Universal RAVENMARK: Mercenaries - (by Witching Hour Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    There are specific bonuses. The type on the left of my list does extra damage to the type on the right. While the right one does less damage to the left one.
    Spearmen -> Cavalry . Spearmen also negate the Cav's "Charge" ability, and do extra damage instead when it is used against them.
    Cavalry -> Archers
    Archers -> Infantry
    Infantry -> Spearmen

"Support" type units are exempt from that, they do not get any bonus/malus against any unit type.

2. Uberskooper

Uberskooper Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Elements get a damage bonus against certain other elements. For example, spearmen get a bonus against cavalry that's included in the damage equation. It will give certain elements the edge against others, but it isn't a complete hard counter. For example, even though infantry get a bonus against spearmen, elite spearmen will still beat mediocre infantry.

3. lockecole7

lockecole7 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Also, where does it state that cavalry can charge right past zone of control? I had two brigades set up where spearman would hold my sides and I had an infantry trice in the middle with 3 archer dueces in the back. Well my entire strat was ruined when all the cavalry rode right I between the one tile between my polearm dueces and middle trio killing all of my archers. I know formations lose side zone of control, but not polearm formations, and again it never specifically states that cavalry bypasses zone of control.

4. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Creative Lead//Witching Hour Studios
    Depends on the cavalry. Some elements have the outmanoeuvre ability that allows them to bypass zone of control. What were you up against?

5. Xinhuan

Xinhuan Member

Jul 13, 2013
    An Element Type with an advantage of another type enjoys a +40 Attack Power bonus. (The Ranged type bonus on Infantry only works for Ranged attacks.) This roughly translates to +40% damage, which is then modified by armor and other stuff. 10 points of armor reduces damage by roughly 10%, so a unit with 20 Attack Power attacking a unit with 20 Armor would be on par with a 0 AP vs 0 Armor.

The damage multiplier is basically (100 + AP) / (100 + Ar). See http://forum.ravenmark-saga.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23

This is a bug we are looking to fix tomorrow on the server side. The cavalry is not supposed to be able to walk past the polearm dueces flanks (unless it has the Outmanoeuvre ability). We have not fully identified the cause yet, but we have replicated it.

6. ChocoVanilla

ChocoVanilla Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Traveller
    SweetsTown, DessertVille, CandyLand
    I am extremely excited for this, especially as a former chess (and LoL) player with knowledge of the ELO system. Adding a defined ranking and matchmaking system will definitely allow for the more competitive (and time-wary) players to indulge in some speedy games. Looks like I'll have to pay more attention to the official forums, as there seems to be a ton of useful posts there.

7. lockecole7

Jan 26, 2013
    Great! Thought I was going crazy. I did have an infantry trine right next to both holes where the cavalry broke through, so maybe that's overriding the polearms ability to control zone? I forget exactly which cavalry it was, but it definitely didn't have outmaneuver, all it had was charge.

8. wharfrat1979

wharfrat1979 Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Love the game so far. What about larger battles? So far all my battles have been two vs two. Are there 4v4 games. I love epic size battles. How hard would it be to incorporate terrain bonuses? I play warhammer fantasy and this game is totally fulfilling that need for turn based table top battles. Again great job.

9. lockecole7

Jan 26, 2013
    Anyone able to share good brigade mixes, or any veterans able to layout good brigade combinations/basics to look out for? Especially the less expensive/more basic ones?

10. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Co-Founder, Witching Hour Studios
    Singapore
    fellwall few is one of my preferred brigades. but you'll need to get another brigade with pikemen to protect those horsies :D

i also like using nisshonen and saving the sunsouls for last ... nothing beats suiciding on troops with half health ;) i took out the bulk of someones troops by keeping 1 of my sunsouls back

11. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Creative Lead//Witching Hour Studios
    Heya all! Border Skirmishes for the Minor Nations are now available!

Will you help Brac in their civil war? Or perhaps the noble Aster Tribe with rabid warbands? Good luck on the battlefield!

12. lockecole7

Jan 26, 2013
    Fellwall doesn't have cavalry, do you mean to be protected from horses?
    R

13. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Co-Founder, Witching Hour Studios
    Singapore
    exactly - its because cavalry can take them out easily, that you need another brigade with more spearmen :D

14. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    What's the difference between this and the other Ravenmark? Do I need to purchase the original one to understand this one?

Is there anywhere I can view all the units in this game?

15. Xinhuan

Xinhuan Member

Jul 13, 2013
    We might have battles in the future that involve deploying 3 brigades. If this happens, the 3rd brigade would likely be deployed at the start of Round 2. But not promising anything yet! A technical issue is the memory limits to load all the different units in battle if we allow more Brigades to march into battle.

Both games offer an in-game Codex that you can view containing all the units. However, the units are balanced differently in each game. The original Ravenmark (SOE) is intended to be a single player experience with an epic story, while this one (Mercs) is intended to focus on the multiplayer experience, so it does not have much story content (at least, not at the level of SOE). Playing the original is absolutely not required unless you love lore.

16. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Nisshonen & Hebi Nikama , for extra Boom! :)

My personal favorite aside, you asked a HUGE question there:
    Can you narrow it down a bit, by telling what playstyle you prefer? E.g. fast charge with lots of Cavalry, slow but steady with Heavy Infantry, massive Archer fire?

From the starter Brigades, I have a tie between the Sotrans (especially the Brig combo that gives you 3(?) Cavalry) and the two Braccian Brigs (very durable).
    While Tellions have the best Archers (5 range), I just cannot warm up to them.

17. lockecole7

Jan 26, 2013
    I'm a big fan of the concept of keeping the offenders at bay with durable trines/elements and chipping away with your ranged elements and being able to flank susceptible opponents with cavalry/special units.

So far my most effective combo of my lower end brigades are 2nd braccians and belials bastards, based off of how effectively they beat the AI. I might replace 2nd braccians with Her Devoted though...I'm only through the 2nd campaign of SOE so I don't have all of those brigades.

18. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Against more experienced players you will quickly notice that blocking does not work too well on most maps. Guess what I use the Sunsouls for? Even on maps with tight chokepoints (like that beach map with the stake obstacles), blowing up the blocking unit usually opens the field up.

Fighting the AI is a good first measure of how effective a Brigade / Combo is. Just keep in mind that playing vs. AI is quite different from playing against another player.

Her Devoted are good, and Phoebe's "Mesmerise" (makes a single enemy unit defect to your side) is a great situational bonus. But don't underestimate the Braccians, their Infantry is tough.

19. Xinhuan

Xinhuan Member

Jul 13, 2013
    As a followup, we have identified the issue and intend to hotfix this on Monday after we have put some testing in. The weekend beckons!

20. Brony234

Brony234 New Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Hello. Brony234 here (ingame name: Arelius)