Universal Real Racing 3 by Electronic Arts

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by matthew-13, Feb 13, 2013.

1. jack000

jack000 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2009
    i have a NZ account AND a CANADIAN account and i dont find them in both stores!!

2. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Knowing Eli, probably both. ;)

That was my reaction at first, but when you think about it, all he's doing is stating a fact. A fact that is probably going to drive me away from gaming on iOS - pun intended.

3. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    yes for sure, but you can't deny the fact that the timers need a lot of tweaking and iap prizes are wayyyy to high!

4. Dekon

Dekon Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Belgium
    On the download part OK but if the game is asking me to buy something to be able to progress in the game i will throw it off my iPhone before you can count to 3.

5. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    So far, on the impressions from people having it, and some review info, I'm not impressed with the free to play route. I'd rather have paid for the game up front and have access to play it on my time, and not their time. :(

6. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#46 Sanuku, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  7. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Does anyone else find it kind of annoying that they are still using exactly the same drifting sounds and some of the other sound effects from real racing 1?

8. PedroCst

PedroCst Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Portugal
    Yeah. And, while you're waiting, why don't you buy Minigore 2 or one of those great paid games and go play?

Yeah. It will be popular, and there will always be people complaining about the experience, because you only want your shitty money.
    Do I really need to throw in some Steve Jobs quotes? I think he did some small things throughout his life.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Again, this is a reaction to what the market will pay for. No one wants to even spend 99¢ for a video game anymore, and you can't produce a game with a multi-year multi-million dollar budget hoping that this will change. The reality of the situation is, free to play is what is now allowing games like Real Racing 3 to be a reality. So, I suppose the question is, would you prefer Real Racing 3 be a free to play game or not exist at all?

It seems remarkably hypocritical, as many of the people who seem to be the most upset about this move are the most prolific "I'll wait for a sale" members of our community. We've all made this bed, now we're sleeping in it.

10. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Better get that lisp checked out!

11. PedroCst

PedroCst Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Portugal
    No, wait a second... do you know what I really like?

It's that, in the real world, you have two currencies: the "free" and the one paid with this strange thing called "dollars". It really matches a real-life experience, having two different currencies :D

12. F34R

F34R Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Nah, they could have done this without the "mandatory" IAP and charged 4.99 for the game and it would do just fine.

13. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Oh undoubtedly, for the longest time it has been clear that the race to the bottom would hit home when it happens to a big, beloved brand. And that time is now. The only thing we can do is support people who are truly deserving, and deliver a message to the people who feel f2p is the future of the industry that this is unacceptable.

14. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Game is out early in NZ? :O

Much as I rage against freemium I am willing to give the game a good try, I love the first two titles and from videos so far this looks to be just as good in the racing department.

15. Nemer

Nemer Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    College/Part job
    Far far away
    Is there any other IAP besides currency? Like reducing repair timer or something like that?

16. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    ?

So is it actually coming out in the US tonight? Or is it still the 28th or whatever?

17. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #57 Rip73, Feb 13, 2013
    As much as I rarely agree with Eli, the fact is everything in this post is true.

F2P is now what iOS gaming is going to be in order to get big content and development games out there.

Its a shame really as timers and a lot of freemium associated stuff is particularly annoying but enough people simply wouldn't pay premium price tags in order to develop or sustain a high content game.

And as much as people are going to continue to rage on about it here and other public media, the fact is the unvocal majority will go and download a game and weirdly pay iap.
    Why they are happy to pay the iap and not the upfront price, I dunno.

Probably partially because they didn't have to pay to see it in the first place so no risk involved but once they have time invested it leads to money invested because they want to complete or simply play more.

It is what it is now though. Developers responded to the market payment patterns, they had no real choice in the matter.

If people had just continued to buy games at the $9.99 (ballpark number) a lot of stuff was at when the App Store arrived, but they didn't, they waited for sales, price drops, free weekends and then this is what happens. If people had even bought some iap on the cheaper games, rather than rage against it all the time no matter what, we might have avoided this.

Anyway, what's done is done. Its time to adapt to the new system.

Its funny how it took a well beloved franchise to switch to the pricing model just to show people the difficulty of profile and profit in the App Store.

18. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    28th. Only today/tonight for NZ/AU/CA.

19. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

#59 strivemind, Feb 13, 2013
    The IAP's themselves are usually not such a problem if done correctly. The issue lies in that the EA's and Zynga's scale the model in such a way that they expect you to drop $150 or more.

As usual, vote with your money. Spend money on premium games, and don't on freemium.

For now ill just hand this to my 4yr old. He only has enough patience for a race or two in a single play session before he gets bored and switches games.

20. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    The only real thing I care to know is can the game be played offline?