Universal Real Racing 3 by Electronic Arts

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by matthew-13, Feb 13, 2013.

1. iANiMeX

iANiMeX Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    #61 iANiMeX, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
    Not sure if it's just me but I cannot seems to find the game in the NZ App Store. I even tried the link on the first page and nothing.

UPDATE: Nevermind, found it. :)

2. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Couldn't they have 2 versions of the game - a free version and premium version for those who want it? Or at least an IAP of however much to get rid of all timers?

3. Deixa

Deixa Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Is it possible to fast forward your iPhone time so it confuses the game waiting time?

4. Richy23

Richy23 Member

Jul 12, 2010
    ?

As a UK dude, is there any work around to download from the NZ store?

5. matthew-13

matthew-13 Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    ---WARNING THE TRUTH LIES AHEAD:---

Remember TA and a whole bunch of publications saying that the timer problem will just about disappear once you get a couple of cars in the garage? They were wrong!

This is because each "championship" has got a set number of cars (around 3 to 4). And your cars RARELY carry forward. There are 26 such championships. So each time you enter a championship, you will need to buy a new car. And face the timers alone until you get a second car. And there is no point going back to the first car cause it'll just perform poorly.

The cars only start repeating LATER ON in the game. And even then rarely.

PSA from matthew-13

6. ssahnan

ssahnan Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Is there profile/progress syncing in between devices?

7. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Few races in and oh my, the racing is REALLY GOOD, no longer does a car shoot off the track when it looses grip like in real racing 2, you get more control in slides now.

Visually on my iphone 5 it's great, there is obvious analyzing around things and the game is 30fps but the cars look amazing and are rather high poly.

Use a new email to make a NZ account, google will help.

8. Fazana

Fazana Member

May 11, 2012
    To the person asking about IAP for currency and repair times etc, as such you only buy a single IAP currency but you use that for repair timers as well as other bits and bobs.

I just clicked on all the service options after 8 races or so and I have 6 hours of repair time ahead of me, I could remove that for 14 IAP currency units. You get 20 to start with and 5 per driver level up it seems.

I also had an option to watch a video for 8 gold coins but it didn't work, I watched the lynx advert but no coins appeared...

The racing itself is pretty damn good but the initial start is crazy slow paced, it will be better when you can hop from car to car so the repairs etc don't restrict you but to start off like this is a very brave/crazy business decision from EA. It made me wait two minutes to buy the very first car for the first proper race, that was a hell of a first impression.

9. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Undoubtedly, though I still wonder about how wise this business model is. Sure it will move more units than any GT game on playstation, it's going to feature on the AppStore's front page so it's a given.

So the massive casual market are going to download it in droves, how many delete it as soon as they discover its not an arcade game? While we are all complaining here about the IAP you wait for the AppStore reviews complaining about the difficulty "omg it's too hard, the cars don't steer right delete delete delete"

So now the only people playing are probably the original market, many of whom will be older and more resistant to IAP. And I don't mean on a purely ideological basis either, how many of us old gamers with plenty of money to spend will have no problem with the timers? I have plenty of money for apps but hardly any spare time, what is a timer to me? I will only ever play one or two races at a time before work, kids, the pub or Top Gear demand my time.

I would have spent whatever the asking price was for this, now I get it for free and will not need to buy any IAP. I worry for the future of the series but at the same time I get a free game that seems tailor made to fit into a busy lifestyle, so I'm laughing really.

10. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

#70 Der-Kleine, Feb 13, 2013
    30 minutes of waiting = ~5 gold coins.
    10 gold coins = 2$ (US$)

YOU CAN NOW BUY AN HOUR FOR ONLY 2$! HOLY SHIT! GET THIS DEAL NOW!

11. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Not seeing it in the Canadian app store like the front page says, can any one of my fellow Canadian TA'ers give me a working link?

12. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I agree, and I don't even much like racing games, but I'm going to pick it up because it's free and my son, who's still too young to really do well at these games but does like racing games, won't be costing me a dime to putz around with it. And then, because it's free, I'll give it a try and see if I have any fun with it or not. If I don't like it, it's a free toy for my son. If I do like it, hey, cool, I will have found a racing game I actually do like to spend some time with...

But since I'm not some retrograde emission spawn who can't understand that we wouldn't even have video gaming if any significant percentage of the population thought like these so-called gamers think, I might even buy some IAP because, cripes, it's what you spend on a coffee or a six pack of beer, hardly something worth getting this worked up over and lasts a lot longer. Most importantly, if I do, I will get a warm fuzzy feeling about the epic butthurt throwing some money at soulless developers and evil publishers will give the retrograde emission spawn out there, and that's priceless ;)

Snark aside, this is the reality for big developers who have to deal with people who think everything should be free/ridiculously cheap/and give a full enough experience even if you never throw a dime at developers. There's just not enough people out there in the mobile space who will "risk" $10-$20 on an up front purchase for a game like this to justify any other sales model.

13. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    So I'm going to do something amazing and ask something about the game not the pricing model. Have they fixed the drifting in this game? Second one would slow you down considerably while drifting, hopefully no longer does that. As for the physics, do you crash realistically in a wall now?

14. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Drifting is much better now, you can also feel the rear of the car flying out if you brake while turning in a FWD vehicle, so far so good.

15. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    The physics is accurate because drifting does actually slow you down in real life.
    It does replicate that here. Its part of the real element.

As for crashing, I think that's probably best avoided. But the physics is much improved. Haven't tried a wall, not too keen to test that for a while yet.

16. ssahnan

ssahnan Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Does it sync progress between iOS devices?

17. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Ah, damn I'm brainwashed by all the arcade racers that made me think drifting is the best way to take corners, thanks guys! Back to your pricing discussion.

18. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Wow. Typical, the one time I'm without my iPad for a day, this game releases......

True that. This isn't most wanted.

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #79 MidianGTX, Feb 13, 2013
    My biggest gripe gameplay-wise it the AI that has absolutely no idea you exist. It just screams "IT'S JUST A GAME!" at you on every single corner.

This is what bugs me, forgiving flaws because of the platform. When it's done in reviews it skews the result. People play games on other platforms as well, so it'd be ideal to hear how the game fares compared to games in general, not that it's amazing to see it on a phone. By all means, call it a technical achievement, but look at the bigger picture too.

My issue isn't that it'll be the most popular, it's that it'll be most popular but only a ridiculously small percentage of people will think it's the best. It's where the whole system goes wrong. The money speaks volumes, but is incorrect. Developers listen to the money and not the players, games keep going off on this awful tangent.

20. Deixa

Deixa Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Is it possible to fast forward your iPhone time so it confuses the game waiting time?