Ravensword: Shadowlands (Crescent Moon) coming Dec. 20th

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JoshCM, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    yeah now were awaiting Apple's decision whether to allow Unity powered apps.
    We're trying to remain positive - as so much work has already gone into this.

2. lampshade37

lampshade37 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    any news yet?

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Last posting from the Unity 3D CEO's blog basically said: I believe that we'll work it out with Apple so that Unity is not affected by the change in the SDK. In case we can't do that, we're already working on a fix that will make the engine comply with the letter and spirit of the SDK. My translation: the iPhone is too important to us, so we'll find a way to make it work. My guess is that the iPhone version of Unity will be modified so that it can't produce cross platform applications. But I'm almost certain that we will continue to have Unity based games on the iPhone.

4. TractionGames

TractionGames Well-Known Member

This apple ban on middleware is pretty heavy duty. Some of the email replies i have read by Steve Jobs himself on the matter has me more than a little concerned. He basically says that they are willing to wear the collateral damage of the decision (thousands of developers fleeing iphone) because it is apparently good for the long term future and progression of the platform.

In essence, by restricting these middleware / rapid development tools he will be locking out the small independant developer scene meaning only the major companies like EA and Gameloft who have the resources to develop in-house native engines will be capable of making cutting edge 3d games. A game like ravensword to build from the ground up without the assistance of a 3d game engine and development environment would be a multi million dollar project and not justifiable for most small studios.

For every decent game written in Unity (Ravensword, Zombieville USA, Peggle, etc) there are a hundred horrible shovelware apps that really have no place on the store. These masses of crappy low budget apps make it harder for big companies to justify going all out and dedicating millions to an iPhone game because they know a few hundred doodle jumps will end up pushing them out of the charts a week later. Without the competition, the chance of being noticed is better, bigger companies will dedicate more resources and the iPhone will become more like a PSP with an exclusive set of developers under very strick quality control guidelines. App prices will go up, apple will make more money and the iphone will become the technology leader not being stifled by the middleware slowdown factor.

Of course the doodle jumps will still be there, most of those do not use engines /middleware because they don't need them, its the middle tier of next-gen 3d titles that I feel will suffer the most by this decision.

5. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Yes, this could be a setback if it goes into effect. We don't know for sure yet though.

6. alexsmokin27

alexsmokin27 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    honestly josh, you had a great thing going with ravensword, hopefully you turned a slight profit and you came out of the battlefield after a year hard at work virtually unscathed, but unfortunately, as much as it kills me to say this, with this new app store unity redux policy, it just doesn't seem like you will survive any longer in this market and the only logical choice seems to be that you should quit while you're ahead. Chillingo can only be your big daddy for so long, this game just seems far too complex for such a small company just to have it "be pushed off of the charts by a few hundred doodle jumps", it's cruel, but unfortunately it's true, I fu*king loved this game but I am sorry to say, it just isn't as fun as something that costs 99 cents to buy and costs the developer 99 cents to make (games like doodle jump).

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    1) We still don't now what will happen with Unity. It's possible that Apple will carve out an exception for graphics middleware (the fact that they're still accepting Unity based games seems to suggest that something like this is in the works). In the worst case scenario, it's almost certain that Unity will adapt their iPhone package to comply with the new SDK. Unity's CEO has not posted an update on their website since the 14th, so we don't know for sure.

2) Chillingo was never Crescent Moon's "big daddy" -- Josh can elaborate on that if he cares to.

3) Games like doodle jump have been popping up and disappearing with increasing speed. One quick gander at the top grossing chart (the only one that matters) shows very few doodle-jump-style games (besides doodle jump). If anything is dominating these days are bigger properties from well known developers and publishers (with Chaos Rings as king of the hill). There is a growing audience for more polished, deeper fare: the question is how best to reach it.

4) I'm sure there are people who are more entertained by games that cost "99 cents to make," than by a game like Ravensword. That has no bearing on whether a game like Ravensword II can be a success.

