Real Racing 3 - By Firemonkeys - Coming Feb 2013

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by killercow, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whiteplayer3d

Whiteplayer3d Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Please, what devices are supported?

2. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Wow, this looks really awesome! No surprise! Can't wait for this!

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    +1 to that mate... RR series is the only staple racing game on my idevices. Oh.. and CSR Racing too, but this one isnt exactly a racing game but more of a reaction type game, like a runner :D

4. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I'd rather an arcadey racer, complete with changing weather and other features that were originally planned for Real Racing 1.

5. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Yea, that would be cool, but I was talking about a side project. :).

6. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    How about Reckless Racing 2? Now that Pixelbite has fixed the control sensitivity issues it's a staple for me.

7. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
  8. Mhunt190

Mhunt190 Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    USA
    Will it still look console quality on the iPhone 4s

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I doubt there will be any noticeable differences, honestly. Maybe some enhanced textures or a few new effects.

10. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

iPhone 5 Screenshot:

[​IMG]

11. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #71 Rip73, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
    It looks freaking awesome.
    The time shift multiplayer is astounding achievement on an iPhone.
    Actual real rear view mirrors that actually work. Real time reflections.
    This will be the game of the year.

12. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Going by graphics alone, I'd say Forgotten Memories (if it releases this year) will be a contender ;)

For overal technical achievement I'd have to hand it to Ravensword 2 from what I've seen. Open world with realtime shadows and smooth framerate on a5 devices? Wow.

13. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Who needs a PS Vita, eh? I'm don't know about everyone else, but now I'm glad I didn't buy one (after some serious consideration).

14. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    I did by one. The Vita is Seriously lacking anything resembling a good racing game! Maybe need for speed and wrc3 will fix that, but I would have to say this looks like a contender for racing game of the year on any platform. Looks like an iPod upgrade is on the way if my wallet allows.

15. Johno

Johno Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    #75 Johno, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2012
    Well, I was excited for this until I watched that bit of gameplay. They took the last turn on Laguna Seca at nearly 70 mph, nearly double the speed it's actually taken at. It's nowhere near realistic in terms of physics it seems, which is quite unfortunate. Those graphics are spectacular though.

16. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #76 Rip73, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    Amm, it's a game.?.?
    The second last corner in the video if you slow it down was taken at about 54-57 which is still faster than a guide track will say it can be done at (http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Turn_by_turn_guide_to_the_Laguna_Seca_track), but it's still a game, not the real car.
    I'd imagine simulating real world physics and handling characteristics of individual cars won't always relate to a 100% accurate interpretation by the game engine of the actual speed an actual real world car would be doing in one particular bend on one particular race track.
    Also the game is not finished yet so it's quite possible that they will turn it down to the actual 35-40mph the bend can allegedly be taken at. Or maybe they won't. Dunno. Either way the game looks mighty impressive and will play mighty impressive too I'd imagine.
    Maybe a Porsche 911 GT3 can take the bend at 54mph? It is a very impressive car.
    Looks pretty fast in this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWRJtMgo4Bk

17. Johno

Johno Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I strictly play racing sims, and those are video games as well. The whole "it's a video game" argument doesn't mean anything. Take the same car on Laguna Seca in Forza 4 and I guarantee it won't look anything like that lap. And I'm not saying it should, but I was just hoping for more of a sim experience rather than the typical arcade racer.

18. Firemonkeys Sam

Firemonkeys Sam Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Community Manager
    Melbourne, Australia
    Give it a try when we've finished development ;)

19. Johno

Johno Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    You have me excited again, can't wait to see how it turns out.

20. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #80 Rip73, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    The whole video game thing is not an argument. It's simply a fact.
    They are a representation on screen of real life scenarios if they are simulators. But they are still just a representation. They will not duplicate all aspects of certain scenarios identically as they would occur in real life.
    Hence, when I say it's a video game, that is still a fact in that it is not the real world. A simulator is still just that, a simulation.

I don't see anything that will allow say that this is arcade like either. It's simply too early to make that kind of judgement from the limited footage seen of it so far. But based on RR2, it will be a top quality sim.

Plus Forza 4 had a marketing budget alone of 15 to 20 million dollars plus, so god only knows what the development costs were. I'd imagine they could afford to throw a 911 around Laguna Seca to record the speeds at that level of spending.
    And when I say throw, I mean they probably could of afforded to make an Iron Man, hire him, get him to pick up a Porsche in his hands and fling it across Laguna Seca considering some of the stories of the alleged budget for that game.
    Hmmm, funnily enough that image is gonna stay with me for a while.

I'm not saying someone is right (me) and someone is wrong (you). (only kidding with that last one) It just seems to me as though it would be very difficult to 100% accurately interpret telemetry data and tell a game engine to translate that data to a speed representation on a simulator without any actual direct raw data to work with. Especially on an iPhone.

Even formula 1 teams don't always get the simulation right and end up in different scenarios when they are at the actual track.