Universal RAVENMARK: Mercenaries - (by Witching Hour Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 21, 2013.

1. lockecole7

lockecole7 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Yeah I've tried multiplayer but can't seem to get enough rounds in with other players to really get a feel for what works and what doesn't, blocking with zone of control is still viable in multiplayer, unless marsh runners and the like are used...maybe I just gotta wait till arena before I can really get a feel for things

2. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    As another poster said, no, it is not necessary to purchase the original to play this one, or, I figure, to gain understanding of the game in and of itself. That said, if you find yourself at all entertained by any aspects of this game beyond the multiplayer aspect, you would be doing yourself a huge disfavor by not getting the original...

First, you can think of it as the ultimate tutorial. There's around 60 structured and highly tuned single player missions involving most of the same units and rules (stats are different, yes, but gameplay is essentially the same). Because it's aimed at telling a story via a single player game, maps tend to be more unique and interesting than what is found in RM:M as an added bonus.

Second, playing through each campaign (six in all) in RM:SOE earns you a free, unique brigade in RM:M you can't get any other way.

Third, it is one of the finest field level strategy games on any platform. Reminds me of the sort of depth found in the Total War series, but in the palm of your hand.

Fourth, the story and lore is far beyond anything short of a deep, niche PC game (the story and world stems from a D&D campaign one of the lead designers ran for several years), and the presentation is first rate in the style of the Fire Emblem series. The story told in RM:SOE feeds right into the world situation that RM:M is set in, so while there is no necessity of playing through it, it adds to the sense of immersion knowing why things are currently so chaotic that it's a golden age for these mercenary troops.

3. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Not to mention the huge 30 unit battles in the first game

4. Quintus

Quintus Member

Jun 23, 2013
    Is there a sort of ranking system implemented?
    I faced around 5 new guys(braccians,standard brigades) initially but when I start the next few games I meet MostBlunted,Croaker and the lot.

So does that mean, that I'm out of the "safety zone" of the multiplayer or something and will get matched with more experienced guys?

5. ChocoVanilla

ChocoVanilla Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    SweetsTown, DessertVille, CandyLand
    I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. After facing Nullzone this morning I played one match that lasted 8 rounds and two forfeits, all with standard brigades.

6. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    I play a lot of the same people. Random matches never seem to work out.

7. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #287 Nullzone, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
    @lockecole:
    Feel free to send me an invite, if you want to practice.
    Let me know if you want to fight a certain setup.
    What's your Commandername, by the way?

Ranking system:
    Does currently not exist.
    MP games are matched by first come first served: there is no real queue, as soon as a second player is looking for a random game, you will play against each other.
    WHS has an ELO-style ranking system planned for the upcoming Arena, though.

8. lockecole7

Jan 26, 2013
    I think my commander name is Rhosa. Definitely love to play you Null. You obviously are a vet

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I sent you an invite, see you on the battlefield.

10. lockecole7

Jan 26, 2013
    If anyone is looking for a player who won't curb stomp you but knows his shit, Nulls a nice guy. :)
    He played his basic units against me. I'm also looking to play some people, I have my phone on me at all times so it's not an issue doing my move within an hour or two. Commander name is Rhosa.

11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks for the compliment, Locke ;)
    If you want to make sure I don't bring the heavy guys out to play, e.g. because you are new and want a few practice matches to get your feet wet, best shoot me a PM here or on the R:M forums.

12. Hound16

Hound16 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    How cool is this game? It's really exceeded my expectations. The ravenmark formula translated really well to multiplayer. I'd love to see rewards for winning multiplayer matches go up a bit though, seems strange they get you so much less than minor contracts yet take up way more time. Maybe the upcoming arena matches will be more rewarding.

Oh yeah, I also think weather and terrain effects would be really cool, like random rain turning a match into a dirty slug fest with ranged troops being less effective, or snow slowing some units down or whatever.

Finally, I'm also open to some practice matches, against any brigades you happen to have. Commander name BloodHound. Happy hunting :)

13. lockecole7

Jan 26, 2013
    I'd definitely love to play your better units to see what I'm missing out on. Debating on dropping the $50 for the elite edition, since I think I'm just too busy to make enough silver to purchase the brigades I want to. Anyone here who isn't spending money getting anywhere purchasing the better brigades, or should I just cave in, and get the elite. Moneys not really the issue but I do enjoy a good grind gradually getting better and better brigades.

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    The big 50$ elite edition pack is great bang for the buck. No complaints there, I got it right on day one.
    While you miss out on earning the units for yourself, you can play around with all the different units right from the start.

And you asked for it, sent you an invite with some of my "more interesting" units. Gloves off this time :)

15. ChocoVanilla

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    #295 ChocoVanilla, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
    If you can dedicate about 5 min/day on and off just to do minor contracts, that's approx. 500-600 a day just doing minor contracts. Also assuming that you're relatively quick at completing skirmishes against the AI, that's about ~40 silver per skirmish, which usually takes me about 7 min per. That's not including multiplayer and any Lodestones you may get. If you're really in a rush to get your Sins and your Nettlesongs, then by all means buy the Elite edition. Otherwise, you don't really have to dedicate a ton of time to slowly build up the silver you need.

EDIT: Also, silver doesn't really have many purposes in the game atm if you decide to buy the Elite. The only thing you can do is unlock additional army slots. I don't know when WHS will release more brigades, so you may lose out on the joy of unlocking each hard-earned brigade lol.

16. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    I know that I found it fairly easy to get silver before this released state side, but I wanted to support the dev for the fun I had from the first game as well so I spent the $50. Worth it - just wish I had more time to play. I find that if I try to play when I am busy, my style just stinks.

17. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @ChocoVanilla: WHS more or less announced new brigades to come soon, like the Nil Athair.

@jsrco: don't worry about your style. with more practice, you can play many things on autopilot.

18. lockecole7

Jan 26, 2013
    Yeah, I've done the math, it's just that working 5-7 days a week long hours, I don't have much time for a grind but I do enjoy earning brigades. At this point I think I'd enjoy playing around with different brigades moreso and just getting the elite.

Also without any rewards and purely for fun and experimentation, why does a friendly match hold up brigades? I think if you want to encourage experimentation you should make it so that friendly matches don't hold brigades up, unless there's an issue server wise with that.

19. ChocoVanilla

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    Good to know. I'm hoping they'll be released in line with the new arena.

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    It doesn't. Invite matches do not have a brigade cooldown. Only random matches do.