Universal RAVENMARK: Mercenaries - (by Witching Hour Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Creative Lead//Witching Hour Studios
    Really stoked that you're enjoying yourself! =)

Factions dictate your starting brigades, favour and sigil options. Accessing the other options are quite easy after playing for a bit. That said, don't worry about brigades defecting, won't happen!

Aside from core brigades, each faction awards a different brigade with a commander for you to start with:
    - Estellion has the Mox Mortus, lead by Casca Argentus, a strong infantry centric brigade.
    - Varishah, the Bashaw Bashers with Kamirus ib Ziyadus, featuring a new cavalry Element - the Tercine Zealots.
    - Esotre sports the Fellwall Few, helmed by Allison L'Etainne (a redhead!) and comprises a silly number of guns.

2. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I'm already under the impression Mercenaries will never ever leave my iOS devices.

I'm really impressed...I spent 10 minutes on the banner personalization thing alone.

Since I heard about the game what now seems ages ago, I kept myself away from any thread...knowing I would have bought it on day one because I loved Ravenmark...so forgive me now if I have what probably is a dumb question.

Can I play solo, just to have my feet wet again, the 'game' part?
    Because I can't find a way (I admit I played in the middle of the night).
    I completed the tutorial (awesome.... I really liked it plus I loved the tidbits of story, the map, the mysterious letters....everything) and then it seems I have only two options: multiplayer (waiting for some friends of mine to wake up) or some sort of Hunters 2 contracts that are 'auto played' if I'm not missing something big.
    Is there a way to actually play some of them solo?

I'm probably missing something obvious here...so I had to ask.

Anyway the game seems really FANTASTIC.

3. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Co-Founder, Witching Hour Studios
    Singapore
    try the "border skirmish" contracts ;)

4. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    DOH!!!
    I said it was a dumb question...
    Thanks!!!!
    Just won my first skirmish....for some reason I kept playing minor contracts.

5. Arvel

Arvel New Member

Jun 22, 2013
    I think I've found something that answers a cliffhanger from the last game :)
    So in Helram's codex it states that he was exiled from his Lyri tribe for letting a group of prisoners go...and at the end of the 3rd mission for Deepwood Dragons we see that Cloe was left in the caves with Helram and the summary for the mission in SOE states that a voice was heard and Helrams codex states that he heard a voice so therefore...CLOE MIGHT STILL BE ALIVE

6. Hunter2-1Actual

Apr 28, 2013
    Maybe it should be fun posting our commanders name. The mine names Ghost

7. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Creative Lead//Witching Hour Studios
    <Whistles>

And mine is Tebius, if anyone wants the pleasure of beating the game's creator. =P

8. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I guess I'll finally have to put in the hours and finish the the first game to prepare myself for the Mercenaries full release.

9. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Singapore
    My username is Kevin and quite a few people have had the pleasure of mopping up the floor with me. I think I've lost like 50-60% of my games. Lol ..

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #30 Ayjona, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
    In Ravernmark: Mercenaries, frogs fight for YOU!! (But also, unfortunately, more true to the russian reversal form, frogs also fight you... At least you don't fight for frogs. So far.)

Commander's name, unsurprisingly, is "Ayjona". I'll be back with the most extended impressions I've ever given a game, hopefully in a few days (partly because real life is calling, but mostly because I would have to stop playing to type ;) ).

This much I can throw out there straight away: I have never felt so ineffectual in a beta, simply because Witching Hour have considered almost bloody everything! So, my review of the actual game mechanics and immense setting pending, expect Beep Games-Foursaken-Agharta-The Game Bakers-Ironhide-2K's mobile division-The Coding Monkeys-levels of visual, technical and UI-related polish. (And for me to start using "Witching Hour Studios" as the ultimate denotation of quality, something I really have been doing internally ever since Ravenmark...)

11. Crumston

Crumston Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Junior Producer
    Singapore
    Well... actually... :p

No, really you guys were a big help and the glowing praise you've given us... Cheers dude. We're really glad people are really enjoying the game. :) Looking forward to see what you have to say!

Cheers,
    Khai

12. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Wow, I'm seriously impressed.
    I can't wait for more story based tidbits.

One question...I know you are a band of mercenaries...but I found the possibility to select contracts that goes against your own people a bit...weird (I know the 'love ratio' change, but still...). I cleared all the ones of my 'people' so it was a bit...weird to pick up contracts against them too.
    Before that I got almost a nice MMPORG vibe, feeling like doing my part in a persistent world with a global story.

Anyway, fantastic game.

13. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Singapore
    wellllll... you *are* a mercenary after all .. if someone's paying and the silver is good ... ;)

14. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle

Well if you keep reading you are going to crap your pants about the new Denmother info. That was the first thing I went and checked when I got the latest build.

I can't wait for story tidbits.

15. witchinghourSG

witchinghourSG Well-Known Member

What Kevin said, and also - at the beginning when you choose a nation, that refers to the origin of the mercenary commander (aka you). Similarly, we categorize many of the mercenary brigade captains in the Codex according to their origin, but practically everyone featured is an independent contractor who has broken away from their nation for their own reasons.

We could probably make that stuff clearer, but it's a little difficult to do without getting into lengthy exposition early on. Some players get really turned off by that stuff and just wanna get straight into battles.

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I see, I imagined that but thanks anyway.
    Still found it a little weird but maybe it's just me.
    I'm already making stories in my mind about my Commander background so, even if probably not that efficient, I'll pick just the contracts I see fitting.
    The map world and the story tidbits make the world you created really alive....in way even more alive than the single player game.
    I can't wait to see where you will bring it after the game is avaible worldwide.

17. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Blacksteel Brigade as well. And the flying Infirmary. Yes, I really like the "tanks".
    Really sad panda here, that the Jabberwockies can't charge anymore. Will have to see if they still do good for standardbearer assassination.

18. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Looking forward to the multiplayer for sure!

19. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Is this an online only game? Why am I prompted to create an account before I even have a chance to try this?

20. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Singapore
    Hey Gabrien

In a nutshell - consider the online multiplayer part as the main course and the single player "minor contracts" as dessert. Making an account helps us save your data (since we are not using icloud). That way, you can switch between devices at your leisure and not lose any progress :D

I hope you'll still give it a shot though, because our purpose is not to track players but to ensure their data is saved and easily accessible! :D