Universal Rayman Fiesta Run - (by Ubisoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    +1.

If runners were all about distance travelled, then Indiana Stone is a... Platformer? o_O

Auto-running platformer may be the correct subgenre, but personally, i believe anything where you cant stop moving or change direction manually is defined more as a runner than a platformer.

2. unicowz

unicowz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2013
    i have it on my ipod touch 8 gb version, it works fine, no lags or other flaws,
    just buy the game its really good

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    It's all semantics. But to me also where platforming is one of the biggest components of the experience, it's hard for me to call it a straight runner either. Mario is definately a traditional platformer. But you'd almost have to call the Sonic games runners because you almost never stop and nor do you spend much time going back and forth in direction. But yet people call that a platformer.

There are even traditional platformers, like Pizza Boy for instance, that have levels that auto scroll -- forcing you to keep going forward.

I'd say it's best to just say it's a runner/platformer hybrid.

4. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    is it an endless runner? or levels and you can move each left and right side?

5. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    it's not an endless runner, but you can't move left right either. It's a level based runner/platformer hybrid :D just buy it, it's fantastic :)

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    It's not endless. It's level based. And you do not control the direction of your movement.

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Despite ALMOST non-stop running in Sonic games, you still have control to stop him and change direction. So... It's a platformer. Holding the forward button to speedrun in Mario doesnt really make it a runner game. ;)

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    But wouldn't you agree this has WAY more platforming involved than most of what have been termed runners (a term probably just recently evolved from touch screen games)? That's why think for arguments sake it's easier just to call this a hybrid.

I'm a huge runner fan like yourself. I guess I just don't think this falls squarely in either bucket.

9. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    If you could run left and right and have control over your character they may as well port over the console version of this game. Which would then jack up the price to $40 or more. But games like league of evil have proved that virtual controls CAN work extremely well so hey, it's not a complete impossibility.

10. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    #70 italodance, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    Tnx yeah im gonna purchase it now

8 / 10 @ www.eurogamer.net

9 / 10 @ www.pocketgamer.co.uk

yeah :)

11. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    It falls squarely in the same bucket as Polara. I'd put them under the main genre of runners with the sub-genre categories of level-based & platforming. Heck I'd put Granny Smith in the same genre as well with the sub-genre category of racing added.

12. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Is it just running or do you fight baddies too?

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup. Im sure we agree it's an auto-running platformer. I guess this whole shenans started with SoS's point that Psj wont really enjoy this since it is an auto-runner (in addition to being a platformer), since Psj did make it clear he doesnt generally like games that way.

14. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Well the term platformer comes from jumping from platform to platform, which is the main gameplay element of this game.

15. Jesse7277

Jesse7277 Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I wish other devs would take note. Looking at you gaijin games. This game runs smooth on iPad mini just like iPhone 5. Bit.trip run not so much -_-

16. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    Yes, you can go left and right, but only in certain situations, and to change directions you have to wall jump...

I don't think its a traditional platformer, It just gives me more of a platformer feel than a runner feel.

17. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    The whole "shenans" started in the impressions I posted, where I said it feels way more like a platformer than a runner.

18. Jesse7277

Jesse7277 Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Also I've seen no adds. Not one.

19. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    Yeah,
    They aren't very often, but they are full page when they pop up.
    I've had one or two in an hour and a half or so.

20. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    I think it's more like a runner, you think it's more like a platformer.. so we should say it's a runner/platformer hybrid like AWP said and that's it.

I just wanted to tell PSJ that this is not the kind of game he is looking for (traditional platformer). He don't like auto running and stuff like that so I said that it's more like a runner.