5) Suggesting that a developer just "quit while he's ahead" is pretty darn insulting. But I'll assume that you're just naive and don't understand exactly what you're saying.

8. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I really hope that the new SDK middleware ban doesn't affect Unity, I just bought a Mac and Unity so I could start developing for the iPhone.

9. alexsmokin27

Mar 14, 2010
    actually, i happen to know several people that have lost their shirts trying to make the next big thing to hit the appstore, so I don't mean it to be an insult when I tell joshua to quit while he's ahead, I'm trying to warn him that these changes in the sdk might possibly not be looking out for everyone's best interest. Although many people are still continuing to be ambitious, which I love, it is very easy for you to tell another dev to throw their time and money into a game just so in the end your gaming pleasure will be satisfied. I personally couldn't be happier seeing ravensword 2 hit the app store in the next half year to year, but at this current time and place, something like this doesn't seem very realistic. I personally would recommend making a super cheap game that could be made quickly and sold cheaply and could be in the appstore for a very short time but gross you some serious revenue in that short life. Squarezero, you're telling these devs to think like a Warner Brothers CEO when they only have the resources of an NYU film student.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I'm not telling them to think like anybody -- they've been at it for a while, and they know very well what they're doing. And that's my point: they don't need your (or my) advice as to when to throw in the towel.

Reading what's been happening at EA, Activision, and especially Sega recently, it's clear that there are no guarantees in the gaming business. From what I know about Josh and Russ, they're level-headed fellows whose main objective is make a living at what they love doing. So far that's working out for them. I trust that they'll figure out their next steps on their own.

11. alexsmokin27

Mar 14, 2010
    very reassuring stuff zero, very re-ass-uring

12. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    wtf does that mean?

anyway - we're still crackin at it.
    we've been working on our secret project, as well as Ravensword 2.
    Hopefully we can reveal that this week. Got the new Crescent Moon Games site mostly done today.

13. lampshade37

lampshade37 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010

awesome, I've been dying to know what the "secret project" is.:) you guys got me hooked with ravensword: the fallen king, so i looked all over the place online until i found these forums. now I've been following you guys and what you're working on.:)

14. AmazingRuss

AmazingRuss Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I know for a fact that every single one of you guys that has an iThing also has a Mac or PC, and we can do some really nice stuff in the same price range on those platforms.

If Apple strikes us down, we shall become more powerful than they can possibly imagine.

15. alexsmokin27

Mar 14, 2010
    I like the spirit, see squarezero, not everyone has to live and die on the iphone, there are other options, this guy has the right idea, at least he has a back up plan, I don't know about you zero, but I don't think amazingruss is in the mood to lose his shirt supporting a cell phone that will become outdated within a few years

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    You have not paid attention to a single word I've written.

17. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Alex - I don't like to make enemies on these forums - but Squarezero owns the joint. He has some of the best writing pertaining to games on these forums - the guy knows a lot. Play nice.

18. alexsmokin27

Mar 14, 2010
    I'm not trying to make enemies with either you or squarezero, I respect your work on ravensword and your dedication to these forums, I also respect squarezeros views on the actual games (not the politics surrounding them) and also his very long lasting dedication to these forums, that being said, no one is above criticism and certainly no one owns these forums, I will say my views, and you guys can debate with me all day if you choose, I'm not asking you to do so, but if I have a disagreement with someone I'm going to voice my opinion regardless of their stats or kin (sort of serious sort of joking)

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I agree: noone owns these forums (except Arn, perhaps). For the record, I am very supportive of Josh and Russ's efforts to expand beyond this platform; I actually think that UltraKid would do well as a PSP Mini. Personally, I don't think it's time to give up on a platform with an installed base that is approaching 100 million. But I trust that these guys will make the right decision about their business.

20. alexsmokin27

Mar 14, 2010
    after the release of the new ultrakid screens, I respectfully... agree