, though. I'd rather they start throwing ads at me instead of nickeling and diming me to skip waiting to advance in the game. I paid them twice for Real Racing (once for iPhone, once for iPad). I paid them three times for Real Racing 2 (once for the Mac). Not going to pay them every time I play. It saddens me when I look at all of the 5 star reviews. The app grabs your attention right off the bat with the pretty graphics and fun game types, and then nags you for a review before you ever manage to run into the repair/upgrade/new car wait times, so it seems kind of deceptive.

Since I have it on so many frackin devices, I haven't really been too affected by the wait times (put down one device, pick up another), although the very idea of them being there is enough to drive me bonkers. It's such a beautiful game paired with such an irritating revenue model.

Have it on the Galaxy Note 2, Nexus 7, and Transformer Pad Infinity (along with my fleet of iOS devices)

Is it just me or does it run in suck mode on Nexus 7? No rear view mirrors, low poly count, fewer effects, etc. EA seems to have this problem on NFS too.

On the Infinity, the graphics are kinda messed up to the point where it's unplayable. I'm guessing they forgot to test the game with that one.

2. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Patience, mostly. Seriously, I've put about 6 hours in and paid nothing. Get 3 cars asap so you can race at least one whilst you service the others. Perhaps, much further into the game some of the top cars will be a huge grind, but for now I'm doing just fine.

3. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    just as an aside... RR3 is technically outstanding, I think we all agree, however, I've not played in a week and I don't see myself going back to it anytime soon. The iap model has made the whole things feel like a grind, I mean the racing just isn't fun imo. What probably saves it for lots of people is having their mates times to beat etc, but I don't facebook and of course there's no Gamecentre for us on Android, so I'm left with randoms in game.

4. fury

fury Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 2, 2009
    It is the very model of a modern game.

Outstanding graphics in its class, considering we're still talking about mobile, here--nobody's going to take the time and effort to make something truly console-class unless they're going to get console-class profit out of it.

Hours and hours of content. Days and days of waiting. Basic grind fest.

Social pressure - get extra winnings for going back to previous tracks to beat your friends. They get notified of said beatings and feel the urge to come back to play and reclaim their title.

Realism - actual car damage that actually slows you down.

I don't know of anything here that the people didn't ask for, directly or indirectly - from the real, persistent car damage which I saw so many people ask Firemint for in their forums, to the pay wall that the people deserve for forcing the race to the bottom of the price bin. Enough people didn't want to pay them the $10-$20 up front that now everybody gets to suffer through the freemium model.

I do not envy their position, as there is no way to win in this day and age of "pfft, should have been free". It's a damned if you do damned if you don't world out there. I made a couple of games, they were neither premium nor freemium and I still got put through hell for it.

It sure would be nice if it were more optimized for the Nexus 7. I downloaded the RR3 graphics app from the Play store to force it to ultra high graphics, and oh boy did the frame rate take a tumble...I wonder what the deal is with their games on Nexus 7, as this happened to Need For Speed Most Wanted, too.

5. sicksilvo

sicksilvo Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Real Racing 3 Porsche Update for Google Play

Info: