Universal RAVENMARK: Mercenaries - (by Witching Hour Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 21, 2013.

1. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Co-Founder, Witching Hour Studios
    Singapore
    it seems we've got a...

broken arrow! :D

2. Crumston

Crumston Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Junior Producer
    Singapore
    We're well on track, but let's not jinx it! I'll just guesstimate and say early September if everything goes well, but we'll make an announcement closer to the date.

Hold on to your horsies. :)

*Edit* Yeah... sorry about the Fellwalls, but we decided to nerf them a little.

3. Estupendo1

Estupendo1 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Nullzone, I finally got around to implementing your advice. The Jackdaws with Cordelia's Inspiration is very good. I combo'd with Mox Mortus that match, and it was a useful combination. Definitely feels much more like trading punches using some of these brigades: Which isn't bad if you play really tactically and know how to outlast the opponent: Still learning a lot here!

4. Hound16

Hound16 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    September isn't far at all! Keep up the amazing work.

Nah, they're still fine. My current combo with them is with the lost boars, the boars provide shock support, the spears run cavalry interference and the fellwall few hold the line and shoot stuff, which they still do well. Works like a charm on open maps, bit more tricky on the maps with choke points, but if I'm careful to give my boars space it still works. Happy hunting :)

5. Crumston

Jan 15, 2013
    Junior Producer
    Singapore
    Ooohhh... maybe I should try that...

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Sounds interesting, might give that a shot as well. Even though I try to stay away from the shooty brigs, and use Cavalry & Infantry instead.

Sidenote:
    Lost Boars & Charlie's Chargers looks fun, but did not work too well for me so far.
    In part because the 3 Boars need so much room to maneuver.
    Double Frogburger is more fun, and wins more ;)

7. Crumston

Jan 15, 2013
    Junior Producer
    Singapore
    Any comments on the newly updated Fellwall Few? It was recently amended again after some feedback.

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Huh, did I miss something? Or do you refer to them losing a Linesman?
    Didn't play vs. rebalanced Fellwall yet, so I cannot say how much of a difference it makes.
    In any case, it was direly neccessary to rebalance them a bit, so I am happy you did.
    As I said on the Ravenmark forums, personally I would have preferred if they had kept the shooty theme and lost an Infantryman instead of a Linesman.
    But I understand the reasoning, even if I don't agree ;)

9. lockecole7

lockecole7 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    2/10 on contracts today and lost at least 12 favor points across the board. Can we address this? Bad enough silver comes in at a snails pace, but why literally punish people for putting time into the game?

10. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Did anyone buy that expensive edition? Does it worth it?

11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Bought it on day one, and for me it definitely is:
    You get all Brigades except Lost Boars, and all the eyecandy from the banner customisation.
    More important, that is where I price the value of R:M . Highest quality game, with very active developers and great support; not some cheap cobbled-together "Angry Match3 TD" clone, shovelware is the word for those I believe ;)

12. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

The reason I'm on the fence is only because the game needs to be connected to their server to work, otherwise I would've bought it (I discovered this game a couple of days ago along with the first one; I don't know how I missed this gem).
    It does bother me a lot the thought of buying something and not be able to use it if the developer shut down the server(s). I know I can get my money's worth until then, but still bothers me.

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Without the server the game won't work anyways. There is no clientside processing, all done on the server. Think e.g. of any MMORPG: if they shutdown, you "lost" all your subscription fees, too.
    Not to mention supporting the devs. I suggested a monthly subscription model, but there are various reasons against it, a major one being the current iTunes pricing structure.

14. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Exactly, no servers, no game. That's what holding me up.

15. Estupendo1

Estupendo1 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    #435 Estupendo1, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    I decided a different strategy (hehe), I got the premium edition a) because it's worth it and b) because I avoid ads like the plague

But that way, I work with the nice selection you get. Then I understand them and do a few contracts here and there and also learn to play the game. Then I take them into multiplayer when ready and learn a lot again. It's great fun all the way.

Next I see interesting units and want to know how to change my gameplan so I buy an interesting new brigade (again it's worth it and I sorta earnt it! by understanding the game better).

Repeat every so often. Some units I've earnt in game (the cheaper ones) but the more diverse ones I've bought. So I'd say I have spent half the price of the collector's edition or just under.

That's a long story, but that way I pace the content to my learning curve and tbh have little rewards and don't feel completely swamped buying all the brigades. I still need to complete Ravenmark: Scourge of Estallion too!

So I will play some more with my current selection and then probably buy a few more when ready. Tbh, this sort of deep game (& multiplayer) is really good because there's nothing else in the app store games-wise I feel like buying in comparison. Only exceptions would be the new fifa game to upgrade from 13 and Faraway (which I have waited for 2 years now!). So it's money I'd probably use on app store but tbh the learning curve and skill in the game esp. playing other people and their diverse strategies is worth every cent. Big on finding skill games. +1.

Ravenmark: Mercenaries sorta fits in my schedule also due to async. . My bro has an operation on his leg soon, so I'll ensure he gets this and has plenty of turn-based strategy battles to go with books, videos he'll need while laid-up! :D

16. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Meh, bought the Elite Super Ultra Master Collection. Good games need support. I hope they don't disappoint though, since this model is much like Outwitters and that one was a fail (at least it was cheap)

17. Crumston

Jan 15, 2013
    Junior Producer
    Singapore
    Roger that sir. :)

We will. I talked to Leon yesterday, and it seems both the contracts and the border skirmishes are due a re-look. I do agree with you to a certain extent, and we'll see how we can fix this. Your suggestion would be to have no negative favour for failed missions? Anyone with a second opinion on this? Because I do think that it value adds to the game. Sure it's frustrating at times, but wouldn't it be too easy to raise your favour level otherwise? This is just a personal opinion though, so maybe I'm just a sucker for pain.

Perhaps we can raise the chances for success because as it stands right now, it's about 60-70% at the moment, more or less.

18. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Don't change it to a no negative It's too easy that way

19. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Border Skirmishes seem ok to me as they are. But then I never have enough time for them, and did not get past 30 completed yet. So people who play more of those might disagree.

Two suggestions for the Minor Contracts:
    - Make the Brigade level give a bigger bonus towards completion probability. Say, +10% for lvl2, +5% for lvl3, +2% for 4, and +1% each for 5 & 6.
    - Using a Brig of the nation corresponding to the Contract giving nation could give another bonus, maybe 5-10% .

That would raise the average from ~60% (I believe it is currently) to ~75%+ .

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Good luck to your brother!
    If he needs folks to play with, I'm sure enough people are willing to help out, me included.