Real Racing 2 (Releasing on 16/Dec. 16 Player Online Multiplayer !!!)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by doodlejumper, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    But Overall GT was still a better game...

2. frendil

frendil Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    #82 frendil, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
    Anyone else think the physics in that preview seemed weird? I'm sure the car should have spun out several times yet didn't. Even on the first real racing it would have at least skidded. If you turned off all the driving aids on the first one the cars, especially the muscle cars, handled pretty realistically, but that trailer just looked fake as hell.

Look at 1:02, just look...

3. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    If this is meant to be a sim then i really could care less about graphics...

For me, if the game ran at a solid 60fps and had accurate physics and handling it could look like Virtua Racing (1992 sega arcade racer) and i'd love it.

To be honest... on a side note .... i'd love a honest re-release of Virtua Racing :)

GT PSP might not look so hi-res as RR2 but just look at the handling and realism of it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQj2--pDhY8&feature=related

Handling and Frame rate are kings of racers ... and i'm happy to sacrefice graphical fidelity to get better of those others

4. miSterGuN

miSterGuN Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Then go and grab GT Racing: Motor Academy, especially if you have an iPhone 4/iPod Touch 4. It's the only racing game on iOS that runs on a full simulation physics engine.

Real Racing might have nice graphics, and feature a realistic racing environment, but it's physic engine is totally arcady. Looking at the video from RR2, it looks like they haven't changed that...

5. Alex@Firemint

Alex@Firemint Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    Some more info about the video

Hi everyone, and thank you all for your interest in Real Racing 2 :) We've been reading the feedback here and elsewhere, and Rob (our founder) wanted to share a bit more information about what's in the video, as well as a bunch of other stuff. There's a new post on our blog that goes into a fair bit of detail so check it out!

Cheers

Alex

6. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    From the Real Racing 2 official blog:

"Also, for those who are asking, we have no imminent plans to release an iPad adaptation of Real Racing 2. That will still take a whole lot more work."

My response:

"By neglecting the iPad, this go around (having purchased and loved the first Real Racing) you have lost a potential customer. I exclusively use an iPad, therefore I was really looking forward to Real Racing 2, as soon as I saw the trailers.

Quite a disappointment. Sad, that you would invest in older devices while turning your back on the iPad segment, who often also will pay more for their games."

7. Ipadboy

Ipadboy Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Behind your mother
    Dont feel bad....im sure this game will be universal...;)

8. olliewollie

olliewollie Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    A few great thing I picked up from this post...

-RR2's Graphics are better then those in the video
    -There will be 2 main builds each with a High Def and Low def Version
    *iPhone 4, iPod 4: Hi Graphics, Retina display
    *iPhone 3gs: Hi Graphics
    *iPod touch 2, iPhone 3g: Medium Graphics, Improved frame-rate compared with iTouch 1 Build
    *iTouch 1: Medium Graphics, Lower FR.
    -Game saves will be online and will use the latest Cloud cell

9. olliewollie

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    More people use the older devices then an iPad and anyway im sure the graphics will still look good on the iPad :).

10. TiltMyTouch

TiltMyTouch Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    #90 TiltMyTouch, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    Or, in other words, you're mad that they've neglected your specific iDevice in favor of the more widely owned iDevices, and you make a poor argument in attempt to get them to release it for the iPad....Lol.

First off, "That will still take a whole lot more work" would imply that it will indeed be released for the iPad eventually, and knowing Firemint and judging from that statement, a high quality product will be delivered. Taking into consideration of the more demanding work needed for iPad games, and it perfectly makes sense for them to delay the release of an iPad version. Besides, Firement has already kindly put in the work to make Real Racing available even for the oldest devices out there, like the iPod Touch first gen. There is no doubt an iPad build will be on the way after the release of the regular RR2.

Secondly, you're last paragraph made me facepalm quite a few times. Just because the iPad is new doesn't mean the iPhone and iPod Touches are all of a sudden "older devices". Last time I checked, Apple's still coming out with new generations of each. Considering how these two products are far more appealing to the average customer, they're going to continue to have a far greater consumer base as well. And, iPad owners are more often willing to pay more for their games? Umm, seriously? They HAVE to pay more for their games because developers charge MORE on the iPad App Store for HD versions. The majority of iPad owners aren't just some rich folks that have nothing better to do than be extremely eager of buying games for generally unfair prices.

To me it just seems you're an arrogant/ignorant iPad owner that really does not see the big picture of what Firemint is doing.

