Universal RAVENMARK: Mercenaries - (by Witching Hour Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 21, 2013.

1. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    You guys really need to make the cancellation time shorter than 3 days. That's way too much time to hold up good brigades. I'm at round 4 beating this guy like he stole something and he stopped and has not moved in almost two days now :mad: I hate cowards "death to the Lannisters"

2. ChocoVanilla

ChocoVanilla Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    SweetsTown, DessertVille, CandyLand
    It's an asynchronous online TBS on a mobile device. Most people, myself included, don't have the time to finish a match in one sitting, and sometimes may not get around to it until a day after. Most people do have other irl priorities that sometimes takes them away from playing the game for a couple of days. Give it some time.

3. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Re:Match autoresign time:
    I vote for 2 days, or 2.5 days at the start. If 2.5 still feels too long, you can always lower it to two.

And while I certainly do not expect others to play everyday:
    If you dont't find the time in 1-2 days, and can see that you won't have time in the next 1-2 either, you should have the courtesy to surrender the game. Takes only a few minutes, and is a nice gesture towards the other player.

If people not doing a turn in days happens only rarely, and in a courteous environment, no problem. Then you can safely assume that RL circumstances just were as such.

However, if you have to quit ~10 games in less than a week, because your opponent does not even deploy, at least I see this as discourteous and detrimental for the overall playing environment.

4. ChocoVanilla

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    The problem also exists that it's currently the summer holidays, so a lot of people are on vacation. I'm currently in France atm, and I don't have a reliable internet connection except the rare occasion that I'm at the hotel (like right now) on their computers. For a game that requires a constant connection, things like that can be quite frustrating. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a change, I'm just saying that sometimes even getting online to quit a game can be more challenging than you think.

But I also think that it should be shortened to two days, just because I don't want to be dedicating my best brigades to potentially 3 days of limbo in the cloud.

5. ChocoVanilla

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    #85 ChocoVanilla, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
    Is there a delay period between completing the campaigns in SOE and getting the brigades in Mercs? I created a new account in SOE so I could play through the campaign again before Mercs, and I completed the first two campaigns before I downloaded Mercs and got the related brigades. I just finished the Suneaters today and my Mercs account doesn't seem to recognize it.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just logged out of my account in both games and back in again and now I have the new brigade. :)

6. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Creative Lead//Witching Hour Studios
    If anyone missed it, Sanuku has been kind enough to put together a gameplay preview of Mercs!

Yup. Both, or it's a bit awkward no?

This is something we'll be watching closely guys. Modify it if necessary. =)

Ventus Ventures V for the win! (Also my little nod to The Venture Bros. Heh.)

7. Uberskooper

Uberskooper Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2012
    I had no idea is was a nod to the Venture Brothers, though I should have been suspicious from it's name! A brigade featuring a barely competent scientist blundering his way across Eclisse would be great.

8. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Launch Trailer!

We could always bring Cyril back. =D

9. ChocoVanilla

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    The trailer looks great! Can't wait for the worldwide release so I can finally upgrade to the collector's edition.

I loved Cyril. I could definitely see him on a Rath or a Jabberwocky making the battlefield extremely wacky. Madmachiner anyone? :D

10. Crumston

Crumston Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Junior Producer
    Singapore
    Back from the dead.

Hahaha! I really liked Cyril too. Ah darn, seems like I've been missing quite a bit. Still, really glad to see everyone so active on here :) I apologise for my absence, been a bit under the weather recently.

Also my username is Crumston, for those of you who don't know yet. :p

11. Hunter2-1Actual

Apr 28, 2013
    I'm very hesitant about buying my first brigade. I've got 9300 "money" and now that tellions favour is 100 "sin incognis" costs 10.000. But I really like the nettlesong lurkers..can you give me an advice? I think I'm gonna buy nettlesongs but..

12. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Co-Founder, Witching Hour Studios
    Singapore
    *cough cough* nettlesong *cough*

13. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Yeah! <Cough, cough> The Sin Incognis suck! <Cough>

14. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I've never played any of the Ravenmarks but I'm thinking of going for this one because of all the customization that I love. Quick question though, if I never plan on ever playing online, is Mercs not a good choice of a game for single player?

15. Crumston

Crumston Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Junior Producer
    Singapore

If they do, I'll only have you and Leon to blame. :mad:

Actually, you have to be connected to play Mercenaries. If you intend on just playing the single-player, I think Scourge of Estellion would be a better experience for you. For now anyways. :p

As much as I love Crumston (he is my character after all), I have to agree that the Nettlesongs are awesome. The Sin Incognis are still amongst the better brigades though, just that given a choice between the two, Helram is way easier to use. Also, Purgecall o_O

16. Quintus

Quintus Member

Jun 23, 2013
    Buff maybe :p

10,000 compared to Ravensbane's 7000+ with the only difference being a dagger of crowseers is kinda expensive.(Perhaps a dagger of Outriders or another bunch of Crowseers)

Every time I meet someone with the Nettlesong Lurkers the sheer amount of brute force turns my Cainlaw Guards to butter.The stun ability the crowseers have stalls them but eventually gets overrun.Their poison also chips away at precious brawling health .-.

I guess the capability and specialized units of the Lurkers compensates for their price.

17. actionrpg8000

actionrpg8000 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    When you say you never plan on playing online, do you mean multiplayer? As has been pointed out, you have to be online to play, but I wonder the same question that you have. How does this work as a straight single player game? I played the prologue and first campaign (raven rise?) of Ravenmark:SoE, and while I enjoyed the battle system, this game seems more my taste. I didn't feel like following the story, and I wanted more customization of what forces I use. This seems perfect- just the battles, and I pick what I use. So can anyone comment on the single player experience?

18. Uberskooper

Apr 6, 2012
    If you don't want to play with other people, you could just play the contracts. They are just like the multiplayer battles, except against the AI. You still have to be connected to the internet to play them, since everything is processed on the developer's end.

19. actionrpg8000

actionrpg8000 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    My question is more of how the experience actually is. I know that you CAN just play the AI. I was wondering more of do you win points or experience to upgrade your troops or gain better troops? Also, has there been confirmation on how much the IAP to get rid of ads will be?

20. Uberskooper

Apr 6, 2012
    The contracts pay better than playing against people, it seems. When you take a contract from one faction against another you gain silver and favor from that faction (and sometimes loadstones). Matching wits against other people is more fun for me, and it also pays a little bit though not as much as the contracts. Your brigades will gain experience in both cases.

Yes, the IAP will get rid of the advertisements.