Universal Rayman Fiesta Run - (by Ubisoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #41 Lazer Kat, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    Impressions coming soon:
    Amazing.
    It's no surprise. This game is simply stunning.
    The first one was one of the best games in the App Store.
    This one feels better in every way.

This studio makes the best platformers ever made (and I'm a HUGE Mario/DK fan) with their new full console ray,an games. I can't wait till the day I play those on my iPad, until then this will definitely do.

The game feels more like a platformer than a runner, for those unfamiliar with the series. The level design is head-and-shoulders above the first.
    The controls = perfect
    This makes me realize how bad Bit.Trip.Run actually delays when jumping.

(Gaijin Games: download this game and take notes. This is how your game should feel. BTR is just as good as this in every way besides the one that truly matters, how it feels when playing.)

2. Shan82

Shan82 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Songwriter.
    USA
    Amazing, beautiful game love them both! :D:D:D

3. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    With the quality and the detail on this engine is going to be hard to go back to the first one to finish it... but I must do that in order to play this one...

4. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    #44 Lazer Kat, Nov 7, 2013
    I'm amazed that they made it look THIS MUCH BETTER and actually decreased the file size

I know someone will ask about the IAPs, so ill go ahead and comment on them...

They are available.
    You can buy coins, but I'm not sure why you would want to. The balance seems HEAVILY tilted towards the players favor.
    After only a few levels I had more coins than I could spend. There isn't enough stuff in the store to use all of the 3,000+ coins I have, unless I'm missing something.
    The power ups do cost coins for every level, which I don't like at all...but so far they're only 50-100 coins, and as I said, I have well over 3,000. Well see if later on that catches up. I really don't like the idea of having to "purchase" them every level...but so far that seems to be the only option.

I have experienced one ad in the ~ hour or so I've been playing the game. That isn't a big deal, but it does bother me more than the IAPs. When I buy a game, and spend my hard earned money on it, I don't want to see ads unless they're advertising for their other games (exe. The way Oooga jump advertises for pocket god doesn't bother me).
    With that being said, the ads seen very few-and-far-between

5. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    This is a very good game, liking the over world and graphics. Who needs Rayman Legends well I am not.

6. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#46 killercow, Nov 7, 2013
    I'm still complaining about the soundtrack though. Why would you use only 5-6 songs when you've got that incredible OST by Cristophe Heral? I know they want to save as much space as they can but that's such a shame...

Furthermore Rayman Legends' soundtrack is one of the best soundtrack ever for a platform game... Shame on you Ubi!

Oh and weirdly the game doesn't feature iCloud support this time around.

7. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Ads? For what?

8. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    iAP AND ads? Wow. That's sad. I would pay a dollar extra just to remove the stupid "+" button next to the number of coins you have, the prompts to buy stuff, and the ads. Right now that's the clear boundary between iOS games and PC/console games. It really grinds my gears and stops me from buying games like this that otherwise would have been fantastic.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup... when i first loaded, an ad for Might & Magic Clash of Heroes popped up... FULL SCREEN.

Gameplay wise though, this is still top notch. I just hate having to pay for a game, and see plastered full screen ads on it.

10. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    Great game rayman i beastly

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Hmmm. What are the controls like ?

A platformer you can go left/right, can you do this here or is it a 'runner' where its just jump ? Can you just stop running ? Theres a big difference between a runner and a platformer.

12. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Nope you can't stop running. To me it's more like a runner than a platformer.

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    It's basically a auto-running platformer. If you think about it, even games like Sonic, you rarely ever stop. I'm brain dead right now - not enough sleep - but I know here's other games considered platformers where you just keep going.

I consider runners to be more about how fast and how far you can go.

14. sink_or_swim

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    what I was trying to say is that it's not a game for psj because he wants to move left/right and you can't do that in RFR.
    I agree that auto-running platformer might be the correct term. But TO ME it feels more like a runner.

15. Lazer Kat

Sep 29, 2013
    It is definitely a hybrid, but to me a runner is about distance traveled.
    This has levels, and is much more about timing your jumps from platform to platform.
    So, yes it does auto-run, but I would put it way closer to a platformer than a runner...

Either way were talking semantics. Most fans of good platformers will love this game.

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I dont think we're getting picky. I've been playing platform games for yearsss, platform games to me are like Manic Miner/Sonic/Mario, i can go left/right and jump and stop moving. These were called platform games in the 80's/90's and even 00's. The name platformer seems to be getting wrongly used often.

These games are runner games as you are constantly running. I was just hoping when someone mentioned a platformer that this was a 'traditional' left/right/jump one (like one of the original Rayman games)

Dont get me wrong this looks great, i just wish it was more a 'traditional' platformer than a runner

17. sink_or_swim

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Agreed.

18. michaelfields

michaelfields Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Wow thanks for the heads up about the ads. I'm out on this one. I'm not paying premium price for ads and constant IAP nagging. They should either make the game free or get rid of that crap. I can't believe they put ads in a premium game. Garbage.

19. farmerman

farmerman New Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Has anybody played it on an Ipod 4th gen (32gb) yet? does the game lag at all?

20. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I would say it's in the Runner Genre, but a sub-genre under that with level based platformers. Another sub-genre would be endless where those would be further broken down based on the perspective (side-scrolling, top down, behind the back). I too wouldn't put this in with traditional platformers since it's a runner first.