Universal RAVENMARK: Mercenaries - (by Witching Hour Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Living Legend

Living Legend Well-Known Member

May 30, 2013
    You suck chocovanilla! Why'd you beat me. Your SO cruel!:)

2. ChocoVanilla

ChocoVanilla Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    SweetsTown, DessertVille, CandyLand
    #342 ChocoVanilla, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    Lol I also gave you pointers on how not to lose all of the Light Cavs in your Mallico's by turn 3. You rushed them so far ahead of all your infantry that I couldn't help but to charge them down. #Easypickings ;)

On a side note, I took a page from Nullzone's book when he beat me with the BAL and Charlies combo, albeit I was using different brigades from yours and had a closer game. It's actually a pretty ridiculous combo if you charge in with the boar and the cavalry and use the crows/corpsejumper to mop up.

3. Living Legend

May 30, 2013
    I WILL beat you. Someday...

4. ChocoVanilla

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    I welcome your challenge anytime lol. If you want me to play using specific brigades tell me beforehand so I can see if they're free. I'm honestly not that good. You should try challenging Nullzone for some true strategic challenge, or go on the official Ravenmark forums to find other really strong players.

5. Living Legend

May 30, 2013
    I can't find any brigades that suit me well.
    My record online is like: Wins: 3 Losts: 15

6. ChocoVanilla

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    You should try experimenting with a lot of different brigades because they all play so differently. It's good to start with a brigade like the Nettlesongs or the BAV because they're good in almost any situation and can be paired up with a diverse number of other brigades. I'd recommend the SOE reward brigades as well, as they're really quite good. Especially VVV, Semper Anticus and LQ, which are some of my favorite brigades.

7. Hound16

Hound16 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Agreed, the reward brigades are all excellent. I beat a blacksteel bastion/sin incognis combo the other day with mudders bane and another reward brigade (I think it was VVV).

Also I'd like to thank the developers for the lost boars brigade, it's cool to be rewarded for loyalty with something unique.

I just wish there were a couple more "premium" sotran brigades, they seem a bit under represented in comparison with the other factions.

8. ChocoVanilla

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    I agree. Fellwall gets crushed by cavalry, as does Ravensbane. Foxwing's is decent enough as a support brigade, but loses out on combat imo. The generic brigades can't hold out against captained ones, which basically leaves Charlies, BB and Lost Boars (which 99% of players don't own and never will).

9. Living Legend

May 30, 2013
    Charlie's stink. My boar dies at round 3 alaways

10. ChocoVanilla

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    It dies quickly, but I usually take out around 4-6 units with me before I die. It just works as a battering ram, especially because it has a full-power charge and hits two spaces. I played a game this morning where I took out 3 riflemen, Allison, and the enemy's standard bearer with Charlie before the opponent just forfeited. And it didn't die. ;)

11. lockecole7

lockecole7 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Seriously, double charge and two spots, he can take out an entire duece of archers in one attack.

12. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    If you can get used to the playstyle, Foxwing & Blacksteel is quite effective. Two forts that are huge damage sinks, can block, AoE and Heal-All. Plus the 3 Wockies. The 2 Deuces are just icing on the cake.

13. ChocoVanilla

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    Yea it's definitely a useful combo in the right situations. That's what I mean about Foxwing being more of a support brigade. Without the extra power of the Rath and the Wockies from Blacksteel, it wouldn't be nearly as effective. It needs to be paired with more offensive, mobile brigades for max effectiveness.

14. lockecole7

Jan 26, 2013
    IMO contracts need to be reworked altogether. The massive rate of failure on minor contracts makes the whole thing seem disappointing and lackluster, and skirmishes need to have different levels of difficulty for varying degrees of rewards, beside just the progressive HP increase. We need something to work up to even on single player.

Minor contracts are also a disappointment, yesterday I went like 25% success rate on them, no joke. And all of this on my level 4 Her Devoted brigade. That is basically my main source of exp for my high level brigades, and that % makes the whole random element seem counter...fun. Make the benefits more consistent. I can't remember the last time I got full silver on a contract.

15. ChocoVanilla

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    I haven't experienced as much failure of minor contracts as you seem to have, as the last time I failed more than 2 contracts/day was probably 5 days ago. I do however agree with you on the point of the silver benefits, as I just completed 4 contracts worth up to 70 silver, which all ended up giving me <25 silver.

16. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    I rarely win more than half of my contracts a day. I went from upper 90s to the 70s where I float on my highest faction, still no 100. I was using my level 2+ brigades fro higher pay out missions too.

17. Hound16

Hound16 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Contracts have random results, so obviously you will have some days where nothing seems to go your way. However, while at first I enjoyed sending out brigades and then reading the results of their labours, it eventually feels more like a chore to make money, even when successful, keeping me away from the real fun of multiplayer.

That said, I can't complain about the rewards after the recent patch, I've made tons of silver and bought 3 premium brigades; madmen, hebi nakama and fellwall few. And the multiplayer aspect is so deep it's astounding. I feel like I could play a couple of games a day for months and I would still only scratch the surface of all the available strategies.

18. lockecole7

Jan 26, 2013
    It's not a matter of rewards, as I've already purchased the elite edition, I just think they could give you a more engaging reason to come back day after day than the current option.

19. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Let me start with saying, I LOVE this game, but wanted to highlight what I see as the biggest flaws in the current design:

1. Minor contracts are weak sauce. Right now they're little more than once a day slot machine pulls that due to the results of random die rolls have a modest effect on favor, reward a modest amount of silver, and knock up to 7 brigades out of commission for some indefinite period of time. They repeat so often that the flavor text becomes invisible, player choices have no significant effect beyond brigade leveling, and they are in dire need of serious beefing up because they poorly mesh with the solid border skirmish and multiplayer aspects of the game.

2. Even a day for turns is too long with the griefers. Play this game for not long and you'll run into the people who see griefing as a strategy. If it's clear you're better than them, they'll just stop playing in hopes you'll choose to surrender to get your brigades back to play with someone else. Somewhere there has to be a happy medium between the ability to play infinite matches with your 2 best brigades because there are no limitations versus 24 hour lockouts of an entire division's worth of brigades due to asshats.

3. Speaking of divisions, they don't make much sense under the current game design. For the single player side of things, you're free to edit divisions willy nilly anyhow, so they don't exist except as an abstract concept, and for multiplayer, they're more liability than asset, leading to people being unwilling to assign brigades to all possible slots because of the lockout factor. Really seems as though the game would work better without divisions or, at least, a major revision to how assignments and lockouts occur.

4. I've seen the devs flip flop back and forth on this, but we need more balanced matchmaking for ALL random pair ups, not just the upcoming Arena.

5. Rewards for multiplayer need adjustment. The meat of the game design is for multiplayer competition, but the bulk of the rewards for the average player come from the single player side since multiplayer is strictly a winner takes all system. The incentive for beginning players is not to play multiplayer because it takes brigades out of the pool for an unknown amount of time (possibly days) and likely yields no reward. Even for more experienced players, until your win-loss ration is around 50/50 or better, you're still more likely to take home more silver from the single player content than multiplayer.

6. Friend games need *something* to make them count. I understand the potential pitfalls of collusion and duplicate accounts and all that fun stuff, but there has to be something that can be done to make them more substantive than they are currently even if it's something fluffy and cosmetic as opposed to loot and brigade experience. Brigades are a limited resource, assigning a brigade for a friend game is not just missing out on the reward from that match, it's also missing out on the rewards it isn't earning while involved in the friend game.

20. Estupendo1

Estupendo1 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    An good tactics guides out there?

An good tactics guides out there?