Universal RAVENMARK: Mercenaries - (by Witching Hour Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 21, 2013.

1. RazvanGNR

RazvanGNR Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Well you made me very happy with this! The first game still remains one of my favorite games on any platforms and i know this will be awesome as well!
    Congratulations on another great release and good luck, and i`ll do my best to support this great developer! :D

2. actionrpg8000

actionrpg8000 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    How much is it?

3. Uberskooper

Uberskooper Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2012
    The game is free to download and play. You get all of the basic brigades for your starting faction and enough silver to buy some stuff. All of the basic brigades are quite cheap.

To get rid of the adverts, you can buy one of two collector's packs. The Collector's Edition is $5 and gives you a bunch of options to customize your company standard (all of the colors and the basic sigil packs for all the factions) as well as 3 unique brigades. The Elite Collector's Edition is $50 and it basically gives you everything. You get all of the customizing options (colors, sigils, etc.) plus a few exclusive ones. You also get all of the brigades from the get go.

4. ChocoVanilla

ChocoVanilla Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    SweetsTown, DessertVille, CandyLand
    If you don't mind that the game requires you to be connected whenever you boot it up, the single player aspects are actually quite complete and do not take away from the experience. With the sole exception being human vs artificial intelligence, they play the same way mechanically and allow you the same expansive array of brigade customization that you find in multiplayer. WHS is known for their intelligent and sometimes brutal AI, so you can be guaranteed that it isn't going to be a cakewalk to mow through single player maps. Winning will offer you bonuses to silver, faction points and experience, as well as the occasional lodestone (the alternative currency in Mercs) so you can definitely access all of the brigades available for hire. The AI also receives an HP bonus to their units after every battle you win, so they do get subsequently more challenging, but definitely still beatable.

5. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    After quite a few AI matches I can say that the AI is moderately smart.
    The first few are normally not especially challenging for me.
    But once the HP bonuses for the AI begin to pile up, you need to get really creative with your tactics.
    I twice reached a point - think after ~20 matches - where its units had such an amount of HP that I couldn't figure out a way to win anymore. That's when it gets frustrating, but the AI matches - and, more importantly, the HP boni - are reset to 0 once a week.

The matches in between, say from 5-20, where fun and increasingly challenging.
    They are also a good way to test new brigade setups:
    If the AI can curbstomp you without having an HP bonus, you need to rethink your tactics, or admit that a particular combination most likely won't work.

6. ChocoVanilla

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    It's also free experience for your brigades to get those shiny new badges and make them even deadlier for multiplayer. ;)

7. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    My max this week before the skirmish reset was 31 matches I think they were hardened to 93 or 96% tough as nails

8. Bossmanz

Bossmanz New Member

Jul 3, 2013
    I think they should let the players decide the autoresign time. Just add an option that allows you to choose between 1 day, 2 days and 3 days. There could even be a special 1 hour autoresign setting for people who want to play quick matches.

9. Crumston

Crumston Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Junior Producer
    Singapore
    Maybe I should pester Ian to give Crumston a bazooka. I've been trying to do it since our DnD days more than half a decade ago. He never gives in though :( Mean.

Awesome, dude. Cheers :)

Wow. Haha, yikes. o_O You've been getting in a lot of practice huh.

We actually discussed this way back during the initial design process of the game. I was all for it to be honest – but while it remains an open topic, it's not the highest thing on our list of priorities right now. Definitely something that I'd like for us to revisit when things are more settled down with Mercenaries :)

10. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Creative Lead//Witching Hour Studios
    Launch build is with Apple! We'll see you all on the 11th! =D

11. Hunter2-1Actual

Apr 28, 2013
    Come on!!! -7 :D

12. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    What is with the adds in between every turn round? Was playing last night and got a candy crush saga and something else add pop up and had to dismiss it in between every single round.

Really? Is that the aptitude of this?

I'd be happy to pay a couple of bucks to straight up never see that crap to begin with.

13. Uberskooper

Uberskooper Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2012
    You can buy one of the Collector's Editions to get rid of the ads as well as other bonuses.

14. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Cool. Just wasnt expecting it from this. If there's an easy way out for a small price then ok. It's just that it's a fairly obtrusive add, though I know it's easily dismissed. Just blew my mind over whether I was still playing ravenmark or somethig else lol!

I bet the new users that come online next week will have a bit to say about it.

15. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    I guess it's a necessary evil? It's for us to defray server costs, honestly.

16. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    No worries. I totally understand the need to at least break even let alone support yourselves and a family.

Remember we here on TA are a picky bunch who are into ios gaming, so practically anything to do with the game is a talking point.

17. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Boy, do I know. I remember when we messed with the price a bit for SOE. What a storm. Lol.

18. ChocoVanilla

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    I think it was 20-something pages of outrage at the increase to $9.99 followed by a further 30-odd pages of people wishing for a price drop. :rolleyes:

The IAP system in Mercenaries is honestly the only type of IAP I ever want to see on any game console or platform. It gives users access to what is essentially the full game plus a few awesome perks if the do decide to support the devs.

19. Hunter2-1Actual

Apr 28, 2013
  20. Reydn

Reydn Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    #120 Reydn, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    Agreed

!!! I'm also counting the seconds, .. er, days, with you!