Ravensword: Shadowlands (Crescent Moon) coming Dec. 20th

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JoshCM, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    We're finishing up work on another game and then we will be getting back full time on Ravensword 2. Progress has been made in the meantime by Mark Jones and a few other artists. We're using the code from the new game to build Ravensword 2, so that should end up working out nicely.

2. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    So why havn't you announced the new game?(or have you)

3. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

It isn't only their game (I hope I'm thinking of the right game). unfortunatley I can't remember the name :(

4. Cool! I can't wait for more announcements and games from CM!

5. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    We haven't announced it yet - but we also have rimelands coming out at the same time.

6. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Can we at least get a sneak peek? :) (genre, title, anything!)

7. iball

iball Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    So does Apple's recent announcement yesterday that they will only take games that are coded in one of three languages and nothing done through something like Unity affect the release date for Ravensword 2?

Personally I hate what they did.

8. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I think it's probably safe to say that over 50% of 3d iPhone games coming out are made with Unity - chillingo seems to think it's more going to affect flash conversions - but we'll see.

9. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    yea i think thats just in place for flash conversions
    unity will be fine

10. MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Will there be an update that's optimized for the iPad with enhanced graphics? Even if you just did a little optimization and had the game render at a higher resolution, it would obviously be better than Apple's double pixel method. I'd also suggest making Ravensword 2 universal with the iPhone and the iPad.

11. mjonesgraphics

mjonesgraphics Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Artist/Designer
    Washington DC area
    I hope this will not effect Unity. I've had good experiences with them on this and other platforms, they seem a good bunch of peeps. T

I can't see how this would be a good thing for Apple and it's iPlatform. Much of it's success has been down to people like Unity and Josh, and others that frequent the boards here. Bit daft if Apple's beef with Adobe catches the rest of us in the crossfire.

Mark

12. lampshade37

lampshade37 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    similarly will ravensword 2 be able to run on the second generation i touch like the first one can?:confused:

13. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I have not played the first one yet, but it is on my to-do list and coming up soon.

I'm not sure if it has been asked - but do you plan on supporting a first person view point?

I'm looking forward to playing the first one soon... but I am extremely interested in this followup.

14. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    The first one already has that (just not during a battle). Although, I'm not sure if the sequal will allow you to remain in first person during a battle or not. With that said, I would definitely like for that to be an option as well because that is how I enjoy playing games like Oblivion and Fallout 3.

15. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    during battle you can be first person the whole time (unless shooting the bow)

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Actually, the first one allowed you to stay in first person for everything except shooting arrows. Personally, I go back and forth -- there's something about melee fighting that seems easier from a 3rd person perspective, but first person is more immersive.

17. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Hmmm...I could have swore it used to kick you back into 3rd person during battles. By chance was this changed with a patch after the initial release because I've had the game since day one? Thanks.

18. Sajak

Sajak Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    While I enjoyed the original, I didn't think it was all that great. It was too short, the 'story' was rather nonexistent, and there really wasn't a whole lot of exploration. However, keeping in mind it was an indie project, I have to give a lot of credit for the hard work you guys put into a game that had very few bugs and had probably what were the best production values on the app store at the time. Not to mention a free expansion of sorts. If nothing else, I got my moneys worth, and then some.

That said, I'm hoping that the sequel has more content to it. It needs to have more to do and more places to go. More items to collect (perhaps some drops or maybe some kind of blacksmithing/mining elements to it for optional equipment?) and just more story development. The story doesn't need to be like a book or a Final Fantasy game, but a little more than a couple sentences would be nice. :p

Anyway, best of luck. I'll be waiting for more info.

19. mjonesgraphics

mjonesgraphics Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Artist/Designer
    Washington DC area
    I was beavering away on some new towns folk until the whole Unity/Apple cr@p happened. :(
    The new model/textures are much more detail than the original.

That iPad screen is HUGE! We can't "cheat" as much with the detail. ;)

Mark