11. olliewollie

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    That was what I was trying to say. The iPad isn't exactly something I can walk around the house playing games on or call my wife with. It's like comparing a psp to a ps3, there completely different sizes and are ment for different purposes. Anyway, the last time I checked im sure that the Ipod 4 is the latest model, does that mean that the ipad is an older device and they shouldn't invest in it? No.

12. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    #92 Pacificsun0481, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    Ugh.

You guys don't get it. Yes, the iPad is more expensive, therefore less people have one = less user base

Yes, the apps generally cost more = money for developer

I understand the iPad is not as "new" as the iPhone 4 or iPod touch 4, though it was the first Apple tablet, as well as the first to have an A4. It pioneered stuff, right? Lol...

It still is more technically specd than an iPod touch 4 though ;)

Anyhow, my point is, why stick a finger at iPad owners, thus neglecting them and their business? I don't understand, why, after releasing Real Racing HD (a game i bought on April 3, when my ipad arrived) they couldn't plan to include ipad development on this game from the start?

Or...why not do what id did, and have the hd version universal with the iPad?

Why is it that everyone thinks an iPad owner who feels slighted is a whiner?

Who here, would be complaining just as vocally if it were an iPod touch 4 or iPhone 4 being left off? Or, had they said we'll develop this on iPad first and others when we can, or at a later date?

I'm sure many of you.

I also wish people would quit deriding iPad owners as some black sheep minority, who deserves game scraps, when it's often a way better device to play games on.

13. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Have you played a game pixel doubled?

Most have artifacts and such...not all too great. The games that look alright pixel doubled are like 2d platformers and animated sprite based titles.

14. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    None of us will complain if the Touches and Phones were left off- at least, the people who understand the App Store. Why? If there ever comes to the point where an app is for whatever reason released for the iPad first, a standard version will be quick to come because downgrading is obviously a much quicker process than upgrading. And I agree with you that the iPad is a better device to play games on, so when the time comes when the superior capabilities of the iPad means an iPad-exclusive app, then we really can't complain, can we?

Most people with an iPad already have an iPod Touch/iPhone, so this isn't a big issue. But for the special minority like you that exclusively uses an iPad, you guys should understand that you will be receiving games later. You said it yourself, it's a better device to play games on. But that is because in addition to the slick graphics and processing powers, it has a bigger screen, and thus development for iPad games will take more time than the iPod Touch/iPhone users. That is why you guys get games late, and we get them early.

EDIT: Hell, did you see how slow some developers were in updating their game to retina display back when the new iPhones were released? Upgrading games to support better technological devices isn't as easy as it sounds.

15. olliewollie

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    Maybe it will be universal :)

16. TNT_HEADSHOT

TNT_HEADSHOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Doubt it, they'll probably want to squeeze another $15 out of us iPad owners.

17. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA

I would hope so. They mentioned they have no plans as of now, for an iPad version.

So it's highly doubtful.

I'm just bummed.

18. TiltMyTouch

Jun 10, 2010
    Are you kidding me?! What have I already said? This is Firemint. They're one of the best developers in the App Store. This statement is from you yourself:

They're not working on it now. Why? They've got the standard version of RR2 to develop and polish, as well as a multiplayer update for RR1. Obviously, once they have less work on their hands, I can 100% guarantee you an HD version will be on the way. When you're talking about Firemint, do not feel shunned if you are an iPad owner. They will get an HD version out to you in due time.

19. Pacificsun0481

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    There are still games that I'm waiting for an iPad version to arrive (street fighter 4, aerox) - though I did buy the iPhone version of street fighter 4...

I mean Mirrors Edge was that one instance when an iPad version was out long before, yet, iPhone owners waited and were very vocal that THEY didn't have it.

All I'm saying is: I'm highly disappointed by this news. Because I'm not happy about it, I will choose to not buy the game upon release because of their decision to leave out the device I use. I will use my dollars in protest :p

And because in truth, iPad owners are technically willing to pay more (iPad versions cost more, iPad owners willingly pay those prices. iPhone owners would probably not be as eager to pay iPad game prices- therefore, not was willing) they will lose out on whatever price they'd have charged me for the game.

20. Agreed. Firemint has been good about iPad support, so I doubt you iPad guys would get neglected. Sure, the HD version might cost a bit more, but that's a small price to pay for such a polished game. :)

Edit: Congrats on your 1337th post, lol.