Universal Ravensword: Shadowlands - (by Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 19, 2012.

1. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Why not? GTA 3 has mods, and I'm sure that GTA VC has also mods.

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Asphalt having a crap framerate is a bug or optimization issue, not a hardware related one.

Yes, but they aren't officially supported by the dev or the app ;)

Then why are there only blob shadows in Sanuku's iPad 2 vid?

3. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    crex could you share some screenshots from the 4s version?

4. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    we wanted to do something with mods, kind of ran out of time. :)

5. Solidfart

Solidfart Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    #85 Solidfart, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
    Another good looking game with pretty boring ass game play.

Stupid enemies as they can muster. They just stand in one spot waiting to get slashed. Big monsters are just as stupid; they don't give the player a greater challenge and can be killed the same way as a normal human soldier, slash slash slash, wash rinse and repeat.

It's beginning to be an alarming trend where devs place 80% of time and resources on graphics while gameplay and fun factor seems to be an afterthought. Yet all many here could wonder about is whether or not some devices have real time shadows. WTF!

6. BruteOutlawz

BruteOutlawz Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Be cool if you could reply to some of these questions being asked..

7. paulkolin86

paulkolin86 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Josh.. Thank U for the gift B4 christmass! Can't wait to purchase it tonight!

8. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Of course. Mods can't be supported by the app itself because everytime the app downloads something from the app's server those files are saved in the Documents folder (or the Library folder, I don't remember).
    CM could create a web where everyone could upload/download some cool mods for the game, which would be installed with iFunbox/iExplorer/etc. So yeah, no problems for Apple.

9. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Did I hear "update with support for mods available in January"? :D

10. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    Wow... I didn't think I'd be excited by this (aralon was a let down for me) but this really seems to hit all the points I want in a mobile RPG, judging by that video upthread. Guess tonight's going to be expensive!

11. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

You actually realize that you are talking about the Prelude/Tutorial? You are supposed to cut throw it in a short of Time to get the Basic Gameplay Mechanics and after that on your own more or less.

12. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I have an iPad 3, should I officially be worried about performance?

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Cool story bro. I take it you garnered your wealth of information from that 15 minute video which only contained the tutorial, and drew your rock solid conclusions from that? I see.

Let's wait until we actually see gameplay that's not the tutorial. And even then, remember that AI isn't really the focus of RPGs, it's more important in strategy, racing and shooting games.

No. TA's hands on vid was with an iPad 3, and there was an FPS counter in the top right corner. It never went below 20, and that was before they went through the optimization stage. I think you'll be fine.

14. paulkolin86

paulkolin86 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012

Exactly. It was just an intro/tutorial. Actually I would be happy to see outside gameplay..just too curious b4 playing it myself tonight... BTW I enjoyed Aralon much!

15. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    #95 crex, Dec 19, 2012
    edit: nothing to see here. Move along.

16. ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Yes, I know it isn't a precise 1 to 1 relationship between pixel count increases and additional GPU performance required. Coincidentally, going from the SGX543MP2 to the SGX554MP4 isn't a complete quadrupling of performance either since not all GPU hardware resources were quadrupled. I was more wondering how big the real world GPU performance gap between the iPad 2/iPad Mini and iPad 4 is at native resolution. I'm thinking it isn't huge and if you say the original intention was that the A5 would get realtime shadows, that seems to confirm that the gap probably isn't large and perhaps with some tweaking it'll come in a later patch.

17. devx

devx Member

Aug 12, 2009
    All effects are the same across devices accept for texture resolution, shadow effects, and plant life details. There is a view distance slider which you can adjust based on your personal preference.

iPhone 5, iPad 4, and iPad 3 run full retina mode with full texture resolution. Other devices scale down the texture resolution based available RAM and rendering bandwidth. The same is done for the plants.

Realtime shadows oy run on iPhone 5 and iPad 4. On other devices we could not sustain our target frame rate with realtime shadows, so they scale down to blob shadows, and eventually get turned off entirely on the lowest supported hardware. Various factors are at play when the shadows are on, including CPU culling, rendering bandwidth, and pixel fill rate. Ultimately the frame rate test is the deciding factor for the realtime shadow support, even though the hardware would technically support it.

18. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    That you that is very helpful and important to me because I didn't want to buy and be spdissapointed,

Genuinely appreciate your opinion there :)

Looking forward to this game now!

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #99 JBRUU, Dec 19, 2012
    Ah. Thanks a load for the info. Well then, I'm glad I upgraded. Very glad indeed.

Pity realtime shadows are so exclusive. If I may suggest something for a later update, how about adding a switch to turn retina off and realtime shadows on on an iPad 3 — the hardware should run it fairly well and iPad 3 owners would appreciate the option. I know I did when I owned an iPad 3 and could choose between retina and effects for NOVA 3.

20. devx

devx Member

Aug 12, 2009
    We will continue to optimize, so all of the above is subject to change :)