Universal Real Racing 3 by Electronic Arts

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by matthew-13, Feb 13, 2013.

1. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I miss my GT 3 that was the best racing game on ps2 GT 4 was just to much

2. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I was expecting "Pay 10 coins to get the coins you bought sooner"

For those who don't have the game, this is probably the part of the game you'll be "playing" the most:

[​IMG]

3. seo25

seo25 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    You have really changed my opinion of IAP. IAP is really the curse we made on ourselves. When we complained about $10, or even $5 apps before freemium, they needed to make both the consumers happy (by removing 'outrageous' prices) and to keep the company afloat so they can be rewarded for their effort And IAP really is the great compromise.

There are apps out there that make freemium look like a joke - like how there were $10-20 apps that were complete rip offs (I even remember a $100 game that was a scam)

I believe that they way firemonkey has used the free model is creative, and I can't wait to sink my teeth into it. I can see they put immense effort in it regardless of whether ts freemium or not.

4. stooney

stooney Well-Known Member

Meh

Since I magically became a New Zealander today, I just finished the first couple of Races.

To my own surprise, I am not that impressed with the game.
    Yeah, it looks good and everything, but nowhere near as good as on the screenshots, at least not on iPad3?

Also I started to hate the Freemium model right away when I already had to make the choice to wait or "pay" for my very first crappy car.

Sadly, I did not find an option to get rid of the timers alltogether by IAP at reasonable cost?
    Just the usual purchase of Premium Currency, up to quite outrageous cost for the biggest packs.

After all the hype, at the moment it's just "Meh" for me.
    Will play more later, maybe it will get me hooked then ...

5. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
  6. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Here's a pic from my iPad4

Lol this is the screen I've seen the most :)

Attached Files:

7. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Or seriously here a another pic

Attached Files:

8. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Great, we can see how much has changed in 2 generations:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So yeah, there's the proof: Real Racing never had real realtime shadows on 4th gen or older devices!

I do find it kind of funny though how a ton of stuff is missing in the background on the 4th gen iPod.

9. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seems like you really need an iPhone 5 or iPad 4 to really benefit from the graphics. The iPad 3 has always been really underpowered for its screen res, so it's no surprise to see people making a fuss about it on that particular device.

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    There's no ad on yours! What gives?

11. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Hey Eli, any chance you can post a Canadian App Store RR3 link? I'm not having any luck finding it here.:confused:

12. matthew-13

matthew-13 Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Ipad 2 and it is pretty good!

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

It'll probably be available around the same time you typically get the normal releases in Canada... Which is what, like 12 hours from now?

14. simplymuzik3

Aug 12, 2009
    It just came out in NZ so it probably won't be available in Canada until this evening (I'm also in Canada).

15. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I understand your point of view and agree with it. I'm a little less rubbed by Real Racing 3 since I'll be playing only in short, long separated sessions anyway so from a player like myself, this is actually a discounted price.

We've witnessed revolutions in gaming before, the hobby will still be around and a new model will come (for better or worse). Just have to wait it out.

16. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    I just wanna know how much money I need to spend to get trough the whole game, no waiting times and so on. Getting an enjoyable experience, not a frustration filled one. Would 15 bucks be enough? 10? 20? Firemint?

17. matthew-13

Feb 12, 2013
    I realized something. So QUICK RACE. Why? We have to follow their flow. Dammit!

18. simplymuzik3

Aug 12, 2009
    Good luck with that. There's *always* somewhere you can spend real money to speed stuff up. There's no end to it.

19. matthew-13

Feb 12, 2013
    For the whole game? Well, if we extrapolate the data we have and spread it to over 600 races, then you're looking at something in the range of $500. To skip every single wait time. No kidding!!!